November 27, 2021

certainty

Your father always wanted you to be a nuclear scientist or a White House secret document shredder. But you became a truck driver. While traveling down I-95, your CB crackles into life. “Two-over-One here; do you have time to solve a problem for me? Over.” “Roger. Just cursin’ at double nickel. Over.

A friend, who seems to think well, doesn’t believe in certainty; like it is not certain even though many folks think it is a certainty. Or we hear folks say something and we are certain they are right, but they are not we find out later; they just thought they were or were just getting in our heads. Bingo! Some things aren’t always certain even when we think they are, or just ‘cause folks say they are; No way Gladys Louise! Whoopsie daisy! It’s not as certain as they thought it was; for certain (i.e. like the world is flat; who would ever think it could be round).

I question myself; it seems quite often that I spend toooo much time entertaining myself and not enough time learning.  I like entertainment and it is ok, but I want to learn more.  Is TV entertainment or do we learn?  I watch some sports; now that is entertainment for certain, I think!! I certainly really don’t learn anything (i.e. and you folks that love the news and can’t get enough of it; what is that). JoeBlow says—Learning is rocket fuel to life! I like to be around stimulating folks who like to learn as I learn from them. Those folks are you guys, except for one of you, and you know who you are.  Thanksamillion. I met a gal here in our park, that checks all the boxes, that likes to read business magazines and technology magazines; now that is learning; she says she has an interest in those two things. Wow!

RickyRick wrote--When I bought a birthday card for my granddaughter, I noticed something I’d never seen before in the greeting card section. They now have an entire section that offers birthday cards for the 80th, 85th, 90th, 95th, and even 100th birthdays! Growing up, I didn’t see those kinds of cards, because most people didn’t live that long. But now, life expectancy is much higher. If you’re an older adult, you may think it’s time to hang it up. I’m telling you, it’s time to get it down and dust it off! Do you think God is going to let you live 30 more years just to play golf?

I think this is a certainty--A small rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot chooses to go, even though the winds are strong.  In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. James 3:4-5 WorldClassLarry, who changes lives, says--Most people are careless with one of their most powerful resources: their words. If I offend any of you in any way I am sorry BUT if the shoe fits, such is life. Missperfect, who is rare air, says--erv, you say you never write about me but I'm sure you are writing about my friends a lot! Make this perfectly clear, I never write anything negative pertaining to any of you; you got that; sooooo don't take any of what I write personal. Why would I want to do that?

There is no certainty that this “It’s Saturday” will make your life better or easier.  It’s really a long shot!  A real long shot! Remember, you get what you pay for!  George Bernard Shaw said—"A reasonable man adapts himself to the world, but the unreasonable man continues to persist to adapt the world to him, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men.” I have three of my neighbors who have been successful long-time volunteer management of our park.  They all talked to me how to get things done and progress forward here in the park; there has to be compromise/cooperation between everyone; there has to be negotiation; some folks don’t seem to understand that; all parties can’t have it all their way; there must be give and take and then work together for the best of the park. Now think through that my friends.


 This is a certainty to me and I hope you have this certainty as well; the certainty is the opportunity to celebrate Thanksgiving with family and friends.  I am doing just that with our family in CO.  I am blessed for sure a.k.a. a certainty to be all together and get along with each other, but even more to have them as family (i.e. they are good folks with good hearts; my kind of folks.  Oh by the way--When our kids were young, they thought Dad knew everything BUT now when they are in their 40s, I don't know about that anymore (i.e. not a certainty). Hey, we went hatchet throwing. They didn't throw any at me!

PastorJohn (i.e. anybody can be a John) used the illustration of Satchel Page, a black baseball player that was a rookie at the age of 42 (i.e. because of his race) for the Indians and pitched in the majors until the age of 59.  When I was a kid, my Daddy, Chester, took me to a exhibition game in which he pitched a little in Willmar, MN.  He wanted me to see him.  At the time he didn't mean much to me. ANYWAY, PastorJohn used one of Mr. Page's quotes--Love like you have never been hurt (i.e. and he was hurt bad as well as all of you). SOOOOOOOO LISTEN UP KIDS AND GRANDKIDS--You can't hurt my feelings bad enough for me not to love you; it's impossible.  I actually have told quite a number of my friends the same thing.  I really mean that. You are that special. “If you pick up a hurting dog and help them, they will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man.”- -Mark Twain

OneSmartPerson, who seems to think very well logistically and who can really make life easier and clearer, asks—Does absence make the heart grow founder or is out of sight out mind more powerful? JoeTheTruckDriver says--I don’t know OneSmartPerson, it has to be one or the other for certain; it can’t be both; which one is it going to be? Test it and then tell me; make it an experiment.  Then you will make a hypothesis and maybe a theory and then maybe have accurate proof for making it a fact.  At least for you you know it is a certainty in your heart (i.e. isn’t that all that matters).  Happily ever after starts right now. Roger!

Down here in the Valley of the Sun in the “Senior Communities” there are some folks that can’t see very well, some can’t hear very well, some that can’t remember very well and some who no one can tell ‘em anything (i.e. they are always right).  And many of them have a lot of money and at some point in their younger years they had a lot of power and position.  Now maybe that can be a hard group to work with.  I realize that none of you fit into those categories; anyway that you will admit, but surely you have some in your neighborhoods, families, or communities (i.e. but surely none in our churches). Do you know how hard it is to try to change some folks?  But it is being done all the time; maybe we just don’t realize it.  Maybe we are sheep just being led to slaughter (i.e. it all depends who you talk toooooo now doesn’t it). But it could be. I don’t know for sure (i.e. it’s not a certainty).  What do you think? That is what I thought. It seems like everyone is taking shots at us older folks, everyone (i.e. it must say on our backs—easy target--sucker).  It seems like everyone is trying to scam us.  It seems like we can’t trust many anymore. And when we get older, we are maybe more vulnerable.  We become paranoid.  It seems like everyone tries to get in our pockets.  It seems like we can’t be careful enough. It seems like we can’t trust just anyone anymore. We better look out for ourselves as many times no one else does. ItchieBitchie says--It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Here is a real-life experience I just had or it is just erv in your ear!  Here in AZ there is a lot of dust as it is in a desert.  Dust gets on my car, deck and even in my house.  I try not to wear the same shoes in my house as I do outside which helps but my floor still gets dusty.  I asked a friend how often I should clean my floor.  She said—Some do it twice a day, some every day, some every couple of days, some every week and some hardly ever; it all depend what your personality can tolerate (i.e. a certainty).  Now she made me laugh.  Soooo I took my Swiffer and dusted my floors; it took me all of three minutes; my house isn’t very big.  Again, very funny to me.

This has to a be a certainty ‘cause multiple folks have told me the same thing (i.e. it was my first reaction toooo). There is an employee in our park who is very unhappy with himself, in fact a very bitter person.  He is mad at the world and acts that way consistently. He doesn’t have a winning attitude.  I wonder if he knows that.  I think it would be terrible to live that way, my opinion but maybe he likes it.  As a deceased friend would say to me—erv, decisions have consequences and guess who gets to make the decisions. JoeBlow, who runs a great wheel route, says—There are somethings we can’t control but our attitude is something we can. It's like what Donnie and Peggy Parents say to their child--you have choices and "it's your choice."

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

erv

MyFriendJean said—No matter what you say, you’ll never come out smelling good arguing with a skunk.

The tip of the day comes from a management wizard. His company will not have a meeting last longer than 40 minutes (i.e. organized and to the point); after that it is useless; attention span is gone.  ANYWAY, they have all their meetings at least 10 minutes apart soooo everyone has adequate time to get to them (i.e. it’s a pain to have folks come late).  I have learned here in the 55+ community that to be on time is sorta kinda 15 minutes early. haha Also the management wizard says they have all their meetings on one day which is Tuesday soooo it doesn’t disturb the working days (i.e. get a lot more done without meetings).  Da! Have any of you been at meetings that go on forever and nothing new is every said and nuttin gets done (i.e. many times it a couple of folks that like to hear themselves talk who have huge massive egos)?  I have for sure.  It’s a waste of my time (i.e. unless folks are getting paid by the hour; then no one cares; just drinking coffee and killing time to get to the end of the day). haha Related story—A executive told me that one of their team came late to a meeting and the manger told them to leave. They was sorta kinda put off the team and lost their position. Ouchy ouchy! Maybe he or she was pretty cocky coming into the meeting but left with their tail between their legs. The pic is of one of my top two brother-in-laws wearing his tee shirt that makes the point.

P.S. Thanksamillion for the tips to clean my tea cup.  All the tips were the same--use baking soda!

No comments:

Post a Comment