December 24, 2016

nostalgia/real time

Christmas has many memories for all of us.  Some very good and some maybe not soooo good.  I think of my very special parents, Chester and Anna, and our family's Christmas traditions (i.e. I miss them and always will).  I have very good memories of some very simple Christmas activities growing up on the farm a mile and a fourth south of Roseland, MN.  I had a very simple, humble but happy childhood.  Our Christmas celebrations were the same. 

We would always go to the Christmas Eve church service at Roseland Reformed.  The service was the Sunday School program with all the kids performing etc. Yes, we got our bag of goodies.  Then we would go home and see what was under the tree for us. My dad, Chester, was usually always the first in the car waiting for us.  But not on Christmas Eve, he was always the last one out to the car.  I was maybe 12 and wanted the semi-automatic Remington 22 rifle that was in Ammerman Hardware.  I would look at it all the time when Dad and I went in there.  I wanted it sooooo bad.  Sooooo when we got home, I looked under the tree and there was a box the size of a shirt.  I fought tears very hard.  I opened the box and there was a note in it that said—look behind the couch.  There was the rifle. 

Maybe when I was about 8, I decided I was going to get some of the glitter and glamour that Donnie always got at the Christmas program.  He always sang the loudest and the old ladies would all pat him on the head and say how great he was (i.e. he always stole the show).  Soooo I sang as loud as I could and he sang even louder.  The difference was, I was a terrible singer and he was a good singer.  I don’t remember any of the old ladies patting me on the head and saying how good I was.  Maybe I embarrassed Chester and Anna but more than likely I gave them a good laugh! 

I wonder what our children, Heather and Chet, will talk about their Christmases growing up.  And they are now developing memories with their children and spouses.  I realize that not everyone has the same memories (i.e. some good and some maybe not soooo good).  But that was the past and now is now.  I guess we are all in charge of Christmas memories to some degree. I wish you the best in making those memories.  I hope that we all can get over memories that maybe aren’t sooooo gooood. 

My cousin Luther lived in Roseland growing up and emailed me this (i.e. printed with his permission) --My favorite Christmas memory is going to church in Roseland Christmas Eve and getting a bag of candy, peanuts and an apple. We would than go home and have a simple meal and open one present. Life was good! I Walked into the spare bedroom this weekend and it looked like the Toys-R- Us store. Our simple meal is king crab legs and twice baked potatoes and way too much food. What is Christmas without wine? Oh yah way too many gifts! The one thing that has not changed is going to Church Christmas Eve and getting a bag of goodies. I love Christmas Eve and now we have grand children to share it with. Luther Dykema

REAL TIME Our Christmas will be different this year; every Christmas is different which produces different memories.  But the real meaning of Christmas will always be the same for us. Christmas to us is the birthday of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

More real time (i.e.suggestion only)--Try to bring gratitude and compassion into every interaction you have at Christmas where ever you are and where every you go and whoever you are around. Hey, even make someone laugh if you can.  Those are great gifts (i.e. my opinion).

Merry Christmas from our home to yours and wishing you a Merry Christmas touched with wonder and filled with love.

erv and Arlene

P.S. Thanksamillion for all your cards, pictures, and notes.  We really enjoyed them.  It’s just amazing how families grow and mature.  It’s fun to see that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment