October 9, 2021

TBD (i.e. to be determined

TheWiseOl’OwlOtto asks—Does it pay over the long haul to be cautious or aggressive? I don’t know but maybe if you asked an expert 40 or 50 years ago, you would have gotten a vote for cautious. Now, though, you might get a split decision. A friend told me about an employment situation that he was in for years where there were several levels of authority and in those levels there was much politicking and many power struggles.  The folks in power would kill the future of folks that didn’t agree with them, were aggressively endangering their positions, or threating them in any way.  Tooooo not cause any possibility of getting on the wrong side of any folks who were in power or might get in power, most folks would not say a word, mum’s the word; that way they would never offend anyone; never show their hand (i.e. didn’t burn any bridges).   Flipthepancake, many leaders in business want other folks’ opinions (i.e. surround themselves with new, young talent soooo they are on the cutting edge of the future).  Much of the governmental power seems to be always watching their back sides to prevent from losing their office and power it seems (i.e. that has been that way for ever it seems). They seem to have many ways of doing that; most seem to be bad. How it all turns out, TBD.

As my mentor would say to me—erv, it’s never as bad as it looks or it’s never as good as it looks. Related to that statement, I know folks who seem to be a bit windy!  They seem to overreact.  Do any of you guys ever overreact (i.e. get things way out whack).  I had a friend tell me that her emotions, hormones, and thinking was way different when she was 20 than they are now!  Way different.  Another friend told me that when she was thinking about marrying a person, several friends and family asked her—are you sure this is going to work; you two don’t think alike. Divorce rates are about 50% soooooo it’s a toss up to start with.  Those darn emotions and hormone seem to screw up our thinking.  SusieQ said—But he said he would give me anything I wanted and change to whatever I  wanted me tooooo! And the result TBD.

I think it takes a big person to admit that they don’t know.  And in many cases, we don’t know the answer.  But to admit we don’t know is a sign, many think, of weakness so folks give an answer that they really don’t have a clue if it is right.  Maybe it’s a sign of strength to admit we don’t know.  I really don’t know much even if I think I do at times.  And I know acquaintances that always know the answer; they know everything; and some pretty much do (i.e. they are soooo darn smart). But even the very smartest don’t know all the answers.  I also have acquaintances and friends who say they don’t know the answer when I think they do; I feel that they just don’t want to give me the answer or are not 100% it's correct soooo they say they don’t know (i.e. it’s safer—or as our 9-year old great niece said—that is my guarded statement; she just made me laugh).  Now that could be, but I don’t know.  But everyone has an opinion; maybe it might be better to say—my opinion is…and it might not be right. But I’m leery of folks who always think they know all the answers.  I am.  I think they are a little windy! CautiousBrown says—Now that sounds like my sister-in-law. No one knows all the answers! C’mon! The correct answer TBD!

A friend sent me this story, everyone likes stories.  I think Jesus did a lot of his teaching in parables (i.e. an earthly story with a heavenly meaning).  Two brothers who lived on adjoining farms fell into conflict. It was the first serious rift in 40 years of farming side by side, sharing machinery, and trading labor and goods as needed without a hitch. Then the long collaboration fell apart. It began with a small misunderstanding, and it grew into a major difference. Finally it exploded into an exchange of bitter words followed by weeks of silence. One morning there was a knock on John's door. He opened it to find a man with a carpenter’s toolbox. "I'm looking for a few days’ work", he said. "Perhaps you would have a few small jobs here and there. Could I help you?"  "Yes", said the older brother. "I do have a job for you. Look across the creek at that farm. That's my neighbor, in fact, it's my younger brother. Last week there was a meadow between us and he took his bulldozer to the river levee and now there is a creek between us."   "Well, he may have done this to spite me, but I'll go him one better. See that pile of lumber curing by the barn? I want you to build me a fence -- an 8-foot fence -- so I won’t need to see his place anymore." The carpenter said, "I think I understand the situation. Show me the nails and the post-hole digger and I'll be able to do a job that pleases you." The older brother had to go to town for supplies, so he helped the carpenter get the materials ready and then he was off for the day. The carpenter worked hard all that day measuring, sawing, nailing. About sunset when the farmer returned, the carpenter had just finished his job. The farmer's eyes opened wide, his jaw dropped. There was no fence there at all. It was a bridge -- a bridge stretching from one side of the creek to the other! A fine piece of work -- handrails and all -- and the neighbor, his younger brother, was coming across, his hand outstretched.   "You are quite a fellow to build this bridge after all I've said and done."  The two brothers stood at each end of the bridge, and then they met in the middle, taking each other’s hand. ~ Old English Fable

A friend says to me–erv, I like that when you share personal stuff.  Well, this is rather personal.  Oh ya! Recently I connected some of my good friends who didn’t know each other.  It was sorta kinda a unique opportunity; some say it was daring and some might say it was scary.  I think neither.  We had lunch together. Yes, it cost me some time and some money but what is more important to me than relationships, especially with good friends and family (i.e. and time means nuttin to me and what’s spending a little money; it’s only money). My motive was that I wanted them to meet each other and share my relationships with them.  Does that make sense to you? It truly was fun, at least for me; I totally enjoyed this opportunity.  I think everyone did. All exposed their personalities I think; pretty real! The final result will be TBD!

