March 10, 2012

now we're cookin'

DuaneTheWrom says--I take advantage of everyone in equal degrees--I show no favoritism--And I'm good at it!  Do you want to get well?  Really, do you really want to get well?  Do you really want to get rid of resentment you have with DuaneTheWorm?  Or are you just blowing smoke.  If you want to get well, ya gotta, I repeat, ya gotta get rid of resentment.  Ya just can't talk about it but ya gotta do it folks.  Now we're cookin'!  Cadillac Jack says--Here is a time when amnesia is good (i.e. forget your resentment).  If you have resentment against DuaneTheWorm, who doesn't even know it or doesn't really care (i.e. the resentment doesn't bother him) ya gotta get over it.  Resentment only poisons your life (i.e. you drink the poison in hopes it will kill him but the reality is it only poisons yourself).  Soooo it's like what Harry heard his parents talking about at the breakfast table one morning. Dad says to mom, Harry can mow the lawn today if he feels like it. When his dad was leaving to work, he shouted back to his mom, Harry better feel like it!  Such is life.

Joesixpack says--I wonder if I get cookin' in the wrong way some times.  Have you ever thought about how much of our discontent and unhappiness comes from looking at other people and comparing ourselves to them? When Shakespeare in a sonnet “curses his fate,” it’s because he wishes to be “like one more rich in hope . . . desiring this man’s art, and that man’s scope.”  Looking at others as a point of comparison can only lead to disappointment. There will always be someone more well adjusted, have a better golf score, more intelligent, have snazzier stuff, more devout (i.e. to say nothing of richer and thinner!). John Calvin said he was aware of only two “luminous certainties”—himself and God. This certainly does not mean that we should be so self-absorbed that we ignore others and their needs. But it does mean we should trust God to know what’s best for us, and not resent what he chooses to give to others. When our focus remains on God and our chief desire is to please him, we can say with the psalmist, “Truly God is good” to his people, including me!  ItchieBitchie says--Our company treats all our clients the same.  Our mission statement is--We cheat everyone and we're good at it!  That's the company that DuaneTheWorm is CEO of. 

Monday I was playing golf and on 16th hole (i.e. a 180 yard par three) I hit a really bad shot (i.e. very ugly) to the right.  It bounced off some hard pan ground and bounced again to the right.  It eventually hit the concrete retaining wall between the golf course and the houses.  It ricocheted off the wall bouncing down the cart path and finally ended up about some 30 yards right of the green on some more real hard pan ground.  I took a 4 iron and rolled it onto the green to about 8 feet from the hole and made the putt for a par.  As I was leaving the green, Henry (i.e. a guy in our foursome) said to me--erv, A lot of people wouldn't of played it that way but it worked for you!!!!  Henry really made me laugh.  Thanks Henry.

Itchiebitchie says--Ya gotta be ready so when the fickle winds of opportunity finally blows your way, you got to be ready to act (i.e. take advantage of the opportunity) as it might not every come your way again.  O Lord; teach me your paths . . . for you I wait all the day long. How do we resolve the seeming paradox between being led, which implies movement, and waiting, which suggests standing still?  The truth is, we do it all the time. I can be hiking on a trail up'erinthosemoutains while “waiting” for the next signpost to see where the trail leads. The trick is to not be overconfident and turn before we’re given directions. A favorite Dutch proverb was Je moet niet de Heer vooruitlopen, which means “you must not run ahead of the Lord.”  What happens if the signpost doesn’t show up? Rest assured, it always does, when we look for it in faith and wait for it patiently. And God will lead us, as he has promised, because he always keeps his word.  Now we're cooking!

Now we're cookin'!  Two drunk men had a disagreement.  One of them said that it was daytime;
the other said it was nighttime.  As they argued a third person came along, he was also inebriated,
so they decided to ask him.  "Sir, is this daytime or nighttime?  "Sorry," He said, "I'm new here." 
Excess alcohol or any intoxicant, can make you do really stupid things.

GerogeTheCrook says--When a man refuses to obey God, he inevitably obeys the devil. I recently starting to take golf toooooo seriously and told my self--what in the world are you doing erv! Meaningless, meaningless, just chasing after the wind.  Enjoy the game and quite complaining all the time;  Enjoy the folks around you, enjoy the weather, enjoy the atmosphere and quite being sooooo serious.  Life was soooooo much more pleasant for me (i.e. and my golf game is better).  MissPerfect says--The sooner you decide to get your life headed in the right direction the more time you have to enjoy it.  Sooooooooo don't take yourself sooooooo serious; no one else takes you that serious and really no one really cares about your golf game.  You might think they do but they really don't.  Once you get relaxed, life starts to really cook!  "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. ~Thomas A. Edison~

DON'T QUIT!
============

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,

When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,

When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must, but do not quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,

And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out;

Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than,
It seems to a faint and faltering man,

Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor's cup,

And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out--
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,

And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far,

So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

~Edgar A. Guest~

Yabut I find each day toooooo short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the hikes I want to take, all the books I want to read and all the friends I want to see. Such is my life.

Ecclesiastes is my favorite book of the Bible.  I was rereading the introduction and here is part of what it says--The author takes measure of man, examining his capabilities.  He discovers that human wisdom, even that of a godly person, has limits.  It cannot find out the larger purposes of God or the ultimate meaning of man's existence...But faith teaches him that God has ordered all things according to his own purposes and that man's role is to accept these, including his own limitations, as God's appointments.  Man, there for , should be patient and enjoy life as God gives it.  He should know his own limitations and  not vex himself with unrealistic expectations.  He should be prudent in everything, living carefully before God and the king and, above all, fearing God and keeping his commandments...Life not centered on God is purposeless and meaningless.  I really think if we can do that, well, then we are cookin' folks!

Have you ever tried to figure something out but just can't?  I have and do (i.e. I did my first Sudoku this week).  Soooooo you give up and set your mind to some other task, that sort of clears the slate--or cleanses the palate, you might say--and lets your gray matter take a fresh start on the original problem and then bingo, you figure it out (i.e. now we're cookin').  It's rather hard sometimes to manage our lives (i.e. staying with our core values and our philosophy).  When we stick to our game plan and not vacillate, it seems to work better.  Yabut all those folks and things that want to tempt us to go their way.  The guy in the picture who was next to me on University during a red light obviously sticks to what he believes (i.e. his back seat is his garbage collection site as his back seat was full of garbage to the windows--Hungry Howie just made me laugh).  Hey, we all have different philosophies of life now don't we.  Such is life.

JoeBlow says from the Valley of Retirees--I have my cake and am living it toooo!  Retirement means I don't have homework!  Now we're cookin'!  But personally,  I still can't change and do things slowly (i.e. many retirees do things slow and it drives me crazy at times).  I'm working at it but I'm haven't been very good soooooo far.  Retirement means that we can do what we want when you want tooooo and don't have to do things we don't want to do.  A cousin-in-law says when he doesn't want to do something--I have a funeral that day!  A retired cousin says--I'm behind in my work and don't seem to be able to ever get caught up!  Retirement means you don't have to follow a schedule.  Retirement means you do what your interests are (i.e. naps included).  Retirement means that at the last minute you decide you don't want to do something, you just don't.  And finally--when it come to doin' nutten...some retirees are the best!  SusieQ says--Just sit back on your couch with your chips Jack, I'll take care of it.  Now we're cookin'! 

Holy macaroni, he's smart (i.e. a regular smartypants)!  Coming back from golf this week, I was telling my golf buddies that I was going on a moon-light hike that night (i.e. full moon).  One asked--Isn't it dark.  Na, the moon is out and your eyes adjust quite well.  The other guy said--that's why pirates wore a patch over one eye.  What, I thought it was 'cause they lost a eye in a fight.  No, they wore a patch over one eye when on deck and then when they went below deck they changed the patch to the other eye soooooo they could see in the dark--what have you been smoking buddy?  Soooooo I goggled it and it says--Sailors would also wear them over one eye above deck and then switch it over in order to be able to see in the dark below deck.  This guy is sooooooooo smart (i.e. he's just like room service).  ANYWAY I did the moon light hike.  It was a great opportunity and experience.  I didn't use my flashlight once but I did change my patch to the other eye once I got out there in'em'ermountains!!! Not everyone must of thought it was as exciting as me--didn't see one other person.  Such is life.

Sooooooo many of you have asked how my Hikin'BuddyRon a.k.a the helicopterspinningride guy is doing.  http://www.azfamily.com/video/featured-videos/Some-twists-and-turns-in-difficult-mountain-rescue-140478333.html  Well, with Ron's permission to reprint this, here is your answer--Hey Erv, Thought I’d give you a bit of an update based on my doctor visit today: Basically I’m good. As to why it happened, probably not being on Plavix since the first of the year was a major factor, perhaps that combined with the work load I was under climbing the mountain, possibly just a fluke thing where a piece of plaque in my artery for some reason became detached and found its way into a slight narrowing in the stent that had been placed in my right coronary artery in April of ’09. He said overall it never should have happened and shouldn’t happen again. My nitro wasn’t going to help the complete blockage  anyway.  ~  He did say that his patients who now ask him if they can go off Plavix one year post stenting are warned that he had one patient now (me) who did have a bad consequence. And it wasn’t too hard for him to convince me to stay on Plavix the rest of my life.  ~  I asked him, “If I had called you first and said is it okay with you that I climb a mountain like Camelback?” He said he likely wouldn’t have had any objection. He said it might have helped if I had loaded up way more on energy drinks, electrolyte-type things and stayed super hydrated. But he wasn’t sure that would have prevented it. Electrolytes are just a good idea when hiking.  ~  He wants me to do about a week of supervised cardiac rehab, do another echocardiogram and then we are free to head on down to Florida. But he doesn’t believe there has been much if any long term effect on my heart. Amazing, isn’t it?  ~  So Praise the Lord for He is Good and His Mercy Endures Forever. Blessed be the Name of the Lord!  ~  Thanks again for your support and encouragement.  ~  All the best, Ron

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans.  (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--Focusing on ourselves will never reveal our life's purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment