February 7, 2015

insulted or flatered

Disclaimer:  If you think any of this "It's Saturday" is unpleasant or icky or repulsive or nasty, just skip it.  You don't have to read the part that insults you.  You can just read the part that flatters your ego. Well pitter patter, lets get at her! We're burning day light!


Have you ever had someone say something to you and you didn't know if they insulted you or flattered you?  Ya just can't tell the difference!  GeorgeTheCrook says--You ain't lying erv! You think it was an compliment but it might have been an insult.  Sometimes you really never do find out.  Humor can be that way--you don't know if folks are laughing at you or with you.  Sometimes you think you can't tell by their tone of voice (i.e. email and text you can't).  But  you still don't know for sure soooo you wonder.  Such is life.

I read in the paper sooooo it must be right--Most folks tend to remember negative comments about them more than positive comments--Many folks do not or cannot receive praise well.  Maybe that is why when deciding if we are being insulated or flattered, we tend to think it's an insult. Huh, interesting

Insult or flattery? A great story of cursing comes from the Jewish writer, Leo Rosten, as retold by Phillip Howard, the English political commentator. Cecil (né Sidney) B de Millstein was finishing his spectacular The Triumph of King David. On the desert near Beersheba. Three high towers had been erected, each crowned with cameras, cameramen, and sound equipment. These towers plus his own were de Millstein’s way of ensuring that the climactic scene, a battle using 3,000 extras, 400 camels, 2,000 spears, etc, would be filmed from every angle. “Action!” called de Millstein over the loudspeakers. And what action there was. Never had filmic battle raged so convincingly. When, after 15 uninterrupted minutes of mayhem, de Millstein cried “Cut!” the crews burst into cheers. Into his telephone to Tower 1, Cecil B de Millstein barked: “You got it all, Moshe?” An anguished voice replied: “Our power went off. We couldn’t shoot a single frame.” “May the Lord plant beets in your stomach. May the doctors name a disease after you!” shouted de Millstein. He flipped his intercom to Tower 2. “Chaim! You caught it all?” “Mr de Millstein, please don’t get mad. The cameraman forgot to reload. I ran out of film after three minutes.” “Idiot! Murderer! May your tapeworm develop constipation.” De Millstein snapped to Tower 3. “Sol? Sol?” “Mr de Millstein, never was there such a scene. You are a genius.” “Okay rush the film to the lab.” “The film?” echoed Sol. “I thought it was a rehearsal.” “Moron!” roared de Millstein. “May trolley cars invade your stomach. May the moyl circumcise your first son and throw away the wrong piece.” The great de Millstein slammed down the phone, and turned to his own cameraman. “Thank God, you’re here, Nate. I’m sure everything was OK with our setup.” “Absolutely!” shouted Nate. “Enough film in the camera?” “Plenty, boss!” “The sound okay?“ “The sound is perfect.” “Thank God.” To which there was the confident response: “We’re ready whenever you are, Mr de Millstein.”

For crying out loud!  A very nice lady said to me that I have zany humor!  I don't know if she insulted me or flattered me.  I took it as a compliment 'cause she is a nice lady.  MyFriendJim (i.e. anybody can be a Jim) said to me the other day--erv, I think pickleball has screwed your head up!  Was he insulting me or flattering me? He also told me that somethings are ununderstandable but folks believe them.  To some folks those same things that are ununderstandable are also unbelievable.  But he said there is a difference.  Was he insulting some folks and flattering some folks?

ForPete'Sake!  My friend a.k.a. CaptainCanada a.k.a. TheVancouverLegend  a.k.a. my pickleball mentor a.k.a. 4.5+PinkishBigPete wore this outfit playing picklbeball this week.  The other day he had a real wild getup on.  I kidded him saying--Did you just get out of bed or what!  I hope he thought I was complimenting him (i.e. having fun with him) and didn't think I was insulting him.  I think he knows me well enough to realize I was giving him a hard time.  But I don't know for sure. Pickleball players (i.e. my opinion) just like surfers have a certain dress and skate boarders have a certain dress etc.  I don't have the Peteish pickleball outfits like him--yet (i.e. remember, he's my mentor). I like how he thinks for himself.  He must be quite confident (i.e. you would have to be real confident to wear that outfit!!!!!).  ha ha  BigPete is confident. JoeBlow asks--erv, why do you use soooo much ink on something that matters sooooooo little?  Well, JoeBlow, it's 'cause it's sooooo much fun!  It just makes me laugh! And I like this guy! Such is life.