Team Mellema raised money for the Alzheimer’s Association in hoping to find a cure of the terrible disease and we walked with many others in Des Moines recently.  Thanksamillion to you folks who gave to our team and also to others who raised money for this disease and other such diseases.  Anonymous gives a lot of money to many folks; this person is all over the place and a great giver! My personal side (i.e. everyone has a story)—I was emotional several times during the morning! I didn’t expect this! Many of you folks are such good folks with good hearts; my kind of folks.  ANYWAY, you give with your money, time, talent, encouragement, kindness etc.; you are very generous.  The results TBD!

An old saying is—Do what’s important in your life first (i.e. prioritize folks).  Sooooo what’s important in your life; what’s not soooo important in your life that you spend a lot of time doing? Really!  The first thing I do in the morning is do my devotions and mediation with, of course, my cup of coffee.  Then, I exercise.  It makes my day soooo much better.  I know many of you do the same. I just copy you folks with good habits; I always want to be like you; all except for one of you and you know who you are.  It seems if I put those things off, it is soooo much harder to get them done later in the day.  And they are important to me. The results TBD.

While eating my oatmeal with half a banana on it, I read that maybe the best motivator is jealousy/envy (i.e. it said it really works). A friend in a church small group many years ago said that a great motivator for him was the fear of failure.  See how important church small groups are!  Last Saturday morning I played with a friend in our pickleball club's social tournament.  It was a fun experience (i.e. I never did that before).  I found out how different folks socialize and also how competitive some folks are (i.e. I didn't know most of the folks there as we play different times during the week).  It is for fun but many really want to win and some not soooo much.  That attitude can change folks and many times that is why many folks don't want to play in these events.  SusieQ says--Real competitive folks aren't always sooooo much fun to be around.  But if you are a competitive person, you like to be around competitive folks.  But who wins a little club tournament in the likes of beating up on someone of less ability or experience or some old person with bad hips and knees really isn't that important for many.  But for some folks it is. In 5 hours, 5 days, or 5 years it probably won't make much difference.  But the socializing might be remembered (i.e. how we treated others). Maybe, what do you think.  Results TBD.

Recently I had to laugh at myself (i.e. I do that a lot)! Soooo I thought I would get a foursome together to play 9 holes.  I sent an text to three other buddies/fiends to play in the morning.  One was going with his wife on a day trip, one had Dr. appointment and one said yes.  Soooo I thought maybe I would invite a couple more mutual friends and we would have breakfast before the two of us played golf.  They accepted.  Sooooo the four of us met for breakfast when we poked each other, jabbed each other, settled most of the world problems and just had a great time.  When we got done, I told my guy who I was going to play golf with that I didn't feel like playing golf, let's just go home; I accomplished what I wanted in being around the fellowship of buddies/friends; golf was only the conduit for it. For some golfers the score is the big deal (i.e. what did you shoot; I beat you). My golf score isn't my life! But, I like to shoot a good score, oh ya!

Sooooo in church I asked a friend who farms if he has marketed his grain for 2021--we have about 70% marketed and 30% of 2021 marketed; we have a plan but if we don't write it down, it seem like we don't stick to the plan, the plan seems to change; we either can't remember it or our emotions mess with our heads! The final plan TBD.

A friend who sells health insurance amongst other stuff was telling me that he has folks come to him to change their Medicare.  They heard Joe Namath on TV brag about "advantage+" and called the number and they bought something that was different than the cat's meow as advertised on TV.  It didn't work out for them very well.  Soooo they say to my friend--we want something different than the "disadvantage plan" we have now.  Results TBD.

I told them that I wan jealous/envious!  After having breakfast with a friend the other morning, I stopped and talked to a couple of friends (i.e. retired brother and sister) who were having coffee.  They told me they do it every Tuesday morning. Wow!  I was envious and jealous.  Maybe you should try that!  Maybe! Results TBD.

Here is the reason why I’m writing about TBD. I heard that a friend got a sweet business deal.  I texted him about it and gave him a hard time telling him that he gets all the breaks (i.e. it does seem he does though haha).  ANYWAY, his response was, TBD (i.e. to be determined).  Now ain’t that the truth; he is soooo darn smart; maybe that is why it seems he gets all the breaks. Could be.  But many sweet deals are determined down the road, for sure. Some aren’t always as sweet as we first thought. Yikes, I hate that when that happens but am pretty happy when they really turn out to be sweet deals.  Such is life.

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

erv

MyFriendJean said—A short saying often contains much wisdom.

The tip of the day comes from the Buzza Motto that was in the guest bedroom of my brother-in-law and kid sister when I was in MI.  I think it is a good tip to wish for everyone, even folks you don’t like soooo much.  I wonder where that Buzza came from anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment