January 11, 2014

intentional living

I would like to think that most of my life is "intentional living".  Some of it ain't folks (i.e. ...happens)!  I live my life 'cause I want to live it this way.  It's a choice for the most part.  "Intentional living" might sound weird to you.  I don't claim to know it all; in fact, the older I get, it seems the less I know.  Joesixpack says--Everyone has a bother-in-law or a sister-in-law who is a "knowitall".  You would just like to wrap them in bubble-wrap and send them to Siberia some times!

Am I congealing?  Am I stagnating?  I read this in the paper sooooo it must be right.  There are 2 kinds of folks.  1.  There are those who have congealed into their final selves.  2.  There are the fluid; they keep moving forward and making new trysts with life and the motion of it keeps them young (i.e. the folks who are really alive).  I think you can apply this to businesses, churches, civic organizations etc as well.  Saturday question--Is being a #1 or a #2 intentional living?  I read this in the Book while eating my oatmeal with a half a banana on it (i.e. in the footnote)--If a person's mind is closed and Scripture is rejected, no evidence--not even a resurrection-will change him.  Ouchy ouchy!

Ding ding ding!  Some times we have to have a "wake up call" that redirects our life (i.e. the alarm goes off and wakes us up).  Even then we can hit the snooze button, turn it off ignoring the alarm or get up and get going.  Like an OldGolfBuddyMel says--Ya got to have a good altitude!  I picked up a pizza at Poppa Murphy's.  I was third in line.  The young gal greeted everyone with a smile and a cheerful word.  I asked her if she was always happy.  She said--I try.  Is that intentional living?  I think sooooo folks!  Such is life.

98yearoldEd says--If I don't start doing some stuff that I always wanted to do soon, I might end up being a sad member of the "never will club".  Sooooo98yearoldEd, throw those chips away and get your butt off the couch!  You get to make the decisions and decisions have consequences!  Such is life.

I'm starting to learn that I do not have to hurry to get there.  The reason--I'm already there.  I'm playing for keeps!  It's time to listen to the right folks and the right noises!  There are some " lethargic gluttonous rats" out there.  That is what I'm learning by being on "the sunshine cruise"!  Hey, when you are a senior, you play for keeps folks.  This ain't no practice round!

SusieQ says--You can believe with all your heart folks but that won't chance reality.  Sooooo maybe we need to adjust our attitude and adapt (i.e. sorta kinda like the Canadian goose--those suckers are all over the place)!  And they leave their...all over the place toooo!

The following sorta kinda sums up my thinkin' about happiness folks!  So were do you start on a path to happiness in business and life in general?  Here are 10 commandments, inspired by "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin (Harper Collins, 2009), that might improve your outlook if you strive to follow them daily:  1. Take it easy.  2. Be yourself.  3. Handle your responsibilities.  4. Exercise understanding.  5. Face your fears.  6. Leave your worries behind.  7. Live honestly.  8. Behave positively.  9. Open your heart and mind.  10. Share your time, attention and talents with others.   This might really help all of us to better our "intentional living"!

I missed a 5 foot putt for par and said--darn it!  Mel (i.e. a 85 year old guy of our group) said--We don't want any damn swearing on his damn course; damn it!  LuckieEddie says--People say that religion is a crutch.  But there are times in all our lives where our circumstances cripple us and in those times, I'd much rather have God to lean on than any number of less savory alternatives.  

James said to me at Christmas--Some hills aren't worth dying on!  I think if we can decipher what hills are worth dying on and which ones aren't, we might be much happier folks.  What do you think?  Would that be wisdom do you think?

ItchieBitchie's suggestion for happiness!  Make a conscientious objection to gossip!  MissPerfect a.k.a. a real wildfire, says--Yabut I like to gossip!  Well MissPerfect, buck up, rub some dirt on it, pull your socks up, shake it off.  Your life will be much better if you can adapt and and adjust.  MissPerfect, you have a lot of curb appeal but...when we step inside and you ain't sooooo pretty; ouchy ouchy!  And folks remember, life ain't fair.  The only thing that fair is the Butler County Fair and that is in late June of each year.  Such is life.

Boy, oh, boy!  If I had my druthers I would change some things in the world.  Yes I would but I can't sooooo I need to adapt, buck up, rub some dirt on it, pull my socks up, shake it off  CadillacJack says--Life can be tough, but I'm tougher!  Yabut some days I don't like Mother Nature.  She seems to be the ultimate mean girl sometimes.  She is just unfair it seems.  We sorta kinda feel like we stiff-armed Mother Nature by snowbirding in AZ!  She will probably get even!  Such is life.

Talk about changing things.  JoeTheHike is back here in The Valley of the Sun from MN for a while.  He was telling me that his golf game really improved this summer.  Soooo what did you do that it improved sooooo much?  I moved up to the lady's tees!  Now that is intentional living folks.  JoeTheHike, there are no more tees to move up toooo.  You are there.  Boy, oh, boy!


I enjoy reading Louis L'Amour books.  He is a very popular writer of fiction-historical fiction (i.e. westerns) of the W-SW.  He is very good writer (i.e. that's more than my opinion).  Maybe you have read some of his books.  ANYWAY I like them.  This is what Tel Seckett said in the book Treasure Mountain--(i.e. a woman was seducing him--not sexually seducing him but seducing him to get information).  There is nothing you could offer me that I'd swap for one afternoon ride through the hills, and I mean it.  Once a man has lived with mountains you can't offer him a home with a prairie dog.  Now that is intentional living.  You do what you want (i.e. satisfies your soul).  I like to hike/run up in 'em mountains (i.e. some of you think I'm crazy).  I really enjoy it.  This picture is one of the trails that I run a lot.  Those trails are trusted friends.  It soothes me during hard times, celebrates my victories, gives me a quiet place to think, inspires me and keeps me healthy.  It seem to change my perspective of the surrounding world.  LuckieEddie says--erv, tequila will do the same.  Yabut I just get such a good feeling by hiking/running  up there.  LuckieEddie says--Maybe the feeling is just from last night's sauerkraut!  GerogeTheCrook says--I like long hikes, especially when they are taken by folks who annoy me.  FatsoRay brother of SlimJim says--The only reason I would take up running up in 'em mountains is sooooo I could hear heavy breathing again! For me, running/hiking up 'er in 'em mountains sorta kinda makes me a better version of who I am (i.e. at least that is what I think)!



I think they work at it!  I have met some very nice folks playing pickle ball.  They are humble, gracious, kind, and just swell folks to be around.  They impress me.  I would guess 98% of the folks I come in contact with are very nice.  Some I'm just more compatible with 'cause of different reasons.  Here is a story of one of the 2%:  I went to the hot tub after a great day of pickle ball and up in 'em mountains.  There were was another couple there (i.e. maybe a gal and her boyfriend).  They were about 60. She was a real grump (i.e. Sergeant type--knowitall type).  They left but took my blue towel and left me with a green one.  I left the green towel there with a note.  A week went by and I was again in the hot tub and "my...don'tstink" was there again.  I asked her if by accident they took the wrong towel.  Ya we did.  I didn't know if you wanted your blue one back?  Da!  I think she was a "bad ass"!  Not a nice lady the way it seemed!  Maybe she had a cocklebur in the crotch of her swim suit that I didn't know about.  Could be.  A fellow pickle baller who I have been an acquaintance of for three years really seems to be different this year.  He's a lot friendlier, humble, kinder, funnier, more gracious and more enjoyable to be around.  I wonder what happened over the summer.  There is a noticeable difference in him.  Huh, interesting.  

NiceGuyChapin from MI took his blond girlfriend to her first football game (i.e. The Rose Bowl on New Years Day) to watch MI State play. They had great seats right behind MI State's bench.  After the game, he asked her how she liked it.  "Oh, I really liked it," she replied, "especially the tight pants and all the big muscles, but I just couldn't understand why they were killing each other over 25 cents."  Dumbfounded, Chapin asked, "What do you mean?"  "Well, they flipped a coin, one team got it and then for the rest of the game, all they kept screaming was 'Get the quarterback! Get the quarterback!' I'm like...Helloooooo? It's only 25 cents!"    

You guys up north have no butts and us snowbirds in the south have no heads!
Arlene and I went to the 11:55 (i.e. that's a.m. folks) movie showing of Last Veges.  I never went to a morning movie before (i.e. intentional living).  We laughed our heads off!

I learned from a friend this week!  It was a great opportunity (i.e. just fell in my lap--he called me).  One thing I learned is that friendships deteriorate if not cultivated.  He was the best of friends with another during high school (i.e. very close).  Then they sorta kinda separated it seems.  One of the biggest reasons was his friend did not return messages which gave him the feeling that he didn't want to be his friend anymore (i.e. became a one sided relationship).  Maybe that was in intentional or maybe that is his personality.  In any case it sorta kinda killed the relationship.  He asked me what I thought about that.  I suggested that he give him another opportunity by letting him get out of the corner of the "death of the relationship".  I used this true life story of mine as a kid--I was maybe 10 years old.  It was late fall and my dog Blackie and I were chasing this muskrat.  We got it cornered in the corner of the silo room and the barn.  I had this stick and was poking at it and Blackie was barking and jumping at it (i.e. just waiting for me to tell him to sic 'em).  We had him dead in the water but was just teasing it.  My Daddy, Chester, came out of the barn and saw what was happening. He said--Son, sometimes you have to let a person have a graceful way of exiting when you have the power over someone.  I pulled Blackie back and we let the muskrat escape for another day to live.  I have a saying on the wall above my desk back home which was said by a smart person.  It says--"Greatness is when you have the power to really hurt someone but decide not toooo"!  Now that is intentional living folks.  

Intentional living!  To paraphrase my Mom, Anna, --  Do what is right even when it's inconvenient!  Is it right to admit when we are wrong?  I think sooooo!  We gotta be real, don't we?  I know it ticks me off when folks always think they are right and won't admit when they are wrong.  If we can't admit we are ever wrong (i.e. we are missing something folks), it's like adding 2 + 2 and think it's 8, there is something wrong with us.  Usually when we can't add right, bad stuff seems to usually happen.  ItchieBitchie says--My sister-in-law, MissPerfect, is right, by golly!  At least she thinks she is.  Such is life.

Joesixpack says--If you don't have a sister-in-law or a brother-in-law who is a "knowitall", well then the "knowitall" might be you!  Ouchy ouchy!  

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--If the goal is set properly, its already half achieved.

I hope you read JearBear's story last week.  As you read, Claire and JearBear's plan is to climb Kilimanjaro Mt. with the LiveStrong Foundation.  He sent me this video of Chris Warner who will be their guide.  The video is about leadership.  I think very excellent.  The ending is really dramatic and full of wisdom.  I suggest you watch it.  It's about 30 minutes long.  
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=chris+warner+mountain+guide&qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=chris+warner+mountain+guide&sc=8-12&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&mid=0676915BB5D7B5FB85150676915BB5D7B5FB8515






No comments:

Post a Comment