June 18, 2011

Every Tom, Dick & Harry!

Disclaimer--I had Joesixpack read this "It's Saturday" before publishing it and he said it's just a bunch of blah blah blah blab.  Soooooooo it's your decision if you want to continue.  But remember, Joesixpack isn't just any ol' Tom, Dick or Harry, he's very unique and very opinionated.  He might think I'm a fool.  And you know what, he might be right.  BUT flip the pancake, I might think he's a fool.  And you know what, I might be right. 

Now every Tom, Dick and Harry knows--We are going to have a new grand baby.  Yes we are.  Many of you have many but when it happens to you, well, it's just special.  Heather and James are having a little boy.  Heather wrote this on facebook--Heather Mellema Woodworth Trading in sugar and spice and everything nice for snakes and snails and puppy dog tails.  Later she added--Heather Mellema Woodworth Thanks everyone! For those of you who know Erin, this was a confusing post because SHE is so not sugar and spice. She is snakes and puppy dog tails! Kate and Kamran: I already know about dirt, mud, and ALL things Thomas. She thinks we should name the baby Gordon! James and Heather already told me that the little boy will not be named Ervin Jr.  BUT James did add--If you pay for 4 years of college, we might reconsider!!!!  See it's all about the money folks.

I have been around a couple of folks recently that made me think.  They are very smart folks with advance degrees BUT it seems they have very little common sense (e.g. have an advanced degree but can't manage their own finances).  SusieQ says--Any Tom, Dick and Harry has common sense!  Ya that is right.  You don't have to be a rocket scientist to have common sense.  If a person is smart, has common sense, has a good personality and has a good heart, now that person will accomplish much in life.  Personally, I would rather be around a person who is an over achiever than an under achiever.  Folks who think they are really smart (i.e. and maybe they are and maybe they aren't) usually aren't much fun to be around.  AverageJoe asks--Can you teach someone common sense or is it something you have or don't have?  My little brother from the Big Brothers Program (i.e. now age 16) has great common sense, is smart, but doesn't like education.  He has great street savvy compared to some folks with high degrees.  Alex is going in the right direction and I'm proud of him. Common sense can be a massive huge advantage.  But even if you have great common sense, you have to apply it so you don't get into trouble.  Decisions have consequences.  And guess who makes the decisions. I pray that Alex makes good decisions and doesn't get in trouble. 

If you take and Tom, Dick or Harry and give him money, fame and power, very few can handle it.  The ones that do appear to be deep rooted in values and faith.  Most folks really can't handle success.  They get a get a big head and bad stuff happens.  I'm sooooooo tired of James/Wade attitude.  I really glad they got beat.  Talk about be cocky!  We all need to be careful that we don't get the Jame/Wade attitude thinking we are better than others.  It's nutten but problems as I see it.  But what do I know!  I know when I start thinking I'm more important that I really am, I get my head shrunk real quick and often (i.e. humbled).  It makes me feel like a big ol' turkey!  Such is life. 

FriskyAlice says--Not every Tom, Dick or Harry is happy.  I was talking to a guy who has built expensive custom houses for folks.  The new owners are all excited about their new houses.  After they move in, he has noticed that some are some what disappointed.  Why?  Well, they think this new expensive house will make them happy and it doesn't.  They are disappointed.  CadillacJack says--Happiness is the one quality in life which can never be found by seeking.  Now compare that to joy will ya.  Author Karen Mains offers this insight: “Joy doesn’t fluctuate with the ups and downs of life. Joy rises above my circumstances. Joy is a state of inner gladness and well-being as well as its exuberant outward expressions.” She reminds us that joy cannot be manufactured; joy cannot be summoned; joy cannot be demanded.  Sooooooo folks, every Tom, Dick and Harry can be joyful. I read this while eating my oatmeal with half an apple on in while sitting in our sun porch--Some of you have know the meaning of emptiness and loneliness. You have drunk from many wells and sipped honey from many flowers and stumbled into many blind alleys in your search for fulfillment.  But your hearts remained empty and unsatisfied.  Then you faced up to God and His claim on you, and you discovered purpose and objective for your lives...Some of you have set out in joyous abandon to find your happiness in the streets and marketplaces of the world.  But you became lost and disillusioned and afraid.  The exciting landscape became a devouring monster that threatened to dehumanize and destroy you.  You cried out for help, and you found that God was there among the milling masses. He restored courage to your hearts and meaning to your lives.  You discovered purpose and validity and significance in the loving acceptance of your God (i.e. Psalm 107 from Psalms Now by Leslie F. Brandt).  And you know what, that good feeling is available to any Tom, Dick and Harry.  Such is life.

Do you every sacrifice? I mean, do you every sacrifice? JoeBlow says--I sacrifice often. I give my old junk to folks who need some stuff, I will help folks if I'm bored and need something to do, I'll help my kid sometimes if I have a spare moment, and I'll even help my wife if it's raining out and I can't play golf. JoeBlow, I don't know if that is sacrificing. I read in the Book this--I will not sacrifice to the Lord my God stuff that cost me nutten! For every good you wish to preserve, you will have to sacrifice your comfort and ease. JoeBlow says--Ouchy ouchy! That's not for me, I'm tooooooo self-centered to do that. I only think of my self; what does sacrifice get you anyway? Sooooooo, there are a lot of Tom, Dick and Harrys out there who do a lot of sacrificing in this world. Are you one of them or a self-centered yahoo! If you're a fool, you probably won't know you are a self-center yahoo I bet. As a late friend use to say to me a lot--So there you go!

GerogeTheCrook says--Are fools really that dumb or do they just act that way! Sooooo strike up the band, we have something to discuss. MissPerfect says--well, he's just some any ol' ordinary Tom, Dick and Harry and he really doesn't know much. In fact, I know more than he does. Fools are fools defined by other fools maybe. Do you think. Have you every been a fool? Have you ever been fooled? Maybe you are a fool right now. You think sooooooo. Maybe you are and you don't even know it. Could be. Are you sometimes naive 'cause you don't want to face reality. Maybe you are a fool 'cause you were trained to be a fool and you don't even know it. WildWilly sure seems to do foolish things (i.e. my opinion). I wonder if he knows it. Or maybe I just think he does foolish things and I'm the real fool. God only knows. DanFool asks--Do folks like to be fools? Why are fools fools? Does greed make fools fools?

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment