August 13, 2011

Iuseta

This is what I currently think but Iuseta think much different.  Isueta be like our little Charlie who we had the opportunity and privilege to take care off.  She would cry or just look at us and she would get her way with Grandpa and Grandma (i.e. she knew it).  When folks get older, they still cry and moan, and holler thinking they will still get what they want (i.e. sometimes it works with our government).  Such is life.  Joesixpack says--When you are young and aren't liberal, you have no heart.  When you get older and aren't conservative, you have no brain!  CadillacJack says--Iuseta think there was a Santa Claus; and I still do; it's the government.  Do you think there is a possibility that we will have another Depression like in the 30s?  MissPerfect says--The difference between a recession and a depression is in a recession someone else loses their job and a depression is when you lose your job.  Ouchy ouchy!   

ItchieBitchie says--Iuseta think I was just an accident but now I think I was created by God.  Ialsousta think that the lady at the well was a huge massive lady as Iuseta hear them read about the "some-area lady" but now I know it was the Samara lady!  Man-o-man, I'm glad I got that straight.

I was playing golf with the old guys the other day.  Donnie was ridding with me.  On hole six Donnie says--I wonder what's wrong with those cows?  They keep bellowing all the time.  I didn't say anything to him but it was a chain saw (i.e. some guys were trimming up some trees on the course).  The next hole he said it again in front of the whole group.  They corrected him.  Donnie then said--Iuseta hear better, Iuseta see better, Iuseta walk better, and Iusta hit the ball better.  Such is life! ItusetaIusetaIuseta!!!!

Iuseta think differently.  Oh ya!  But I'm sorta kinda thinking that when it's a question of money, everybody is of the same religion.  When we took care of Mable (i.e. Chet and Jessica's golden retriever), we would transport her in the back seat of our air conditioned car.  Itusetobe about 55 years ago when we transported our farm/hunting dog Blackie (i.e. our black lab), weusta open the trunk and Blackie would jump in and we would slam the trunk lid.  When our dogs got sick, they either lived or died--no vet folks.  If they died, we just got another.  A friend told me about some of their friends who have a place on the Mississippi River.  They have a pontoon and on the pontoon they have a air-conditioned kennel for Floofie!  Now this is hard to explain to probably 98% of the people in the world today.  I wonder what the starving folks in Africa think about this?  I'm not being critical as I sure have a good life and live "high off the hog" too.  I just plain wonder if I'm doing it right?  If America is doing it right?   I do know that my parents and grand parents didn't useta have it as good as I.  Joesispack says--Yabut erv, it's 2011 and it's not the 30s and 40s and 50s anymore; I don't want to live the way itusetabe!  I hope we are not making a huge massive mistake like an ad that read--Wedding dress $50 Worn once by mistake.  Such is life.

Growing up a mile and a fourth south of Roseland, MN (i.e. population at the time about 100) in a very humble farm house with a good family, we had very limited income so we did what we had to do.  I went to the outhouse until I was 13.  Ouchy ouchy!  My Mommy, Anna, could stretch a dollar with the best.  She worked sooooooo hard and never complained.  She was just a great woman.  Anyway us kids useta get hollered at a lot to turn the lights off if we left a room to save energy!  WildWilly says--How would you like it if someone turned you on and then left.  ANYWAY that's the way itusetabe!  Now you see whole houses lite up.  Very few folks conserve energy it seems.  We are really spoiled rotten.  I hope we never go back to the outhouse to conserve folks.  Do you know how cold it gets in MN?  We didn't useta think much of it but I don't want to do that again.  Oh no!

Itusetabe that we didn't have credit cards. Yabut the business world found a way to put a big screen tv in every house.  Wham, bam here we go.  China, a major holder of U.S. debt, berated the United States in an editorial in a state-run newspaper for our "its addiction to debts."  Oh yes, we seem to love our debt (i.e. we'll do most anything to keep up with the Jones).  My Daddy, Chester's philosophy was that we could borrow on anything that appreciated but had to pay cash for anything that depreciated.  Of course he was from the old school (i.e. post depression and went through tough times).  Well, we have pretty much lived by that philosophy.  AverageJoe says--I really don't think personal debt is a big deal as the government will come up with a plan to bail me out.  Yabut AverageJoe, the government has a debt that is unmanageable themselves.  At some point it just ain't going to work let me tell you.  The problem will be corrected.  Oh it will happen.  The question is not if but when and it won't be pretty let me tell ya?    Houston, we have a problem here!!!!!

She said--Iuseta not have sleeping problems but...!  I emailed a friend who wasn't with her husband in church last Sunday asking her where she was.  This is her response (i.e. printed with permission)--You are never going to believe this. I didn't go to sleep so I got up and played on the computer until 2AM. Then I went to bed, pretty soon the rain, etc started, so I got up again to close windows, etc. I was still awake so I got up at 5:30am, got the Sunday paper and started reading. When George got up, I told him I had not slept ALL night, have had sleepless nights before, but never all night that I can remember. Then I weighed myself on our farm scale in the basement, found I lost a pound or better just by not sleeping. (Only good thing to come from the whole escapade.) Anyway I went to bed finally and slept a few hours.  Are you sorry you asked??

