April 13, 2013

semantics

Webster says--Semantics is the language used (as in advertising or political propaganda) to achieve a desired effect on an audience especially through the use of words with novel or dual meanings.  Disclaimer--Be careful when reading this "It's Saturday" as I might be using semantics in affecting your subconscious.  You will never know folks.  Never!  LuckieEddie says--A simple chat with me could change your mind!!!  Oh yes!  A simple chat!  My # is 800-289-7783. 

Saturday question--What's a lot of money?  What's a lot of cookies?  A lot might be a different amount to different folks.  Soooo what's a lot of money?  Joesixpack says--Some people are so poor; all that they've got is money...Money is snot always the answer folks.  Benjamin Franklin said--A man is sometimes more generous when he has but a little money than when he has plenty, perhaps through fear of being thought to have but little.  He also said--"I would rather have it said 'He lived usefully' than 'He died rich.' "  Benjamin published Poor Richard's Almanack (i.e. very successful).  It contained much stuff including maxims such as Creditors have better memories than debtors; Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise; Fish and visitors smell in three days; The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise;  Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead.

The gospel according to erv might not be interpreted the same by you.  Your gospel might be different.  So is that semantics.  We live in the same world and see the same things.  Sooooo...Maybe it's 'a different way of putting it' with 'our own peculiar slant'.  We even interpret the Gospel of Christ differently now don't we.  Maybe 'cause we draw on our own experience, our own thought patterns, our own vocabulary, our different mental capacity, our different education levels, and maybe 'cause we have different hearts.  That cold be.  BUT the Gospel is true and it is the answer (i.e. gospel according to erv).  Many don't agree with my gospel!  Such is life.

LuckyEddie says--What I think is fun you might not.  I had a really
fun day last Saturday.  I got to ski with our little grand daughter Erin (i.e. age 5) and James at Loveland.  I was waiting for her coming down a blue run when a ski patrol guy stopped and asked me if that was my grand daughter.  I said ya.  That is such an opportunity you have; enjoy it and appreciate it.  I did!  James and I each took a couple runs by ourselves while the other skied with Erin.  I was riding up the lift with two boys in a three person lift.  We got talking and I asked them what their other hobbies were.  Then I asked them how old they were.  One said 10 and the other said 11.  One asked me how old I was--I said how old do you think I am.  One said 20 and the other said 30!  I asked them if they like to read and go to school.  They both said they did.  Then one said--Sooooo how old are you anyway?  67  I told them to get a good education, watch your diet,  and exercise.  Don't sit on the couch and eat chips and get fat.  It was quiet for maybe a minute and then one of the boys said--Sooooo we can ski when we are 67!

An apple doesn't fall toooo far from the tree!  That's called an idiom I think. 

Recently I turned on TV to watch some basketball while doing some business (i.e. multi tasking).  The TV station that the TV was on was the Golf Channel.  The show on was Feherty Live and he was interviewing Bob Knight.  I  watched it.  It was entertaining.  Knight used a small clip that was used when Feherty interviewed  Bill Russell.  I watched all of the interview with Russell.  He made this statement--True kindness is an act of strength. Knight did some color commentary when the Iowa Hawks played Baylor in the NIT finals.  He didn't spare any words when he said at the end of the game--Iowa got beat by a better team.  Baylor was better in all five positions.  Russell's interview http://www.golfchannel.com/media/feherty-bill-russell-030512/

When a golfer steps up up to the tee to hit the ball, their conscious changes to sub-conscious between addressing the ball on the tee and hitting it.  There seems to be a disconnect there somewhere.  The golfer says "great"!  Soooo did the golfer hit a good shot or a bad shot do you think?.  Well, if I heard the person say it, I could tell you.  But the word "great' is the same either way.  Does it have a new meaning at different times?  Is that semantics? 

Puns!  Major league baseball has started. JoeBaseball said--I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.   A hole has been found in the nudist camp wall. The police are looking into it.  A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital. When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was a nurse said 'No change yet'.  The store keeps calling me to come back and buy more bedroom furniture, but all I really wanted was one night stand.  Smaller babies may be delivered by stork but the heavier ones need a crane.  I did a theatrical performance about puns.  

Do you think different generations have different allusions (e.g. different generations have different expectations of their futures)?  I mean parents who are 70 years old, parents who are 50, parents who are 25 might have different expections for their chiildrens' futures.  Does different generations want the same things but just look at them differently (i.e. semantics)?  Maybe different generations think differently, talk differently and maybe act differently.  I think soooooo but maybe want the same things (i.e. like to be loved, be good parents, do good, enjoy life).  Maybe our culture just changes which in turn changes our thinking.  I asked a wise young person (i.e. a different generation than me) about what he thought about what the Supreme Court's decision will be.  He said--In five years it will be in the dustbin of history along with other eyesores like racial segregation and band on interracial marriage.

The word "No" can mean a lot of things.  It really depend who says it and how it's said.  WildWilly says--MissPerfect says no but she really mean yes!  Parents say no all the time to their children but they let them do it anyway.  I guess what they are really saying is no no no but if you beg long enough I will give in and make a no no no turn into a yes.  WildWilly says--It's sooo hard to 'know' what 'no' means sometimes.  I think 'know' and 'no' is a homophone. 

 I tell you what, GeorgeTheCrook doesn't really speak very well but he enunciates, pronounces, and articulates very well when he uses all his swear words and cuss works.  GeorgeTheCrook must work on those words more.  He's really good with those words let me tell ya.  I think he thinks that those cuss words and swear words are better than the normal vocabulary--GeorgeTheCrook, they're snot! Those cuss words and swear words are called colorful language by some, off colored language by some and bad words by others.  It's who you talk tooooooo.

I read recently that 60% of folks who have heart attacks while sleeping don't wake up!  Think through that one folks.  Is that semantics?  LuckieEddie says--Not on this earth anyway.  I just read while eating my oatmeal with a half a banana on it--The folly of a fool is deception.  Now that's pretty straight forward, isn't or do you read something different into it?  They say you can interpreter most anything any way you want to fit your thinking.  SusieQ says--Yabut when you step on the scale, it's what it is; you can't read more or less into it.  Such is life.

Putting a different spin on the same results folks ~ An interoffice softball game was held every year between the Marketing Department and support staff of one company. The day for the game came, and hard as the Marketers tried, the support staff whipped the Marketing Department soundly.  In their best tradition, the Marketing Department decided to find the best "spin" they could on the dismal result.  They showed how they earned their keep by posting this memo on the bulletin board after the game:  "The Marketing Department is pleased to announce that for the recently completed softball season, we came in 2nd place, having lost but one game all year.  The Support Department, however, had a rather dismal season, as they won only one game all year."

I write notes to Arlene.  She sometimes can't understand them 'cause for several reasons: 1. my handwriting is bad 2. I use abbreviations and not complete sentences and erv'sshorthand.  3. My writing sorta kinda is like Hebrew.  This problem with words and understand the meaning goes way back folks.  Travis West says--The Hebrew language is as different from English as any two languages can be. The structure of its grammar, the ways that words connect to make meaning (syntax), and even the range of meaning of individual words make reading the Hebrew Bible a profoundly cross-cultural experience. Not to mention a perennial challenge for translators! One passage that has confounded translators for centuries has to do with how many times Elisha strikes the waters of the Jordan River.

We skied on the top of the world.  Well, maybe that is playing with words but Loveland is on the Continental Divide right on top of the Eisenhower and Johnson tunnels.  You can see I-70  way down in the bottom soooooo...maybe it just feels like it's the top of the world.  Could be! 

You can read into this whatever you want.  Anyone can make words fit their situation.  Pastor Bruce said Sunday in CO that 41% of all Americans get divorced.  If you go to church, the percentage is about the same.  If you are under 40, the percentage of divorce is about 70%.  GULP!  Living together before marriage is snot the answer; if folks live together before marriage, the rate is even higher.  BUT if couples pray together, read the Bible and do a ministry together (e.g. small growth group) the divorce rate is 1 in 800 (i.e. that's less that 1%)!  Soooo folks, if you think you are going to fix your spouse with a little duck tape after you get married, I tell you what folks, the duck tape just ain't going to do it; it's just snot!  Pastor Bruce says--It's having a relationship with Jesus Christ folks.  I suggest we all read between the lines.  What do you think.  Such is life.

"And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth".
Then he made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans.  (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--The glory of life is to love, not to be loved, to give, not to get, to serve, not to be served.


No comments:

Post a Comment