October 10, 2026

contentious

We were going down I-82 and got behind a gas transport; this is what they had on the back of their truck! Soooo beware, I'm not hauling milk in this "It's Saturday."

Do any of you need to have the last word all the time? Do any of you always think you are right? Can you just not say anything when someone says something and let it be; ya don’t have to add to it or take anything away from it but just let it be? Do any of you just like to argue to just argue? I wonder if that is me sometimes, yes I do! I think I can be contentious at times. The most popular antonyms for contentious are words that mean peaceful, agreeable, or undisputed.

Napoleon was quoted as saying that people rise "by their adaptability to circumstances, not always being right.”

What are your favorite synonyms for contentious? There are some colorful ones. What is the one that comes to your mind first?  Isn’t there a song that goes like this—what ever you can do I can do better?

We were having breakfast at Pismo Bay one morning when on our trip. I asked our waiter what his name was—Markus, who was about 19—where did you get your name—my mom was a believer and my dad wasn’t, my mom wanted it to be Mark and my dad didn’t sooo they compromised. Soooo which way did you go—my dad’s, I don’t believe in Jesus as my savior but believe there was such a person; I went to Catholic school for12 years; I’m spiritual but not religious and I don’t worship in any church or use any certain method. We wish you the best Marcus—thank you, I appreciate it.

I saw this in a window of a costal beach trinket shop. It caught my attention. What does being “cheeky” mean I thought. Is that a positive or negative statement. Is this a contentious statement. Are we pretty cheeky?

Am I being contentious with you or even with myself in thinking this thought? When we have a visit with a friend or family member (e.g. have breakfast together) it is different when we are "one on one" instead of let’s say when there is another person with us? I think another person can change the whole expression of the relationship; it becomes watered down or even completely changes like becoming saccharine; maybe more comfortable for some but not near as effective. I think we are not giving the relationship with this other person our complete attention; almost an easy way out; don’t talk about the real issues of friendship but just merely being wishy washy! We act more like a wet wash rag! That is my opinion.

Quarrelsome, argumentative, noncoachable, or, controversial! Do any of you remember the popular radio show that became a weekly tv program in the early 70 called the Bickersons. It was made by copying real people. What made it popular was because they turned harsh, relentless marital bickering into fast-paced and biting comedy that resonated with post-war American audiences. Saturday question--Do Bickerersons still exist today? Why do people bicker? I read in the Book it is because we always want our way a.k.a. thinking we are always right! Ouchy ouchy!

A pugnacious person! Do you or I need to have the last word about everything? Think about that? Do we always think we are right all of the time or have all the answers? Do we never agree with anyone or have to add our opinion because we think we are smarter than others? Do we like to disagree with everyone and everything? Do we think we are king of the hill? ItchieBitchie says—It’s hard to be humble when you are as smart as I am. MissPerfect says—Surely I would never act that way (i.e. who me) but I know people who do like my sister-in-law. Da!

Esther of Grace says--We decided to spend the morning at a new (to us) beach in southwest Maui. We love to snorkel, so we grabbed our gear and swam out, enjoying the incredible view. The colors were bright - coral, anemone, algae, sea urchins - some with long red spines, some deep black, and such a variety of equally colorful fish. -- My husband and I have a few hand signals when we snorkel. It is a good way to let the other person know what we've spotted - one for octopus, one for turtle, another for our favorite fish, and of course one for shark. Half-hour into our swim, he was enthusiastically giving me the shark signal. My eyes darted around me, my heart hammering in my chest. He motioned for me to follow him and I did. And there it was swimming 100 yards or more from us. A black tip reef shark. I had the underwater camera wrapped around my wrist, which didn't even cross my mind, mostly because I was focused on getting back to shore as quickly as I could. I am not a strong swimmer, but I could have broken records that day. My husband followed me, smart man. We got back on dry land and the first thing he said was "Did you get a picture?"  Pretty sure we know the answer to that question; for goodness sake I still wasn't even breathing normally. -- This happened a good ten years ago, and it is still brought up how safe that shark was and how could I have not taken a picture! I hold my ground, perfectly content with my decision to flee.  And let me have the last word that it was most definitely closer to 10 feet long, not a 3-foot-long pup. Don't even get me started.

A facetious person! There is a second hand store in Yakima that’s name is 7 times 7. I didn’t get it sooo I researched it. It is used in social media as saying finding something special, unique or a treasure. I never heard of it before. It’s called “the 7x7=49 Meme.”  Maybe I’m being contentious, but I think it’s crazy! I think it’s just syrupy talk. You like syrupy talk or do you like talk that's more like “get to the point." But syrupy talkers never are contentious it seems. Sooooo! Oh, by the way, Galen told us that San Francisco is 7 miles by 7 miles when we were touring it (i.e. I have no idea if that means anything but folks can argue that)! The tee shirt pic is my brother-in-law's. I guess you know how he feels! But that can be argued! Oh, what is the metaphor meaning of 70 X 7?

I was not trying to be disputatious but I was just plain bored. An YakimaBirderGuy invited me to go with him to a lecture by a world renowned birder about the migration of praetor birds. It sounded interesting so I went. The first 15 minutes was good but then the next hour and a half it was really boring to me. I told Rich that I had to go to the bathroom (i.e. I really did have to go). Rich came into the bathroom a little latter and said--let's go: I'm bored out of my gourd (i.e. I think he was just being nice to me as he is a birder). Lesson, I learned AGAIN that we all talk to long and write to long because we think we are really important (e.g. like we are the only folks who have grandkids or the only ones who ever went on a vacation). JoeBlow says--who, what, me?! But remember folks, I'm just a little ol' farm boy from a mile and quarter south of Roseland, MN. Now if the subject was something I was really interested in, it might have been a different story!!! hahaha

Who is a devil's advocate? My conclusion of the mater is--People often avoid contentious individuals because frequent arguing, criticism, or confrontation can make interactions feel tense and exhausting (i.e. basically it’s all about them). When I’m around folks where every conversation seems likely to become a debate, I would rather pull thistles bare handed. Even when BigBertha has valid points, her aggressive or combative manner wants to dominate; I prefer real folks with good kind hearts. CadillacJack says--Bottom line, contentious folks are a pain in the butt! That is CadillacJack's opinion! But any contentious person might want to argue that point!

FYI I have been told by an educated person in this area that oppositional behavior might be a disorder called Oppositional Defiant Disorder which can be treated.

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

erv

MyDeceasedFriend said--The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness.



No comments:

Post a Comment