MyFriendSteve a.k.a. CaptainAmerica called me and said--Folks tell him he's livin' the dream (i.e. all black limos and red carpet).  He told me--erv, your living the dream.  Am I?  Was he insulting me of flattering me? I really don't know.  What do you think?  I took it as a compliment 'cause he's a nice guy. What is living the dream to one
person is not living the dream to another.  Actually folks, Arlene and I never had a dream of being snowbirds.  It was way beyond our expectation.  I would guess many of the snowbirds would tell you the same. It just fell into our lap.  Such is life.

Crash and burn.  Joesixpack says--I have been on the top and thought I was really something only to find out that folks were just flattering me (i.e. making me feel good but really didn't mean it). Joesixpack, you have been listening to tooooo much Game Day about yourself and got an over inflated opinion of yourself.  You aren't near as good as you think 'cause you listened to what they said (i.e. got the big head).  You listened waaaaay tooooo much to the applause: crowd noise. Now your head has be deflated and you feel like you're at the bottom (i.e. fell off the cliff).  The transition really didn't take that long (i.e. ask Pete Carroll). Soooo be careful who you listen to and and what they say.  Those folks can leave a very bad after taste in your mind. Soooo was this an insult or flattery?

Let's unpack your mind. OneSmartGuy told me that there is a difference between confidence and arrogance.  Bingo!  LuckieEddie says--If you are confident you say--sureandwill.  If your are not confident, you say--ifandmaybe.  If you are arrogant, you have no idea what you are saying!  I believe a person can be very confident yet very humble (i.e. they do not have bravado).  I really think that.  What do you think. I read in the paper the other day soo it must be right--If someone imitates you, it is a great compliment.  Huh, interesting. GeorgeTheCrook says--Negative thoughts develop demons and doubts!  Ouchy ouchy!

The folks in our Alzheimer's support group quizzed me a lot recently.  Like, really how are you doing erv,  Really, how are you doing emotionally?  I live a normal life in a new normal I told them!  They said--Being a caregiver is the most difficult thing they have ever done.  Do you agree?  Yes, it is very difficult for me but I'm doing it.  Do you share your emotions with anyone--no, not really.  They don't want to hear my sad story; they have their own sad story.  Do you share your emotions with your children?  No, not really.  They are smart kids and know me. You have always been in charge, haven't you?  You need to open up to them and tell them that you aren't very tough and you need some help.  I cried.  If you don't you will get physically sick and won't be able to take care of Arlene.  You have to be vulnerable. You need the support of your immediate family. I have it. They won't completely understand but you need to contact them and ask for help.  I cried some more.  Your emotions aren't going to get any better but worse unless you expose yourself.  You need help.  You need to show your feelings to them,  Ouchy ouchy!  Sooooo I talked to a couple of friends and our kids about this (i.e. am I different; am I missing something).  I think and they think I'm doing ok but do need to take the advice of the group and share my emotions with them sooooo they can help me.  Soooo we decided, I will try to be more vulnerable when my emotions get messed up.  Just a call, email, face time, skype or text from them is such an encouragement even when I'm ok. CadillicJack says--Encouragement lifts folks' spirits (i.e. boast folks' confidence).  

SusieQ says--You can look at things a 100 different ways. But remember, no one is 100% right. That is soooo true SusieQ, sooooo true. I think it makes a huge massive difference if you are confident or not (i.e. your frame of mind). OneSmartGuy told me that you can develop confidence by doing something repetitive (i.e. getting good at it).  But self-confidence is when have have an inner spirit about yourself that gives you strength.  Thank you very much!  AverageJoe says--Confidence is a beautiful thing.

Charles Barkley!  They were discussing Northwestern basketball on a  half time show.  They were saying that Northwestern is sooooo close, sooooo close.  They are almost there.  They loose by just a few points.  They are almost there.  Charles Barkley said--I have heard that about Northwestern basketball for 8 years--they are almost there (i.e. they need to light up the scoreboard).  Close doesn't count, you gotta get there.  MissPerfect says--Closeness a.k.a. being very close only counts in horse shoe and nickin'!  MissPerfect, how many years has it been since you have been nicklin'?  I bet you were pretty good at nickin' in your day.  You just look like you would be a good  nicker'! SuperSeniorBetty says--Being very close using the snowbird vernacular is varicose!

