January 14, 2012

let's talk about you

I was returning from my quite often 12 minute soak in the hot tub.  I walked past a string of condos.  MN Don was on a patio of our neighbor having happy hour with some folks.  He said to me--Getting in a hot tub is much like marriage.  After you get in it, it's not as hot as it was at first!

ItchieBitchie says--Let's talk about you; you seem to worry about everything.  I know you do 'cause I can tell.  Soooooo can worry stem from childhood. When children experience parent/child reversal roles due to such things as illness, unemployment and addictions worry becomes an early life pattern.  Soooooo were you taught to be a worrier?  LuckieEddie says--People who worry often believe that their anxiety somehow helps them to avoid bad things. They believe it prevents problems, helps them prepare for the worst or gives them a way to control circumstances.  GeorgeTheCrook says--I worry 'cause I hate uncertainty but rather seek guaranteed outcomes.  Soooooooo MollyWorryWart, you are a pain in the butt to be around.  Worry just plain limits ourselves for many reasons and in many ways. 

Let's talk about you.  Folks that worry all the time are about as messy as folks who are always negative (i.e. and negative folks are constant complainers).  Sooooo SusieQ, why are you negative all the time.  Nutten ever seems right for you and you never seem happy (i.e. everything in your life seems to be a problem which makes your life just one big problem).  Ouchy ouchy! You are a pain in the butt to be around.  You never seem to have a good time.  You are always worrying about something instead of just enjoying life.  Do you know that?  You have a very limiting life.  A good hearted young man (i.e. a real guy) told me his favorite Bible verse.  It is underlined in my Bible with his hand written note beside it--Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.  WildWillie says--That's a lot harder to do than to say.

Let's talk about you!  Joesixpack says--Sooooooo I got some money in my pocket (i.e. I'm a FatCat).  What should I do?  Should I spend the money!...Or save it...don't spend a dime and put it in a "hurricane lock box"!  What should I do?  What's the right track to be on.  Should I spend some and save some?  Should I be a spendthrift and let my kids get it?  That is a decision you will have to make Joesixpack.  Most folks don't seem to have a plan (i.e. they just stumble along).  The church we have been attending is pushing Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University.  They want 80% of their folks to go through this program.  They say--We know that most of you are sound financially set (i.e. most of the maybe 1,5000 attenders are older folks) but if you can even do better, look how much more money you can give away.  This church is known as a giving church.  Soooooo I think it's interesting to have a plan.  Most folks don't have an grand scheme or grand plan (i.e. it just happens--good or bad).  But here's the deal--If you can manage your money, it makes your life soooooooo much more enjoyable, why not do it.  MissPerfect says--I don't want to know how much I spend on clothes!  Now that could be a problem (i.e. not facing reality).  I recently had a guy stop and talk to me.  He is moving to AZ from MN.  He said he really doesn't have enough money saved up and is really wondering how it is all going to work out.  Why he told me this I don't have a clue (i.e. maybe he wanted some advice--I don't know--Or maybe he needed to tell someone and he knows he will never see me again).  ANYWAY that's not a goooood spot to be in!  I was riding my bike the other day and saw a garage sale sign pointing in a rather affluent neighborhood.  This guy was maybe upper 50s.  He was selling his stuff he said as he lost his job of 37 years.  He has to sale his house as he can't afford it.  I wish I would have saved more but I didn't.  I never thought I would lose my job.  Ouchy ouchy!  Flipthepancake--An ol' buddy of mine came back from upnorth (i.e. he's a retired farmer).  I said--How much did your net worth go up this year (i.e. as he owns ground)--didn't got up; have all our ground in life estate; what do I need for any more money at my age!

It's good to ask questions.  You got that right!  My Daddy, Chester, said--erv, asking questions is best way to learn and it's inexpensive.  Soooooo ask questions.  A surgeon examined a new patient most carefully. After studying the x-rays, he turned to the man and said, "Could you pay for an operation if I told you it was necessary?" The patient thought for a moment, then said to the doctor:  "Would you find one necessary if I told you I couldn't pay for it?"

Lets talk about you! Okay here are a few thoughts, facts, and ideas about folks I have been around in the last little while on the golf courses:  Golfed in a foursome that 2 of the guys had suction cubs on their putters soooooo they didn't have to bend over to get the ball out of the hole.  --  Golfed with an authentic Ollie.  Yep that was his name and he said "ya" a lot toooo yet! -- Golfing with a guy the other day whose ball was a little off the green.  I said to him, cuddle her up close.  He said to me, I haven't cuddled for a long time! -- Golfed with a guy who smoked 3 huge massive cigars during the round.  I think his cigars cost more than his green fees! -- On the 14th tee box a guy told us that he bought his wife a new car for Christmas (i.e. just like on TV).  She didn't like and took it back; I give up! -- I asked another guy who is from MN if he fishes=Ya I do, I participate in Helping Seniors Fish=you must be a good person=I have my days and others aren't sooooo goood -- I golfed with a guy who had his ankle shattered in Korea.  He is in his 80s and plays a good game. He is a very nice guy with a great attitude (i.e. my kind of guy) -- Okay, I golf  on Wednesdays with three guys who are unique, (i.e. good unique) but they call me strange soooo we're even.  One guy is The CnuckFromThurnderBay who wears suspenders (i.e. I have never golfed with a guy who wore suspenders before).  I asked him how come he does that=cause I don't have a waist and if I don't wear suspenders my pants fall off (i.e. I hope he keeps wearing those suspenders).  GovernmentKenFromMN hasn't won our putting contest in over 20 times he says.  Half way around the round he puts his dollars over his ear under his cap.  When we win it, it is wet from sweat and stinks.  Now that is different but we really like him to play the putting game with us (i.e. Mr.Easy)!!!   He won this last week sooooo he's now 1 for 28 or so!  EngineerFromDubuque a.k.a TheMississippiRiverRat is the only guy who has a battery operated electiric motorize push cart here in the Valley of the Sun that I know about.  That's different.  Ok ok, I'm different too=I'm the only one who carries his clubs and has a belly putter.  We are all different I guess in some way.  Sooooo when we get done with our round Wednesday, these different guys get this stuff out of their bags and put it on me (i.e. official Canadian golf wardrobe)=they give me a hard time 'cause I don't like playing in the cold.  --  I was doing my nearly every day late afternoon 15 minutes of chipping and putting when this guy comes from the driving range carrying his clubs on one shoulder and a portable oxygen tank on the other and says--Aren't you erv mellema the biker, golfer and hiker=Ya I do some of that stuff; who are you=I hiked with you a couple of years ago=oh ya, I remember you, you were recovering from a stroke and was starting hiking again=ya that was a tough time for me; this summer was tough for me too; I developed 3 kinds of arthritis and developed Asama; it was touch and go for a while but I started feeling better late in the summer finally soooo we came to the Valley again; I have started walking and hope to do some easier hiking this winter; I do play golf twice a week now=you have such a great attitude=wasn't always that way; when I was 44 I weighed 210 (i.e. 35 pounds over my normal weight) and smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day; one morning I said that's enough; I went on a diet, quite smoking, started exercising and in 6 months ran my first marathon; it was brutal! -- Played golf with a pickle ball buddy.  He told me that he has a condo in Mesa and one in Canada of about same quality but the one in Canada cost 5 times as much.  --  The other two guys in our foursome were first year physics students working on their doctorate degrees from Ohio and Indiana at ASU.  The get paid a $14,000 stipend.  They are professors of on-line courses.  The one physicist told us that he has 350 first year physic students in engineering.  --  Played with a guy from Idaho.  Aren't there a lot of independent folks in Idaho=ya there are and I'm one of those mavericks; I'm a real red neck maverick; I don't like authority!

I read it in the paper sooooo it must be right.  Steve Nash says he has a lot of motivation left.  Asked what motivates him, he deadpanned, "Money."  I'm sorta kinda a Suns fan. I watch some of the games on TV, read the paper about them and we go to a few games.  It's fun.  I even going to buy a Suns cap I think (i.e. if I can get a cheap one).  I can't find one cheap as of yet!  I have limits folks.  I'm not loaded like some of you.  Also I have noticed that there are a lot of loaded folks (i.e. talking about some of you) who winter in the Valley but are very good money managers.  Maybe that's why they are here in Sun Valley for the winter.  Such is life.

Talking about you!  When we were riding back from the Suns game on the light-rail, I was standing next to a young man (i.e a college kid).  He started talking to me about the Suns.  He was a huge fan of the Magic and also Oakland Raiders.  Sooooo you don't like the Broncos very much--no I don't--are you a Tebow fan--I like what he believes in and how he gets things done but I can't root for him as Oakland fans are not fans of the Broncos--Soooo he says to me, you like Tebow--We are Christians sooooo we believe like he does--I think he does a lot of good stuff for a lot of folks and he seems to be a winner; he maybe goes a little over the top on the Jesus thing for me but I like and believe in what he stands for--It's good to be a good person and do what is right--Ya it is and I try!  He was telling me that half of the Denver coaching staff likes Tebow and half don't nor does John Elway.  But, he has made them a ton of money (i.e. #1 selling jersey in the NFL).  Sooooo what are they going to do him for next year.  Houston, we have a problem!  His station then came.  He shuck my hand and and said--Do good and existed.  That was a breath of fresh air.

Let's talk about you Jesus.  I'm gong to get on soap box here folks.  If you don't like what Tebow is about you probably won't like this but try me.  Jesus defiantly is not a wet wash rag, a mugrummper (i.e. sitting on the fence with his rump on one side and his mug on the other), not a politically correct guy like DuaneTheWorm, but He is my Rock.  He's forgiving, loving, gracious, understands me, is loyal, merciful, faithful; even though at times I don't understand Him.  He gives me confidence maybe just like Tebow does to his teammates 'cause of Jesus in his life (i.e. and that ain't no pious baloney folks).  Jesus has a certain presence about Him!  Some of you think believing in Jesus is for the weak and powerless.  Some of you think believing in Jesus is sorta kinda a lot like belly fat!  You are way wrong on that folks.  You think money is power and you have a lot of money.  Your are wrong folks.  Jesus doesn't have favorites and what he stands for is not determined by who pays him to think and act a certain way.  Oh no!  Try Him, you might be surprised how good He makes you feel.  Trying won't hurt ya.  Or are you afraid of making a commitment of some kind (i.e. might hurt your image--now that's being weak--are you another DuaneTheWorm).  Give Him a try.  ItchieBitchie says--oh, holy mackerel, that Jesus talk makes me nervous!

Talking about you.  I was sitting in the sun the other day when our neighbor a.k.a. the ol' Iowa-wegin came over to talk.  I said--How's it going?  He said--I'm trying; my wife says I'm really trying at times! 

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--Patience and diligence, like faith, remove mountains.







No comments:

Post a Comment