February 9, 2013

yips

Disclaimer--The two hardest things to handle in life are failure and success.  I have no idea if this "It's Saturday " is failure, success or neither.  I guess you will be the judge.  WildWilly asks--How do you really know what success or failure is anyway?  Do others determine that or do each of us determine that in our own minds?  I'm confused here. 

Joesixpack says--Once you got them, you got them.  That is what Joexixpack says that about the yips.  Isn't it that way with a lot of things--Once you got it, you got it.  If you don't have it, you don't have it.  For you non golfers, the yips is the jerking of a golfers' putts uncontrollably.  Is it a physical problem or a metal problem?  It all depends who you talk to.  But it happens more when folks get older.  Is it nerves or what?  Personally, I think it's physiological.  But what do I know.  SusieQ says--Maybe the yips are like when I carry coffee, my hand is steady and the coffee never spills, but as soon as I start looking at the cup, the coffee starts sloshing around and spills!

I tell you what (i.e. I read this advertisement it in the paper soooo it must be right) -- High-yield savings account 0.90%!  Now that could give a guy the yips--high-yield savings account at 0.90%.  Wow!  If you use the 72 rule (i.e. take the interest rate into 72 which will tell you how many years it takes for your money to double) it will take us 80 years to double your money.  Soooo if you save $500 this year, in 80 years you will have $1,000.  We don't have 80 years soooooo Arlene and are going to the movies.  Yeps not yips or both.  MissPerfect says--There's a lot easier way to make $500; just marry it! 

By Mayo Clinic staff  Yips are involuntary wrist spasms that occur most commonly when golfers are trying to putt. However, the yips can also affect people who play other sports — such as cricket, darts and baseball.  It was once thought that the yips were always associated with performance anxiety. However, it now appears that some people have yips that are caused by a focal dystonia, which is a neurological dysfunction affecting specific muscles.  Some people have found relief from the yips by changing the way they perform the affected task. For example, a right-handed golfer might try putting left-handed.

This might give you the yips folks.  I read it in the paper sooooo it must be right--Nearly half of working Americans with college degrees are in jobs for which they're overqualified...It's almost a new normal...The number of Americans with bachelor's degree grew 25%, associate's degrees 32%, master's 45% and doctorate degrees 43%...Earnings with a bachelor's degree averaged $59,415 and folks with a high school diploma averaged $32,493.

Went on a hike with JoeTheHike the other day up to the Massacre Ground.  As the story goes, a Mexican would come every year and go up into the Superstition Mountains and take massive huge amounts of gold out and never tell anyone where he got it.  The Indians one year got this Mexican group up on an cliff and pushed them over the cliff.  That is how it got it's name. JoeTheHike told me that he has gone through 2 groups of hikers (i.e. the two earlier groups died or are in poor health and can't hike anymore).  I almost pushed him over the cliff.  I wonder if he's a bad omen folks.  I'm his third group.  He sorta kinda gave me the yips! 

A ol' golf buddy told us on the 10th tee one day that he was a very shy kid.  He wouldn't look at anyone and was intimated by all his peers.  Then one day he told himself that he was just as good as any of them.  It changed his whole life he said.  Is it really that easy?  It was too him.  Why do you think he made that change?  It was like turning on a light.  FlipThePancake--I was watching some college basketball the other day.  The announcer said about a excellent player--He shot 82% free throws last year and this year 54%.  He lost all his confidence and just throws up rocks now.  He is jerky and just plain bad.  What happened?  He lost his confidence the announcer said.  Maybe he just needs another tattoo!  Soooo what causes folks to loose their confidence anyway?  How can you make yourself believe in yourself and how can you let yourself not believe in yourself?  It has to be a metal thing doesn't it?  Does this confidence sway back and forth depending on the day?  Does your emotions and events have anything to do with it?  Do folks who are total obvious jerks (i.e. always think they are right) have more confidence than others?  Is confidence an eternal motor that runs without others seeing it?    

Up'erin'em'ermts the other day, my ATV driver told me that he believes in taking chances and he's not afraid of failure (i.e. if you take changes folks, failure will happen at times--no question). But if you don't take chances, your life is very stagnate, boring and unproductive (i.e. you got the yips). When you get the yips, you won't try anything. My daddy, Chester, always told me--erv, Everyone has problems; it's just that some folks handle them differently.  That is what he said.  Yabut it seems like some folks handle failures much different that others.  Some just plain can handle failures by letting failures just roll off their backs like water does off a duck's back.  Why is that do you think?  Superman is super but some folks make superman look like a weakling with their strong mental attitude. 

We spent part of a day with our ol' college friends from good ol' Northwestern College, Evan and Linda DeBoer.  They are just as nice as they have always have been.  It was just like old times.  What a hoot!  They surely don't give us the yips.  They are our kind of folks (i.e. good folks with massive huge hearts--real folks).  Talk  about ol' NW college friends--This is what Rocky wrote--I had a two for one breakfast croissant sandwich coupon from Burger King so on my way home from Grand Rapids airport stopped and ate them both, how dumb is that but enjoyed them.  Now that does give me the yips!  Such is life.

Saturday question--Do we ever get yips in our lives?  Do some folks ever get rather jerky and before you know it, they are really jerks.  Now that is a real jerk folks.  And it's not long and they are DuranTheWorms.  But think about this:  After something happens to us (i.e. either good or bad) we decide in our brain how we are going to react to this event (i.e. decisions have consequences and we get to make the decisions).  I think some times we get the yips.  A fellow pickle ball player told us that he went back to his park model the other day, went into it and said to the lady--you are not my wife.  He went into the wrong park model!!  Such is life.

She did not get the yips folks.  IASnowBirdJohn from the Fountain of the Sun went to play 9 at View Point just down the road a little on Hawes.  He told his wife he would be back about 11:30.  He walked in the house at about 4.  She asked him--where were you anyway?  Well, on the way home I picked up this hitch hiker.  She was attractive and very nice.  We enjoyed each others company and before we knew it, it was 4.  She said--Baloney, you played 18 didn'tja?

I had to laugh.  As I said, we went to Cavalia's Odysseo a couple of weeks ago under the big white tent.  It was impressive and expensive by my standards.  I realized that expensive tickets for a class act attracts a different type of crowd.  Yes it does.  I wonder if we sometimes get the yips when we are around different social/economical groups.  But we might think we are different but we are still the same.  Example--At the Odysseo there was a half hour intermission.  Arlene had to go to the bathroom soooo I went for a walk with her.  They were fancy portable bathrooms compared to just porta-potties.  I stood there waiting for Arlene for maybe 10 minutes and noticed all the fancy gals come by (i.e. all dressed up) me from the potties.  Arlene finally came and said the potties were not flushing--it was not pretty.  Sooooo no matter how fancy you are or think you are, if you have to go and urinate, you gotta do it no matter what the situation is (i.e. it's all equal).  I sorta kinda laughed.  Such is life.

It's hard to get up at 2 AM and jog when you are laying in satin sheets. ~Mike Tyson~  Comfort often does take away the drive to do what we need to do. Joesixpack says--Comfort is misleading sometimes I think.  It gives us the yips maybe.  We get tooooo much success and we just sit on the couch and eat chips.  We become very content and complacent.  The best way to get out of that mood it to go out and help somebody.  Get out of the stinkin' thinkin' mood. 

OnePuttTom says--Don't buy a putter until you had a chance to throw it!  I wonder sometime if my brain and my hands don't communicate very well (i.e. a little yippie).  How can I have a putt and hit it 10 feet toooooo long one time and 10 feet tooooo short the next.  There is something that isn't working!!!  I putted a round by not looking at the ball but just the hole. It's worked pretty good. Don't know if that is the reason but...! I read recently that Johnny Miller had the yips and won his last championship doing that. It really feels awkward but...! Those quick fixes never seem to work very long for me.  I need an expensive sports physiologist but I can't afford one soooo I guess I will just keep complaining!  Such is life.

If you have "Lack of believe" you have "Lack of believe"!  Believe me if you don't believe you can do it, you are right.  ItchieBitchie says--I introduced my wife to my ex-fiancee.  I told my wife that I never really did like her.  My wife got the yips let me tell ya.  It probably would have better if I would have never done that.  Some things you live and die with!  Such is life.

Recently I went over to a buddy's place to have a Clelada (i.e. Clamato juice and beer).  His charming wife said he has been in bed for 3 days before being sick for several others.  He is weak and lost 10 pounds.  I said--We need to get him to urgent care--she said--I think so toooo; let me talk to him; he wants you to come and talk to him--we got some clothes on him and threw him into my car and took him to urgent care.  He looked like walking death.  And he said he felt that way tooooo. Well they checked him out and he didn't have the flu.  Thought maybe he had urinary infection.  He didn't.  Finally he came  out and said they couldn't find anything wrong with him.  I said to his wife that there is something  wrong with him.  She needs to take him to er.  She did.  He had a stroke.  I don't understand why they didn't detect that.  That gives me the yips folks.  Went for about 9.5 mile hike upin'em'ermts yesterday with a couple of guys.  OhioDoug was excited about getting back sooooo he could sit in the hot tub with a beer.  He told me that beer makes you smart.  It made Bud wiser!!!

I read in the paper sooooo it must be right--NYC's 'Hizzoner' Ed Koch dies.  He was the epitome of the city's chutzpah.  Brash and bombastic, the acid-tongued politician once said in his autobiography:  "I'm not the type to get ulcers. I give them."  I bet he was a fun guy to work for (i.e give folks the yips)!  Think about this:  Do you think he had the same power around his wife and children and his dog?  I bet they just blew him off.  He might have had power over the city employees and support staff but I bet his family didn't pay much attention to his antics.  That is what I think. 

Phil Michelson wins the Phoenix Open.  He gets a new driver and hits it a mile and straight plus everyone likes him here in the Valley of the Sun.  You kidding me!  No, I'm not.  Those two things gave him a lot of confidence they say.  Yabut I know folks who buy new equipment and buy a new outfit but it doesn't affect their game.  Ya still need to have some grit and some ability--don'tcha!  But, somethings can change a person's confidence and change a guy's attitude.  It could be as simple as an email from a friend, a call from someone, a little accomplishment, a good night's sleep, a good read, a song, a visit with a friend, a good run/hike up'erin'em mountains etc.  Sooooo my friend went and bought a new driver--verdict is still out he says.  He didn't sound very positive about it (i.e. got the yips with it I think).  Usually that means it won't stay in his bag very long.  I think his grandson is going to get an early Christmas present.  Such is life.

Remember God is God and we are human.  BUT do you ever get the yips with dealing with God?  Do you ever wonder what He's doing anyway?  Do you ever get confused?  Mason says in his book, Gospel According to Job--"Is not the whole human race engaged in one long argument with God that is called 'history'?  The difference between believers and unbelievers is that while the former argue on speaking terms with the Lord, the latter do so by turning their backs and giving Him the silent treatment."  I know sooooo little and think I know sooooo much.  At times I get glimmerings of the Lord, glimmerings folks, glimmerings.  His greatness I cannot fathom.  And that's just the way it is.  I can accept this most of the time I think. 

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans.  (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--Before you know what direction to take, you have to know where you are going.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment