January 22, 2011

Refresh

At the top of my gmail account there is a word "refresh".  It, I think, it refreshes my inbox messages.  It makes it current, up to date, at the moment, renews, restores, replenishes, revives.  Now someone had to come up with that word when they put gmail together.  I wonder who it was and why that person or persons picked "refresh".  Maybe it's like picking the name of Secretariat for Secretariat!  If you watched the movie, well, then you know how Secretariat got his name Secretariat.  Why am I named Ervin.  I really don't know for sure but Chester and Anna had their reasons!  What more can I say.

It's refreshing to see something different all right!  Who in the world would want to do what this guy is doing?  A guy must have to be crazy or something to want to do that.  This guy was on the corner of Power and Broadway "waving" as they call it for some tax preperation company.  He was dressed up as the Statue of Liberty carring a sign that points to the Liberty Tax.  Now you don't see that in Aplington, Iowa folks.  Such is life.

Arlene and I went for a nice, long hike the other day.  It was a very refreshing hike 'cause of our conversation.  We discussed real stuff; stuff that we haven't really talked about before.  Stuff that is very important.  Stuff that affect our life in a very real way.  It was like pushing the refresh button.  Soooooo Randy and Pete said some stuff to me at ping pong the next day that refreshed the refresh (i.e. very much related to Arlene and my conversation).  They had no idea that the refresh button was pushed again.  Now only if I can stay refreshed and not become stagnant.  Time will tell. 

It's sooooooo refreshing to know that God is in charge of this world and my life.  It's confusing but refreshing folks.  I read this while eating my oatmeal with a half of banana on it -- Sometimes life does not make sense. God had promised David that he would be king of Israel; instead, he found himself hiding in a cave in the wilderness. “The arrogant are attacking me, O God; a band of ruthless men seeks my life –men without regard for you, he cried” (Psalm 86:14).

Some how, some way it will be refreshed.  AZ is struggling with it's budget (i.e. like most states and our nation).  Sooooooooo what's new.  It will be renovated 'cause it's to a point that it can't continue this way (i.e. I always say that it's got to get real bad before anything will change (i.e. face reality).  It says in the paper--Gov. Jan Brewer $8.9 billion plan closes a deficit that she projects at $1.15 billion for fiscal 2012 and does it withoutr raising general taxes.  But her plan hinges on the federal government's permission to drop 280,000 people from state health-care rolls (i.e. many being the mentally ill) and depends on additional borrowing and other gimmicks like cut university budget by $170 million and many other non-poplular cuts.  Of course the opinions are all different depending how it affects each person--some say it's very good and must be done--othrers say it would extend AZ's recession well beyond the rest of the country; it's a job killer.  Soooo what will be done?  We'll find out if it's bad enough yet.  MyDaddyChester alsways said--You can't spend more than you make; either you need to make more money or cut your spending.  That sounds sooooooo simple and refreshing but...!

Ken a.k.a. the big kahuna from Northern MN worked for the government.  He was in charge of setting the radar systems for the torpedoes.  Now that is impressive.  He knows about everything.  He's a Catholic and told me that last Sunday at St. Timothy's there was almost a full band and the Priest told a joke.  He said it was refreshing.  Huh, interesting.  Do you think change is more difficult for folks who have not traveled, had less education, and lived in one area for all their life?  What do you think?

Being refreshed can be different things to different folks at different times that is for sure.  Refreshing can be a good hot shower after working hard; a sit in the hot tub at sunset after a long hike, or a good meal with friends.  We had a unique dinner with friends recently.  We drove to Cave Creek and ate at Buffalo Chips.  It's a cowboy place.  After we got done, we went out back and watched live bull riding.  We sat behind a cowboy (i.e. he had on a cowboy hat and a rodeo jacket).  We were wondering how they judged bull riding.  He turned around and told us there are two judges who give maximum of 25 points to the bull and 25 points to the rider (i.e. a bull that spins gets more points).  Soooo, are you a bull rider--no, I'm a team roper--Cave Creek is the main place ropers come form all over to rope in the winter; I live just over the hill--sooooooo do you make your living roping--no no, I'm an architect during the week; very few rodeo guys make a living by just being in rodeos; there is a saying in rodeo business that to be successful in the rodeo business you have to have a woman who has a job in town--I bet there aren't many architect/ropers around--one!  It was a refreshing night.

Had the opportunity to play golf with a couple of new guys this week at Dobson Ranch Golf Course.  I really enjoyed their company.  I think I really impressed them as I wore my Ashworth wind breaker for the first two holes backwards (i.e. and it had a V-front) so it wasn't that hard to figure out)!  Oh boy--they just laughed when I told 'em; they didn't even notice.  Sooooo when I get up in the morning, my knees creak and crack (i.e. it's normal).  One of the guys had a squeak when he swung or put his tee in the ground.  It's from his artificial hip.  He is a good golfer but told me that he always does better on the back 9 'cause he drinks some beers to relax.  After his beers, he did do better on the back!  He also said that most folks play the first few holes pretty slow but after about 4 holes they realize that they aren't as good as they think (i.e. play their normal game).  Then they say the heck with it and just hit the ball and then they pick up their speed (i.e. that is just what happened to the folks ahead of us).  It was a very refreshing day.  Got home and sat in the hot tub.  Some of you ask how much do you have to pay to play golf in the Valley.  Dobson Ranch Golf Course is a municipal course (i.e. voted the best in the Valley).  It cost us $29 to play 18 walking (i.e. probably one of the cheaper ones).  Most of the courses are struggling financially (i.e. tooooooo many courses and many folks aren't willing to pay massive huge green fees).  I read in the paper (i.e. their add) sooooo it must be right that you can play the TPC Scottsdale Stadium Course before the pros come in a week and play in the Phoenix Open for $199 which regularly is $299 it says.  Sooooo even the big boys are cutting their fees.  Such is life.

We listened to ThePastor Sunday.  He was very refreshing.  He said we are really something; we think God loves us when he gives us what we want and when he doesn't, he doesn't love us.  He loves us; he loves us not.  Soooooo how can God give you all what you ask for.  Pay attention to what you pray for.  It's almost a joke sometimes.  Joesixpack says--It's so refreshing when someone lifts us up a.k.a rescues us or saves us!  My deceased neighbor George use to say to me--Satin's greatest tool is discouragement.  Saturday question--Are you a refresher a.k.a an encourager?  A friend told me that his brother worked in a factory.  Management would reward punctuality and attendance with time off (i.e. it really worked).  Before they would punish employees for tartness and lack of attendance (i.e. it didn't work).  So what does that tell you employers, parents, motivators, encouragers?!

LuckieEddie says--A good night's sleep is soooooooo refreshing. A TX friend says--If you have a clear conscience, you 'll sleep well.  This guy gets up at 5 or earlier every morning.  I don't know what time he goes to bed.  On Satuarday mornings, he washes the windows and washes the cars before 8.  I have a Canuck friend who gets up at 5 every morning too.  Sooooo what do you do at 5--I get the neighbor's paper (i.e. he sleeps in and then I return it to his drive after I read it), go and pick a orange off the other neighbor's tree, eat breakfast and then go to Home Depot and talk to the guys--oh, I see!  He says he goes to bed at 8 to 8:30 and takes a nap every afternoon!  I have never been a morning person and probably never will.  I have a friend who wants to be a morning person.  Some folks change because of necessity and some 'cause they want too.  Sooooo are you a morning person?  I use to be a night person but now I'm not either.  But I sleep well!  Must have a clear conscience!!!!

GeorgeTheCrook asks--Why do girls always have to go to the bathroom and freshen up and guys don't?  Then they say, he tried to get fresh with me!  We think the vegetables are better here in the Valley.  We wonder if they maybe are fresher (i.e. less distance from farm to market).  The citrus sure is fresher.  You just pick it off the tree in your backyard.  We hiked and had a picnic with Ron and Fay (i.e. cousins) yesterday.  They shared some of their citrus with us.  The citrus is exceptional but they are even better.  Oh yes!  This pic is only for those of you who have Dykema blood in ya (i.e. our Mom Anna's maiden name)!!!!

MissPerfect says--I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour.  I dripped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.  Oh those opportunities.  Here today gone tomorrow and many times never seen again.  If  you have never experienced something, then how do you know much about it.  Soooooooooo who is that crazy guy on the street corner anyway?  It was refreshing to be a waver!!!!  If you never did it, how can you judge?  Liberty Tax is close to the DQ so I walked in there eating my Dilly bar and asked the manager what my possibility would be to be a waver for them--so you want to be hired--sorta kinda but I really don't care if I get paid--your changes are good--sooooo when can I do it--how about next Tuesday at 1--good, I'll be there.  End of conversation.  So Tuesday at 1 I showed up and they dressed me up.  What a hoot.  It was refreshing.  The folks driving by were really quite nice.  About half waved and smiled.  Sarah who works at T Mobil was crossing the street to go to the bank.  When she returned she brought me a bottle of water.  Sarah was pretty and nice (i.e. that's a good combination folks).  I thought I was good but Donald replaced me (i.e. he does this every day as his job and gets paid $9 a hour he told me).  He had many more moves.  Dave the manager told me that this "waving" is the best form of advertising and also the the most cost efficient.  They chart their customers as to why they have Liberty Tax prepare their return.  The sign waver is #1. Such is life in the Valley!  

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

survinervin

MyFriendJean says--Pick you friends but not to pieces!

1 comment:

  1. Loved the Picture, Mr Liberty Tax :-)
    Dallas

    ReplyDelete