Soooooooo how smart are you guys?  I know you are very smart but let's see.  I never did learn these words in Roseland Elementary and I was the in the top 6 in my class (i.e. I know that for a fact).  SusieQ is baldenfreude.  Others think her attitude is opprobrium.  She is just solipsistic so she really doesn't care; she is hubris.  Oh yes!  She's also profigacy; she's sui generis and has a profigate demeanor.  I was in 4th grade and there were only 6 in my class.  I'm the little toe head sitting in the second row to the left between Bob Burgress (i.e. who ended up playing pro football) and Mike Gort (i.e. they were both 5th graders).  If you need a little help with one or two of those words, here is your help  http://www.mountainwings.com/past/11220.htm

Iuseta not like rainy days when I was a kid but now when I'm retired, I like 'em.  Monday was just a day I liked.  It rained gently.  I went for a long walk on the golf course under my golf umbrella.  No wind and warm temperature (i.e. my kind of day).  I did a lot of good thinking (i.e. great atmosphere to do that--my opinion).  I have a very simple life.  Such is life. 

The rainy day, I finally went in the basement and found my old 22 caliber rifle.  This rifle useta hang above our kitchen door on two nails in our humble home on the farm a mile and a fourth south of Roseland.  If some of you visited our home back then you might remember it.  The stock was broken and either Dad or someone before him fixed it with a bolt and some washers to hold it together.  This is the rifle that my Daddy, Chester,  taught me to shoot with.  It was very light and Iuseta shoot very well with it.  When I was maybe 14, I went to the granary and sawed up a bid board and then whittled on it to make a crude stock and painted it orange.  Why orange, probably that was the paint we had in the garage at the time.  ANYWAY it has been in our basement for maybe 40 years and I was going to restore it when I retired.  I'm retired sooooooo this is my project (i.e. a project that brings back many many memories).  The bolt was broken off of it so I need a bolt.  Do any of you know how I can find one.  On the barrel it says it's a Trail Blazer. 

Happenstanse, na I don't think sooooo folks.  It's just more of the way it useta be.  I got this email from my sister along with her writing after I wrote the above.  Maybe you might enjoy. ~  Erv, I'm (i.e. my kid sister Doris) attaching a copy of a piece I wrote for the Roseland 125th anniversary. Myrt (i.e. my older sister) had heard about it through friends and asked if I would write something for our family.  --  This is what she wrote:  It’s hard to be brief when it comes to my memories of Roseland. The more I think about it, the more memories come flooding back. For me the farm, church and family are the first things to pop into my mind. I feel that all of our values, friends, entertainment, and life lessons were gained from these three sources. The church was the place where as children all three of us, Myrt, Erv and me, were educated in the beliefs of our faith, important truths to live by that have stuck. Who can forget Catechism on Saturday mornings marching in to the tune of Onward Christian Soldiers, meeting with fellow teenage girls and the fun at Willing Workers, or the softball diamond were so many hard found games were played! 4th of July festivities at church were highly anticipated by me. I usually planned days ahead how to spend my dollar. The farm is where I learned the lessons of hard work taught by my parents, Chester and Anna, two people who were truly the salt of the earth. The ebb and flow of the seasons and the tasks that accompanied each one still tickle my senses. The smell of fresh cut hay, the cuts on my arms from detasseling corn, the taste of sucking water up through a fresh straw stalk after combining the wheat, and the excitement of waking up and being told that there were new born calves or kittens. These are the simple things that still linger and have such a special spot in my memories. I often walked the mile and a fourth north into Roseland to the Dykema General Store. It was great that for most of my life it was run by my Uncle Johnnie and Aunt Sadie. I always wondered if when I put in my penny, would I get the striped gum ball out the gum ball machine and win the free candy or if Mom and I would be invited back to have a chat at the table in the back room. Roseland Elementary was where I spent the first six years of my school life. I tell people I had six people in my class in elementary and they find that hard to believe. I even remember riding Queen, our horse, to school one year on the last day to pick up my report card. How many kids can say they rode a horse to school? I remember the goodness of the people from church when times were difficult. Their willingness to help, in whatever way they could with cards, food, farm work and encouraging words, was always available without asking. Good Christian folks.
I’m sure my memories are different than Myrt and Erv’s and many others as well because of the differences in ages and years spent in Roseland, but lives are shaped by the times in which we live. Roseland was a beginning for all of us. A place from which we were able to move because of the lessons that we learned as children that helped form us into the individuals that we were to become. Visits back are seldom for me, but there is always someone who remembers Chester and Anna and their goodness. That always means the world to me. Respectfully submitted by:  Doris (Mellema) Kuipers  August 2011  Now that's the way itusetabe folks.  Such is life.

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--The secret of happiness is to enjoy both the past and the present, and have a faith that guarantees the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment