July 27, 2013

pride and ride

Blondie says--When we were on our way home from Holland, Mich. we passed a bus that said - Erv's Bus Service." I yelled at Buggsy to look. Their motto on the bottom of the bus was "We take pride in your ride.". I said that you could use that as one of your themes!!!!!!  I just thought that it was great, and they spelled your name right. Pride and ride could be fun words for you to work with. Anyway, I thought of you. I'm one of the people that do read your weekly missile.

I played with MyFriendGeno in his member guest golf tournament last weekend at Rolling Hills Golf Club just west of Westbrook, MN. It has been 33 years ago when we started this fun activity (i.e. I missed one year in 33 years--Jackie Lindaman's wedding).  A lot of fun (i.e. much pride in our ride).  The picture is with MyFriendGeno and Jr and Curt and their buddy Ahhshit!  Us four had many many good times through the years.  We were rolling dice for breakfast.  I said--I don't throw dice for breakfast on a Sunday morning with a couple of Baptist very often.  I asked Curt if he was still a Baptist--no, I went from Baptist to heathen!  After we played Saturday, Jr had to go home to get in the hot tub with Joyce and Brandy.  Jr isn't kinky, Joyce is his wife and brandy is just that, brandy!  Ahhshit use to be a tree just west of the 9th green.  One year we were leading the tournament and I hit that tree on the second 9 and went out of bounds--lost the tournament.  We did win the tournament 5 times but this year we were no longer in the championship flight (i.e. I think that means we are getting older). Such is life.

Do you take pride in your ride?  Do you take pride in improving the ride of others?  ItchieBitchie says--I have learned that my ride on this earth is much more fun and rewarding when I help others (i.e. think of others more instead of always thinking of my self).  You don't want to be around DuaneTheWorm toooo much.  CadillacJack just got a huge family inheritance.  He now has no interest in helping others (i.e. he now just thinks of himself).  Huh, interesting.  Why would a person change do you think?  And the universal answer is-------MONEY!  WiseOldJim says--Pride can cause us to lose a lot of things, like perspective and faith and compassion!  Ouchy ouchy!

Measuring up! 
There are times in my ride that I have a lot of pride (i.e. toooo prideful, full of pride--overthetop pride a.k.a. ugly pride). I really get humbled; have many times, many many times. All I can say folks is--God, please be merciful to me. Joesixpack say--One thing the worshiping of God costs us is our self-centeredness! You just can't be a be a phony like DuaneTheWorm and worship God. You just can't.

Judging folks' pride in their ride!  How does SusieQ treat a person she doesn't know? Observe how a person treats someone she barely knows. This is what I call a "taxi driver or server test." Does the person have the openness and yes, kindness, to have a real conversation with a waiter at a restaurant or the driver of a taxi? Does she ignore them or treat them rudely?  My Daddy, Chester, use to tell me--erv, the good folks are kind to less fortunate folks, older folks, and little kids (i.e. folks who can't repay their kindness--do it for just being nice and not for attention or to look important).  I think that is called your character--the pride in your ride! 

I had an interesting experience the other day.  I was visiting with a fellow church person.  She asked me about a certain person.  I told her that it has been very hard for me to get to know him.  She said, the same for me.  Sooooo others must think the same.  We aren't no super humans (i.e. at least I'm not).  Then in the afternoon, I was playing golf with my buddies and said something about another golf buddy that I though he was pretty hard on another golf buddy recently (i.e. gave him a hard time to a point that it wasn't fun for me).  Another golf buddy said about the critical guy--he's sorta kinda that way.  I thought that but he thinks the same.  Sooooo folks, maybe we seeee folks somewhat the same,  Maybe!  Just maybe.  Soooo maybe my Daddy, Chester, was right again when he said--If you are good, you don't need to tell anyone; they all know.  If  you are bad, well, put it this way, maybe everyone knows that toooooo.  You think soooooo?  Pride and the ride!!!

JoeBlow's good advice--Don't get SlipperSlimySlick in your grill.  He's nasty.  And he's hard to get ride of tooooo!  Soooo be careful folks.  SlippperSlimySlick has an awful lot (i.e. toooooo much) pride in his ride. 

Parents have pride in the ride of their children no matter what age their children are.  FriendSeniorJudy said to me--We senior parents think our children are the most important; our children don't thing we are the most important!  They have their own lives and own children!  And folks, that is hard for the children to understand and also hard for the senior adults to understand.  But both can be understood if we think about it a little. "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." ~Mark Twain~  MyFriendBill told us at breakfast recently when asked how many miles did he think he drove to see their grand kids in their activities last year--He said last year they figured they drove 8,000 miles   Wow!  That's a lot of pride in the ride.  Oh ya!

I like to have a pecan waffle at the Waffle Shop before or after riding bike on the Cedar Valley trials. I usually read the Des Moines paper and do sudoku while eating it. This place just fits me well. There is a waiter/cook/everything guy there who works 2 days a weeks plus his a full time job. His name is Ryan. I have observed him many times as to how he handles people. He does a real nice job. Sooooo I asked him the other day where he got his people skills--Mainly from my parents. They had very good manners. I have very good parents. Sooooo Ryan have you told them that?   Kinda maybe. Ryan, you need to send them a note telling them that. You just need toooo. I wonder if he did.  I saw Ryan and asked him if he contacted his parents--he did--what was their response--like ok, they didn't seem to get toooo excited--they were excited Ryan, they just didn't show it let me tell ya. 

A few moments after the daughter announced her engagement, her Father asked, "Does this fellow have any money?"  The daughter shook her head sadly.  "Oh Daddy! You men are all alike."  Sighing deeply, she replied, "That's exactly what he asked me about you."

I talked to SandTrapSally at the golf tournament (i.e. not her real name put was the name on the beverage cart).  She was a cute blond working the beverage cart (i.e. wanting big tips).  Geno told me that she scored over a 1,000 points in her high school basketball career.  Soooo are you going to play college ball--no, I'm going to concentrate on the academics. 

I was told this story about an Aplington-Parkersburg grad.  He was a football player and wants to play in college.  His father asked him--In the last 10 years how many football players of A-P that went on to play at college level played all four years?  He couldn't think of any (i.e. I'm sure there are some).  Dad was more concerned about his academic side.  One smart dad. 

Curt told me that his son is going to the U of M and to study to be a doctor.  He told me he has done well academically and has a heart for people.  He works in a nursing home with the elderly and really enjoys it.  I think he was very proud of his son.  Folks, there is more to life that athletics.  Much more.   BUT athletics seems to get most of the glory (i.e. a lot of peer group pressure on the kids and on the parents).  Maybe strong on the "seems tooooooo"!  We seem to forget about all the injuries (e.g. bad knees and etc).  Parents have a lot of pride in their ride!

It caused him to studder step!  Pride in his ride! I did a volunteer project with a couple of guys the other morning. I asked SteveWtihTheBrokenFoot (i.e. broke it hoeing the garden) when we got done with our project, what he was going to do the rest of the day? He said--I usually do two projects a day; and one is taking a nap!   Such is life.  MissPerfect says--And that's not hard to believe!  What's that MissPerfect?  That AverageJoe isn't very tough.  You can't get very tough when your main physical activity is sitting on the couch eating chips.  There is an outside chance that he might change (i.e. heavy on the outside chance).  It's getting to the time where the "count is full" and something is going to happen (i.e. either go forward and get on base or strike out--you can't stay the same anymore).  Tick tock tick tock--time is almost up folks. 
A gal at church told me this story:  Her nephew is quite tall.  Many folks say to him--Man, you are tall; how tall are you anyway (i.e. maybe a conversation starter)?  He always wonders why folks ask him that.  They don't say to a person who is quite heavy; Man, you are heavy; how much do you weigh anyway?  Maybe different pride in the ride!  You think soooooo?

"People don't follow your position or your technique. They follow you. If you're not the genuine article, can you really expect others to want to follow?" - Kouzes and Posner in "The Leadership Challenge"  Seeeeee, soooooo be the real deal; don't be a DuaneTheWorm who is a phony.  CrazyMarvin says--Do what all goooooood folks do--make others looooook better than they really are (i.e. now folks, that is not being self-centered).  Such is life.

NerveWrackin'!  Joesixpack says--It can be nervewrackin' to do the right thing instead of doing what is most popular.  It's a lot easier to smile and shake your head vertically (i.e. a lot better for business toooooo or is it in the long run).  I have said many times--Just shake your head upanddown and say, yes sweetheart and life is much better--Remember--A happy wife is a happy life.  ~  One morning on my everyotherday2.5milerun, I met another Aplingtonite walking.  He can't hear very well.  I said something to him which he didn't hear sooooo he just smiled and shock his head vertically.  That's always a safe and effective move   Seeeee!  Pride in your ride.

GeorgeTheCrook says--If we can control our pride, we will have a lot of sunny days here on this earth.  Yabut, dysfunctional and functional is changing constantly GeorgeTheCrook.  What use to be dysfunctional seems to be functional and what use to functual seems to be almost dysfunctional.  Almost!  It's goofy folks.  Goofy! The pride in the ride has and is changing (e.g. use to be a good thing to have no debt--nowadays it doesn't seem that way--I still like no debt--must be from the old school--huh, interesting).  My Daddy, Chester, taught me--Interest is something you receive, not pay out.  He taught me only to borrow money on things that appreciate, never on anything that depreciates(e.g. cars, boats etc).    TypicalAmericanFred says--erv, you are out of it (i.e. wacko); it's American to have a huge massive debt!  Ya gotta have a lot of stuff and if it takes debt to get all that stuff; we will find some credit some where; we gotta have more stuff!  Ya gotta have a lot of stuff; it's American!  DGA said on facebook--We don't need more to be thankful for, we just need to be more thankful.

DuaneTheWorm has a lot of pride in his ride.  WildWillie even questions what goesoninthe weasel's mind.  When we think our thoughts are the truth but don't know that they aren't, well, that could be a problem (i.e. False Evidence Appearing Real).  And you know what, that is hard to change.  They have thought that way for a long time.  Maybe it's impossible to change.  Ok, maybe round the corners a little--big on the word maybe.  Some folks in our neighborhood have this banner by their drive (i.e. must be Harley owners I suspect).  Harley owners have a lot of pride in their ride.  Hi ho Silver!...Away!

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--Friends are like snow flakes--none of them are the same.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment