June 1, 2024

broody

You get to decide! Andrew who shoots a space jumper very well, says—"The abuse of words did a great deal of harm in history and does in our current time. We are bombarded by words every living hour. But these words often don’t mean what they say. We live under a barrage of lies fired at us on the Internet, in the newspaper, on radio talk shows, and on television. Words are supposed to be simple servants that help us communicate. But today people have made the abuse of words a fine art, disguising what they mean, confusing their hearers, coaxing people along, impressing them. The government does it; so does the attorney, the student, the teacher, the salesperson, the reporter. And sometimes the preacher does it.” I don’t even know what Andrew said is true!  This “It’s Saturday” is just thoughts and you get to make out what you want to be true; it is entirely up to you. You decide! 

When folks are broody, they are depressed about something and just can’t stop thinking about it. When I think about broody, I think about broody hens a.k.a. called cluck hens that we had back on the farm a mile and a quarter south of Roseland, MN as a kid.  I would hatch ducklings as a entrepreneur business operation when I was maybe 13. I would get fertilized duck eggs and get cluck hens from our neighbors and have those old broody hens sit on them to hatch them (i.e. my Mom, Anna’s idea). It worked. They just sat on the eggs until hatched. I guess they felt good just clucking! Cluck cluck cluck! They seemed to love it!

But brooding can be good toooo. It can also mean that a person is extremely thoughtful, contemplative, meditative, musing, reflective, or ruminative which are all good. That sounds just the opposite of a broody hen. A word that has opposite meanings a.k.a. oxymoron. Sooooo how can we get it right anyway! Soooo I need to be careful when I call a gal an old broody hen! How can I win! She might take it wrong. I think it’s best I keep my mouth shut!

Other words describe broody as moody and gloomy!  Are any of you ever moody or gloomy. It can also be a particularly toxic kind of rumination, and it’s strongly associated with depression. Broody hens usually get over it in 21 days but no such schedule in humans as humans can be broody for different time periods and for different reasons I read. When folks are moody and gloomy they are quite often weary (i.e. it is said by some that weariness can be the number one problem for being moody and gloomy). I hear folks say many times, “I’m just so tired all the time. I can’t get it all done. I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired.” AverageJoe says--Maybe some folks just go on their nest and sit on their eggs and become broody! Saturday question--How come rosters don't get broody or do they but just act out their broodiness different?

Some folks who we do business with act like old broody hens (i.e. not cooperative, fluff their feathers, and just cluck). Not good at all and not fun to do business with. A suggestion I got from the MI-Wizard is when we do business with such folks or with any folks by phone, get an email or message confirmation of what they are going to do for us. When folks put it in writing they will usually do what they say but if they just say it by phone the chances are less that they will (i.e. it makes them more commented, responsible, and obligated if there is a hard commutation. He told me since COVID we do less business in person; when we do business in person, folks are more committed with what they say (i.e. makes sense to me). If folks do business with folks that they don’t know or see, well, not as much!

We my act broody when we have to let go of our stuff! “letting go” or “surrender.”  That can be hard but very refreshing also, maybe. I try to make everything a game and not a struggle (i.e. try to enjoy every minute of my life). I read while eating my oatmeal with half a banana on it—Everything in life doesn’t have to be hard! Struggle is 100% optional. Maybe I can just let things happen rather than make things happen. JoeBlow says—That makes me salivate!

I heard an elderly couple say that the world is going soooo fast (e.g. technology) that they can’t function hardly anymore.  They are being passed by!  Now that could make a person broody! But flip the pancake, we gotta learn and move forward. We just can’t be a cluck hen! Change is our manner of life; it has always been that way! I would guess old folks have said that forever. It is amazing what we can do if we set our minds to it. Spur not a willing horse (i.e. a Latin proverb). Flip the pancake, an unwilling horse can be spurred on and on but if it’s not willing, it’s probably not going to go very well would be my guess. ItchieBitchie says—Yabut, my life is an off and on type of life.

Some seniors change. A senior friend who is a serious and longtime horsewoman recently decided to sell her horse, her horse trailer, her unit to pull it with and all associated equipment. I guess she decided it was time to hang it up.  Maybe her decision was helped by getting bucked off and having a concussion. That can get a senior’s attention now can’t it. I’m still having a hard time wondering if I should keep my Yamaha XL250 motorcycle or not! Such is my mind!

AlexandarThePreacher, not everyone can be an AlexanderThePreacher, always prayed and devoted the first two or three sentences of his prayers to gratitude and thanksgiving to God (i.e. now that might affect our attitude, could be, maybe, I don’t know). GeorgeTheCrook says--Maybe that giving thanks and showing gratitude is just words, all just bologna. Anyway, one Sunday morning when the weather was extremely bad, he began his prayer this way--“We thank you Lord, that it is not always like it is today.” 

I have been sorta kinda a broody hen once again.  I was broody years ago and my broodiness has showed up again. A person from Roseland and I were friends until we were about thirteen, I guess. He was a man and I was a little boy at that age; he was a star athlete and I was a skinny kid weighing maybe 100 pounds; all the girls liked him and no girl knew I even existed (i.e. you got the picture). He no longer had time for me. He became a big-time athlete in high school, at the university level, and at the pro football level. He never did have time for me after we were thirteen. He died recently and he got a big time write up in big time papers. He, my opinion, lived a  life of poor example but folks still glorified him because of his athletic ability. He missed a great opportunity for using his life, my opinion, as he had a platform that gave him the opportunity as many folks would listen to him. Why I am broody again is because I just don’t understand why our culture glorifies sport figures and such if a person who don't appear to live a good life. I think it’s all about the money and fame and glory. Could be, maybe, I don’t know. Maybe it’s like why folks buy Nike shoes! Sooooo I asked myself, would I want to have changed lives with him! No way, I would not!


Oxymorons make me scratch my head (i.e. they are very interesting to me). We hear all the time to have ambition; we need ambition to be successful. I sorta kinda agree with that. Then I read what David wrote, anybody can be a David—"A person fueled by ambition is hard to get close to. Because they are regularly jockeying for position or influence, they stiff-arm any who get close or in their way.”  A person is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn’t I guess! It’s sorta kinda what like LuckyEddie says--Good ethics that are written are meaningless until acted.

I like anticipation of something in the future; it’s very exciting to me; it takes the broodiness out of many folks (i.e. makes us not be cluck hens), that is my opinion. Dr. J says--“Psychologists tell us that anticipation is an emotion with marvelous healing powers. People who are snowbound sustain their spirits by anticipating the longer days of spring and summer. Couples who are separated by military deployment stay sane by anticipating their reunion. Students anticipate the end of the semester. Employees look forward to their vacations.” I have to admit that I like anticipation. I’m pretty excited. It appears to me that folks who have anticipation are happier! What do you think? That is what I thought. Saturday question—What is your greatest anticipation?

VelvetElvis says—People have struggled for ever in how to talk about God when God is bigger than our words, our brains, our worldviews, and our imaginations.

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

erv

MyFriendJean said--It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are different.

No comments:

Post a Comment