I don't think I insulted her but I hope I flattered her!  We were having a bagel at our little bagel shop.  We have seen this couple in there before wearing their same caps.  Sooooo I asked her how old her cap was?  Oh, maybe about 10 years old.  I admire your confidence by wearing it (i.e. she just smiled).  It must be special to you?  I just like it.  Sooooo how old are you anyway?--I won't tell  you--Her husband said--she's a year younger than me and I'm 90 sooooo that makes her 89!  I won't hold it against you that you are a Yankee fan--I'm not really, I just got a good deal on on the cap at at Good Will for 75 cents!  They left the shop and got on their bikes and rode off!  Very interesting folks. Very special folks (i.e. my opinion).  I really like folks with confidence.  I wish I could teach our grand kids that.  How do you do that?  When folks have confidence, others can try to get in their heads but--no dice!

My buddy asked me if I ever watched the movie, Jeremiah Johnson.  I said, I didn't know--couldn't remember.  He really likes that movie and had the DVD of it.  Soooo I watched it.  Yes, I did watch it before but many years ago and really didn't remember all of it.  My buddy said he watches it every year at least once (i.e. that's about 45 times).  To be a mountain man, you would have had to tough, really tough.  I don't know if it would be an insult to be considered a mountain man or a compliment.  What do you think?  You would surely have to have a certain mind set.  And have a lot of confidence.  Mountain men for sure were individualist.  As part of the song in the movie goes--The way that you wander is the way that you choose!  Such is life. Curious--how many of you have watched it?  Have any of you watched it 45 times?

Different strokes for different folks!  I don't have a fetish but I like the feeling of clean teeth.  ItchieBitchie says--erv, you are one "grade A whacko"! Hey, I think clean teeth makes me feel better.  I have always liked to have my teeth cleaned at the dentist.  I realize that probably most of you don't.  I might be insulting you or I might be flattering you--you decide.  Like I said earlier, if I hurt your feelings, skip this section.  1 out of 8 you are!  In life, whatever we don't like, we somehow do less of or avoid completely,  whether it's good or bad for us does not matter.  If we don't like it, we don't do it or at least we don't do it much.  Only 1 in 8 Americans floss daily.  Is this inspirational?  I don't know about that but what I do know is that a toothache, gum disease or missing teeth sure aren't inspirational.  I bought a water flosser (i.e. water pic with electric toothbrush).  The two cost me about the same as a pair of cheap running shoes.  I think it was a very good investment for me (i.e. maybe not for you--if sooooo buy some candy instead).  It took me a little time to adjust to using them, but I got it now.  I don't want to sound like your mother but--it saves your teeth (i.e. $$$), prevent gum diseases, and research shows there is a connection between gum disease and cardiovascular disease.  Besides, for me, it feels oh soooooo good.  I still floss the old way as well. But I don't care what you do.  I'm just telling you what I do. That's your decision.  You say--can'tdo,don'tdo,shoulddo,cando,willdo--a changed life burgeons! Such is life.

If you didn't like the flossing suggestion, you won't like this paragraph. Just skip to the next paragraph. Do I insult myself by not doing what I think is right?  Or do I flatter myself in saying I don't believe that stuff?  I read this while eating my oatmeal with a half a banana on it--Jesus said--I am with you always (i.e. the last words He spoke before ascending into heaven).  This is proclaimed to all who will listen.  Folks respond to that statement in various ways.  Skeptics and non believers might just blow it off.  Most Christians accept this teaching as truth (i.e. like flossing is good) but some ignore it in their daily living (i.e. but still don't floss).  Ouchy ouchy! Believers shouldn't be nibblers at the possible but grabbers of the the impossible.  Saturday question--Do very intelligent folks have a hard time believing in what they can't figure out themselves (i.e. over their head--it doesn't make sense--it can't be proven)?

Thoughtful invective I read in the paper soooooo it must be right--The truth is, this is an age of mindless profanity, not thoughtful invective. There are very few still around who take the time and trouble to craft literate, elegant insults – like Winston Churchill in the House of Commons calling Clement Attlee, the Labour Prime Minister, “a sheep in sheep’s clothing.”  Or the Australian Paul Keating sneering at a long-time political opponent: “This little flower, this delicate little beauty, this cream puff… this shiver looking for a spine to run up.”

A 55+ community pickleball club (i.e. a park that has been soooooo nice to me) decided at their recent club meeting that they will have two rules: 1. No bad language! 2. You can't pee in the garbage can!  Are those rules insulting folks or flattering folks?

Maybe just maybe we aren't smart enough to figure out if we are being insulted or flattered.  Could be folks. And hear this magnificent insult or flattery come down to us through the mists of time – it is the marvellous taunt delivered thousands of years ago by Thersites against King Agamemnon: “An honest fellow enough, and one that loves quails, but he has not so much brain as ear-wax!” Ouchy ouchy!  

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--A diplomat is one who can tell a man he is open minded when he means he has a hole in his head.



No comments:

Post a Comment