July 1, 2023

rare

My niece says--What do you get when you mix holy water with a laxative? A religious movement.

I have a friend who when ordering his steak says--I want it as rare as you dare! He’s an animal alright! Make no mistake about it, he’s rare! haha

I was walking on the golf course early the other Sunday morning and ran into a couple of friends who I played golf with since they were maybe 12 and now they are in their mid 20s. One is divorced and the other is getting married (i.e. life changes now doesn’t it). They were setting up a golf tournament for the day. They called it “The Heaven and Hell Tournament.” It was a four-man best shot with the first nine very easy and the second nine very hard. Both of these guys were raised by God-fearing parents and in the church sooo they know the concept of heaven and hell (i.e. that is becoming more rare in the American culture). Soooooo those who don’t believe in God and think that when they die, they are going to die like a pig at a slaughter plant, that heaven and hell concept of the golf tournament format doesn’t’ really mean much, I guess. I just can’t believe how anyone can’t believe in God! That really baffles me! I must be a rare bird!

In the American black community, according to CoachB, it’s quite rare that a family has a father present. About 70% don’t he says. I don’t know what the percentage is for other families. That doesn’t sound good to me. My friend at breakfast recently told me that over 50% of all marriages end up in divorce in America. That doesn’t sound good to me either. And then we wonder why our culture and families are all messed up! It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out. A solid family is very important to everyone, my opinion. But who cares about my opinion?

Saturday question—Do you tell folks who you love that you love them?  If not, why not?  That is a great gift and for you Dutch folks, it doesn’t cost you anything! Or do you just give them a gift at Christmas and their birthday and for some of you guys, you don’t have a clue what that gift is that you gave your kids! How crazy is that. Be special (i.e. and for some folks rare) and tell your wife, your husband, friend, kids, etc. that you love them. And even more important, show them. For some of you, you might knock them off the chair if you did that. An old golf buddy was telling us that his wife was complaining that he doesn’t ever tell her that he loves her.  I don’t get it, he told us. I told her three years ago on our anniversary! Now that gets the first prize for sure!

A friend was telling me that their daughter has dated some guys who are narcissists, all about themselves.  Not good folks. She was really turned off with them.  I had a gal tell me once that her first husband was very egotistical, and he didn’t change which resulted in their divorce. Can you imagine two narcissists together in a relationship; I bet that is a battle with no one winning. I would guess it’s rare that a narcissist can get along with many unless it’s a real push over and even a push over gets tired of a narcissist. Now the opposite person of a narcissist is a loving, kind, gentle, sweet, humble, capable, confident person. SusieQ says--Now that kind of person rings my bells. MissPerfect said--My fourth ex-husband I knew had a bad temper and always thought he was right before we got married (i.e. a regular know it all); I should have known that he was not going to be a keeper!  I now have a lot of experience let me tell ya! I'm now trolling for #5. I got some new lures! SusieQ, that's one way to get out of the fix you were in!

This seems rare but…remember those probation officers/golfers I talked about last week?  We asked them what was the most successful method that they have in helping criminals.  They said—"By being respectful to them and treating them like fellow humans.  They have been told they are useless forever; a piece of shit by many for a long time.  They really respond usually by being treated with respect.” I learned a similar lesson when on the mission trip to FL. Our team members treated our clients with respect, dignity, and love. Many of these folks are probably called down and outers by society, riff-raff, bottom dwellers, low income folks, drag on society etc.  Almost without exception, after spending about an hour with them we developed a relationship that we showed them that we really cared for them and they responded when leaving with great happiness shown by thank yous, hugs, and tears. Sooooo what have I learned from these two examples—Try to show everyone respect and love; don’t think I am better than someone else. That is my opinion.  Maybe that is rare in our society today.  I don’t know! TheGuyDownTheStreet says—We all know what to do, it’s just if we will do it or not! Who what me!

Well, I must admit that I don’t pay much attention to some folks’ opinions but will to others. How come you ask?  Some folks are way out in left field or right field, my opinion. A friend told me while golfing the other day that we live under the new covenant of the New Testament and not under the old covenant of the Old Testament.  He used the example of how Jesus treaded the woman (i.e. a huge massive difference than of the Pharisees’ legalized method of treading woman like chattel property). Jesus treated them equally and with respect. Some opinions of some churches and denotations still live under the Old Testament covenant, that is my opinion. But I could be wrong, that is for sure. I try to be right at least 52% of the time. If a money manager is right 52% of the time, they will be very successful. Just 52% of the time! Ya gotta be right more than you are wrong; that’s for sure. AverageJoe says--I have a friend who is right 42.3% of the time, at best. I suggested he should do just the opposite of what he thinks. Life has not been easy for him. He's about as good at making decisions as a skunk with rabies!

It seems be rare to not to take things personal in our society. It appears that many folks do and it ruins relationships.  BUT it takes strong folks to not to take stuff personal; it’s really hard to be open minded isn’t it, as least for me it is.  And related to that, it appears that folks are a lot better if they can communicate with each other about differences. Most times we misunderstand the situation and react to our emotions which might be way out in right field or left field.  And that comes from our genetics, past environment or current environment which affects how we react. We are rather programed now aren’t we if we like it or not.  OneSmartPerson says--There are some really solid folks (i.e. I'm talking about many of you folks)! Such is life.  

WorldClassLarry, who is as smart as a hill county fox, says—You cannot lead from a stuck place.  Soooo if we are stuck and want to lead we need to get around others who are unstuck. They are the folks we want to be around. Of course, if we want to just talk about it and stay stuck, we don’t want to be around unstuck folks as they will drive us crazy as they want to move on and we don’t.  I think I know who I want to be around.  AvergeJoe says--Ya gotta be around good folks; that is pretty much who you will become. That is AverageJoe’s opinion.  That is why I like to be around you folks. All of you except for one of you and you know who you are! haha

Did you know that the lie detector does not reveal the truth but only what you believe. We all believe some stuff that just isn’t true. Mark Twain said—It’s not the lies that really mess us up but it’s the things we think are true that just ain’t so! It is said—Only the truth can really set us free.  Think about that folks. I think we all need to really think about what is the real truth and not just what we believe is the truth.  ItchieBitchie says—I don’t think any radical will change! No I don’t! Impossible!  They are radically crazy! Completely brainwashed! And my sister-in-law is one good example let me tell ya!

“If someone is able to show me that what I think or do is not right, I will happily change, for I seek the truth, by which no one was ever truly harmed. It is the person who continues in his self-deception and ignorance who is harmed.” ― Marcus Aurelius   Doesn’t everyone seek the truth, I mean the real truth?  Or are there folks who really don’t want to know the truth but just want what they think is the truth as it fits good in their life. I wonder if I do sometimes.  Yes I do. 

A friend told me a story about an old acquaintance who has now been deceased for many years.  He told him that he really liked to fish and would go fishing a week every year and did that for years. He would anticipate the trip for months, go fishing for a week and then remember the good memories of the trip for months. Pretty neat I thought. Soooo a friend sent me a text saying—"It’s shocking to see the age, but gratifying to see a good life ahead.” Both of those comments are full of wisdom I think; reality and appreciation and a positive thinking, maybe. Not all folks have this type of mentality I don’t think.  It might be rare a.k.a. a top notch person.

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

erv

MyFriendJean said--A pessimist is someone who complains about the noise when opportunity knocks.


No comments:

Post a Comment