“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into
trouble. It’s what you know for sure, that just ain’t so” - Mark Twain
Remember folks, I’m just a little ol’ farm boy from a mile
and quarter south of Roseland, MN where we basically back then made all our decisions by the seat of our pants; and that is about
all we had to make our decisions on ! You know what I mean! No analyticals!
People say to me a lot, “you know” but I really don’t know a
whole lot and the older I get I realize I even know less but they keep saying
to me, “you know
erv.” I have to stop them and tell them I really don’t know, tell
me what I’m suppose to know. I do know Joe Whoknowseverthing thinks he knows everything but doesn't know what he doesn't know! You know him too. I bet you know what I mean! Joe Smart asks--How do we know what we don't know?
I follow Mariner baseball and sorta kinda enjoy it as a
hobby since I now live in WA. They are hard for me to follow at times as they
can’t hit very well. They are 29th out of 30 major teams in hitting.
Not too long ago they were the worst. It’s hard to win a whole lot with a team batting average of .232. That is what the analyticals say a.k.a. real data, the facts.
Baseball and other sports are really using analyticals in making decisions,
putting the odds in their favor in many coaching decisions they think. It’s
sorta kinda having AI doing the coaching, you know!
The downside of making decisions from analyticals is that there are no feelings in decision making, no human side. No intuitive or using hunches
or guesses or faith. It’s just facts. I also hear it’s done in education as
well—to get into certain schools or areas of education it is based strictly on
grades and test scores. I question if that is just a good idea, as then it is the
analyticals that only count. They think the proof is in the pudding!
We were walking on the Pismo Beach Pier out unto the Pacific Ocean.
We saw sea lions and sea otters and we met a couple, Earl and Judy, who live in
Southern CA. We met them because I had my IA tee shirt on and they asked if we were from IA.
They have strong connections with Orange City, IA which is the home of
Northwestern College, my alma mater.
We
had a great visit; they are Dutch folks who go to the Christian Reformed
Church. Earl had this pin on with 2 question marks as you can see. I asked him
what they are about.
First question is if you die tonight, do you
know for certain that you’re gonna go to heaven and then the second question is
when you get there why would the Lord let you in. Analyticals!
You know in many businesses, analyticlals are used for merit-pay.
If you produce more, you get paid more. That is for profit businesses;
non-profit organizations maybe not as much. You know that merit pay makes sense to some but not to everyone. Maybe, if folks are good in
what they are doing, they like the system and if…they don’t. You know what I mean!
You know the future sure appears to be heavy on analyticals with the
use of AI. You know we can gather data and facts in incredible ways, in large amounts
and at amazing speed. It’s bound to change our lives if we like it or not. As I
was waiting in line the other day for my hotdog at Costco, another guy was
waiting as well. He was a soft-spoken guy of about my age and said—I never
thought I would order my hotdog at Costco on a computer, but I just did. I
can’t imagine what our grandkids will be doing in the future and what their
lives will be like. I’m worried for them.
Cal Raleigh of the Mariners was their star last year, I mean
the big dog. This year he can’t hit (i.e. his batting average is .179). That really
stinks. Most teams would not have him on the team and would send him down to
the minors. Last year because he did soooo well, they extended his contract
another 6 years for millions and millions of dollars. Now they don’t know what do do with
the guy. Here is the flip side of the story—Last year he handled himself with
great poise and humility with all his success. They say, this year he acts the
same. He’s a class act but he can’t hit this year! Now what?
I read recently what Oswald Chambers said that really caught
my attention. He said—“Beware of an abandonment that has a self-interested
spirit in it. If we give something to God only because we want something in
return, there is nothing of the Holy Spirit in our abandonment; it is
miserable, commercial self-interest…When we are forced to choose between our
natural relationships and Jesus Christ, most of us desert him.” Ouchy ouchy! Do
the analyticals folks. You know what I’m talking about!
I had a problem with my laptop computer in that I couldn’t
get the screen to extend. I thought I tried everything but no luck soooo I
asked my MI-wizard for his advice. He said the normal—reboot! I tried that
again but no success. I tried using the touch screen and all of sudden it got
fixed; I have no idea what I did. The wizard then told me this—
”Occasionally,
I have seen older laptops (4+ yes old), start acting odd, due to the soder on
the motherboard getting too hot and losing its connectivity. It's not super
common, but older laptops which are not shut off regularly, are susceptible to
this. It's kind of like if you've never slept to let your brain rest, you would
start acting odd too.” You know what he is talking about. No analyicals needed folks!
We have had a lot of time in a beautiful setting (i.e. I
call it as I l looked out the back window of the house we are at, I call it the Garden of Eden) and also walking
on Pacific Ocean beaches to ponder, medicate and just think (i.e. a great
opportunity to be still and quiet). You know the feeling! Well, I thought about
a lot of things, no question. Some of my thoughts were perplexing and confusing
and some very joyous! I admit it! Here is one of my many thoughts that I read
and thought about--Keep what serves you or inspires you. Remove what distracts
you.
Esther of Grace says--"Did you know walking is one of the best things we can do for our bodies? At least that's what I remember my doctor telling me years ago. Even better if we can find a hill or two to climb and get our heart rate up. Even better still to have a friend to walk with. And dare I say perfect if the walk is on one of our Valley's gorgeous trails, and my (energetic) pups are with us. -- We got our oldest pup just before the Pandemic. Who knew she was what would get me moving every day for those long months of feeling like we were pent up at home. I met new friends at the park, appropriately masked and distanced, and we walked and talked. It was so life-giving! One of those friends continues to be one of my favorite walking partners... and accountability partners. Another healthy benefit for our body...and soul. -- That same energetic pup and my newfound love to be moving outdoors got me connected to another friend who loves to hike. She introduced me to some great trails in our area. Inclines for our heart health, miles of wide-open space and fresh air for our body health, and deep conversations for our soul health. -- Sounds like a pretty good equation to me, An energetic pup (or dear friend... or both) + great outdoors + a hill or two = Happy heart. Happy soul.
Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:
erv
MyDeceasedFriend Jean said--The door of opportunity won't open unless we do some pushing.
No comments:
Post a Comment