August 15, 2026

matter of fact

A friend was telling me about his brother-in-law who talks on and on and on about stuff that no one else is interested in! Matter of fact, some of you might think he was using his brother-in-law as an analogy to my writing in this “It’s Saturday.” It could be! You decide!

When we use “matter of fact” we might use it to mean different things; at least I do.

I don’t think I’m thankful enough for my life and events of my life. Matter of fact, I was reminded recently of this by being around a group of friends when back in Aplington, IA. They are great folks and have affected and still affect my life. I take them as a matter of fact sometimes, too lightly, take them for granted. CoachB says—The people we are around sure do make us feel good or not sooo good; it depends on our friends, that is for sure; some lift us up and some drag us down. My friends have a lot of responsibility in directing me down the road of life let me tell ya (i.e. they have their hands full for sure)! hahaha

I was on my early morning walk the other day and this guy riding his electric bike stopped and encouraged me about my walking (i.e. I felt he over did it a bit while sitting on his electric bike). He said it in a matter of fact way a.k.a. a very important deal like a matter of fact! It is hard maybe to self-evaluate ourselves, I think. I wonder how folks evaluate me as I sometimes evaluate others (e.g. I might say to myself, so and so don’t see the big picture of their life; they are fooling themselves, not facing reality). Many businesses evaluate their employees in a way of helping them soooo they can improve (i.e. they discuss their good points and weak points). In real life, we don’t do that too much. It’s not socially accepted (i.e. evaluation is not accepted very well by others sooo we don’t do it). We sometimes just let them kick the same can down the same street all their life. A friend told me that they think many folks don't care what others do as long as they don't bother their life. Ouchy ouchy!

Matter of fact they both got my attention and set examples for me recently. One’s example was how I do not what to act and another was how I would like to act. One was very humble and gracious and the other very cocky and self-glorifying. And both probably will never know I thought that about them. Listen up, if you and I think that of them, then a lot of others do too; you and I aren’t the only two that are that smart let me tell ya. We are just two of the million ants on the ant hill!

Life is an exciting challenge a.k.a. an opportunity (i.e. that’s my opinion)! ItchieBitchie says--"Matter of fact, if we actually wait until we feel like it, we might not do anything at all. And it seems like some folks never do much!" Lisa asked if she and her husband could sit with me at Costco to eat our hotdogs. She was 85 and he was 83. Eventually she told me—"If people live long enough, they all seem to get to know Jesus." Well, the older I get, I learn more and more that many times the best response is for me to say is nuttin! Maybe those two are about the same! I don’t know. My Mom, Anna, would say to me--erv, if you can't say something good about someone, don't say anything. But, she use to correct me when I was wrong. Is that an oxymoron?

I planted some Zinnia seeds in a planter pot in honor of my Mom, Anna, she was such a sweet, great person and Zinnias were one of her favorite flowers. Maybe I planted too many in the planter as they really need to be watered three times a day or they will wilt severely (i.e. but it is amazing that water will perk them right up again). Also, they always turn to the light. Also, they respond to fertilizer. What is the analogy of these Zinnia plants to our lives. Matter of fact, all of you are smarter than the AverageJoes soooo you figure it out; well, all of you are smarter except maybe for one of you and you know who you are! hahaha

Esther of Grace writes, Looking for the gold…in every person…in every situation. It is a matter of fact (in my opinion!) that people want to be seen. I am often reminded to look for the gold - to be intentional about seeing the good in people I encounter.--- I was ordering my lunch and was surprised when I was told “Today’s special is a free sundae!”. One of my love languages is chocolate (and if in ice cream form, all the better!) so I told the lady how happy this little gesture made me, and she responded with sincerity that she too loves a frozen treat. “I always get one when I’m at the hospital.” I asked if she worked there and what she told me blew me away. She works directly with women who are going through what she went through not so long ago. Taking incredibly tough struggles and uncovering beauty and hope. As she shared more of her story, which would bring most people down in the hardness of it all, she instead beamed with pure joy. I commended her for using her difficult life experiences and her gifts in helping others. And her smile got even bigger! She knows what she is doing is changing lives for good. Her work at the hospital and the sundaes she gives away - gold - and today, I was blessed in hearing a bit of her story.

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans.

erv

MyDeceasedFriendJean said--Those who help early, help twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment