February 19, 2011

methinks

MissPerfect says--Today is the present, a present from God a.k.a. a gift.  Methinks that he was blessed (i.e. a gift from God--my opinion)!  That's what methinks.  I was walking to the first tee with a guy who I have played some golf with (i.e. I like this guy).  He's a MississippiRiverRat from Dubque, IA.  ANYWAY as we were discussing something, he told me that 6 years ago he and his wife had coughing colds.  His wife calls their doctor and the doctor gave her a prescription over the phone.  His wife suggested he do the same. Sooooooooo he called their doctor and he said, I think you should have a chest x-ray.  He did and found out he had lung cancer.  They removed about a fourth of his lung capacity and he is walking 18 or 9 with me.  Soooooo I asked him if it was tough--very tough; a roller coaster of emotions (i.e. some of you know what this is).  The surgery was through the back and he had 48 staples.  For 12 weeks every time he moved it really hurt.  Sooooooooooo why were you soooooo blessed to catch this early and not die--I guess it was my day to be in the barrel!  Their doctor, to this day, is not certain why he required the x-rays.  He could have gone either way.  Methinks he was blessed--he knows that and seems to really appreciate life.  Paul said--Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.  We rejoiced together.  Yes I rejoiced with the MississippeRiverRat just before I complained about my not picturebook perfect tee shot!!!!!!  Such is life.

Methinks that I'm not appreciative enough most of the time.  Saturday question--Are you appreciative most of the time.  Are you optimistic or negative most of the time?  I just finished reading the book Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.  Lois, Phil and Mac are in a life boat shot down in the Pacific during WW II.  Louis and Phil are optimistic (i.e. eventually start praying together) and Mac is negative. Guess who lives and who dies?  They survived 47 days in that raft only to be picked up by the Japanese and tortured.  Louis made a comment that he thought Mac was born negative.  Do you think that is true.  Hey, I was just blown away with the ending (i.e. incredibly positive but very surprising)!  Joexispack says--Negative folks don't even know they are negative and positive folks don't even know they are positive.  It's sorta kinda like this--A thought kept coming back to me several days after I read it as part of my devotions while eating my oatmeal with a half of a banana on it (i.e. I must think it's important to me if it keeps coming back to me).  A University of Kentucky psychologist says that much of our self-esteem comes from feeling better about ourselves than about others because of the group we belong too.  That thought kept sticking to me like dried oatmeal sticks to my breakfast bowl if I don't rinse it out.  Sooooo am I bias and prejudice?  Of course I am; everyone is even if you think you are not (i.e. that is what methings--my opinion).  Such is life.

Methinks there is a difference in women (i.e. my opinion).  I was hiking the other day and caught up with three gals maybe in there middle 50s.  I said--how's it going to the last one who was taking a layer of her clothing off and just dropped her hikin' map--she said, I'm doing fine as soon as I get my shit together; sometimes that's challenging.  She made me laugh, I just don't hear that from the gals I'm around (i.e. maybe I'm around babes that don't say that--at least in public).  Soooooooo I hiked some more and got maybe a mile out and come across this babe who had a fancy black dress pants on, a designer white winter coat, a black fuzzy long scarf and carrying this big black purse.  It looked like she was going to a Christmas party in Iowa.  She was all by herself.  Methinks there was something wrong with her--Medidn'task!  Methinkis it was better to head on up the mt. Hey, you think I'm picking on women.  I'm not.  I hiked with three guys and a gal the other day.  The gal (i.e. a real Secretariat) was second to last in the line and I was last.  Suddenly the guy ahead of the gal fell back so there was a massive huge gap between him and the guy ahead of him--what's the deal--Ron's farting again!  When we were about 2/3 of way of our 9 mile hike (i.e. couple of the guys were tired) when Ron said--Bill and I think we should have died by now considering the way we live our lives during the week!  HikerguyfromtheTwinCities a.k.a the smile generator and I got talking--He has a heart for volunteering.  GeorgeTheCrook says--Helping others give meaning to life (i.e. making someone elses life better). Missperfect says--Let the GO begin!  Such is life.

Methinks this guy is on the right track.  Arlene and I hiked the Treasure Loop on the base of Flat Iron of the Superstitious Mountains in the Tonto National Forest (i.e. it's a moderate difficult hike).  It's a nice hike which takes us about an hour and a half.  ANYWAY as were were approaching the back of the loop when we saw a steward (i.e. a person who volunteers to work on the trails) carrying a 12 by 12 timber maybe 5 feet long up the trail on his shoulder.  We caught up with him putting it in the trail as a diversion for the water erosion.  He was digging it in with a pick ax--sorta kinda hard ground to dig in--sure is, lots of rocks and just hard ground--you must be one tough guy to do this--I wasn't when I started a couple of years ago; I have lost 25 pounds doing this; I have it the best, a free work out and a great office--you are doing the right thing by volunteering and making other folks' lives better--I would like to think soooooooo!  Soooooooo folks, get off your "blessedassurance" and do some volunteering (i.e. bring some joy to the joyless).  We had gone around the loop and were starting down and met a couple of gals.  We stopped and talked.  Lil was 91 and was with her daughter.  Lil told us that her and her husband hiked this loop many many times during their 40 years wintering in the Valley (i.e.they were from IN).  She had real flowers in her pocket--I said--we usually don't see folks with flowers in their shirt pocket hiking.  It's real personal--Arlene asked her what it was--My husband died 5 years ago and asked that he have half his ashes scattered behind Green Mt (i.e. on the loop).  We are going up there to place these flowers there.  Is that touching or what folks.  Methings she is quite a gal. 

Did any of you ride your bike to the course with your clubs on your back when you were a kid?  Well, when you get to a certain age, ya sorta kinda revert back again.  Methinks guys revert back to their boyhood after a certain age.  Remember when you didn't hear your parents?  Now when us guys get older we can't hear again.  LuckieEddie says--Three retirees, Paul, Lowell and Erv, each with a hearing loss, were playing golf one fine February day down here in Sun Valley. One remarked to the other, Windy, isn't it? No, the second man replied, it's Thursday. And the third man chimed in, So am I. Let's have a beer. Methinks that is about' true down here in the Valley with us ol' geezers!  But then again some things just don't seem to change with age.  TheCunuckfromThunderbay told me this story about his neighbor Tom.  Tom is 86, can't see very well, is on oxygen most of the time, can't hardly walk but still plays golf (i.e. sorta kinda of--he unhooks his oxygen, hits and then walks a few feet back to his cart, and some times doesn't play all the shots).  ANYWAY TheCunuckfromThunderbay and Tom were playing and were coming from on hole and going to the next.  They had to cross the street and there was a middle aged lady standing there.  Tom says--That babe sure has a nice ...!  Such is life. 

Methinks it will change (i.e. money will force it--it always does folks)  Fountain of Sun Country Cub is in our 55+ community (i.e. it is owned by some members now).  It was probably built when the community was built maybe in late 70s I would guess.  It was an elite club back then costing $10,000 for a stock in order to join.  Well, a lot of those folks back then are now dead or can't play or can't pay the $$$$ needed to make this club function.  It was then sold to some members.  The stock is worthless and the club seems to be really struggling.  Things have changed and they haven't.  The club/course probably looks the same as it did when it was built and the younger folks don't want that elite feeling (i.e. my opinion).  It will have more financial problems and it will be sold probably for about 50 cents on the dollar and then that party will go broke and then it will be sold again for 50 cents on the dollar.  And then it will still be hard to make money.  This is all my opinion folks but I did read this in the paper so it must be right--Desert Mountain Country Cubs sold for for $73.5 million but thought it was worth $200 million.  Ouchy Ouchy!  Back to the Fountain of the Sun Country Club--I went into the club house last Sunday to buy some tokens for the driving range ball machine as they close later Sunday afternoon.  The gal told me I couldn't hit range balls since I had a tee shirt on--okay I said, can I wear blue jeans--ya, she said with a smile.  She knew what I meant.  I see members wearing blue jeans that look terrible (i.e. that makes me laugh).  Sooooooo on the pro shop's door there was a sign (i.e. probably from the 80s) that is suppose to say--No spikes allowed (i.e. no one wears hard spikes any more).  Some one scratched it a little and it says No spies allowed!  That makes me laugh as there seems to be trouble in the club (i.e. everyone has the answers but doesn't want to pay any money).  That all makes me laugh.  Okay we go to church at Trinity Baptist Church.  We have gone there several times and seem to like it.  The services are exciting, never the same, uptemple, Biblical, personal, constantly changing, encouraging, very Christ centered, and they use some of the old but much of the new.  I feel that many denominations and churches need to adapt and not be like the old country club.  That's my opinion.  Sooooooo after church we go to Paradise Bakery and Cafe for breakfast.  On the door it reads--Change is delicious, Not doing away with our old favorites but adding some new.  We hope you embrace the change and enjoy our fresh new kind of goodness.  Huh, interesting. I read this as part of my morning devotions while eating my oatmeal with a half of banana on it--Medical studies have shown that even though people who have had heart-bypass surgery are told that they must change their lifestyle or die, about 90 percent do not change.  Typically, 2 years after surgery the patients haven't altered their lifestyle.  It seems that most would rather die than change. And John the Baptist said--Repent, (i.e. change) for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Such is life.

Methink that it was tough for them.  We were invited to go to a Valentine night at the Scottsdale Bible Church with our neighbors last Saturday night.  It was a supper followed by a movie "What if".  ANYWAY I sat next to Kerry at the dinner.  We got talking some and he told me that he was an engineer but recently was laid off and was with out work for 21 months.  He was 51 and they have 4 children with the oldest being 19.  His wife went back to work and they got real close to selling their house.  They spent all their savings but did keep his 401K.  He does have another engineering job now BUT at 40% of his pay before.  Ouchy ouchy!  He said their life style will never be the same.  He wonders if he will ever be able to retire.  We talked how things can look soooooo bad and then change (i.e. like corn going to $7 a bushel).  I told him my mentor tells me that things are never as bad as they look and never as good as they look.  He asked me about the relationship I have with my mentor--what do you guys talk about, how old is he, how did you get to that relationship, etc.  We talked about how God is in charge and we just need to do what we can (i.e. have faith and believe).  Soooooo I talked to my mentor the next day and told him about this.  He was the one who told me that corn went to $7.  I said--I should have been a farmer--he said--I think you have had a pretty good life erv (i.e. life of Riley).  Such is life.  

Methings this might be a fun gift to someone or even for yourself.  See what youtink!  http://www.godfeet.com/  SusieQ says--Now that maybe would be a nice surprise for someone.  I read about it in the paper.  Quite an interesting story.  The folks are working out of their garage in Gilbert, AZ just down the road from Mesa.  Sooooooooooo what do youttink?

Getting back to volunteering.  I read this in the paper so it must be right--According to leadership and spiritual guru Deepak Chopra, individuals have more control over their happiness than they might believe...the easiest way to be instantly happy is helping someone else...Get outside yourself......Give them appreciation.  Methings more folks would be happy by throwing those chips away, getting their butts of the couch and helping someone (i.e. my opinion).  Methinks that volunteering can give you hiccup relief!  What do youtink?  CadillacJack says--Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.

Methinks she quite a gal.  Arlene and I were having our late afternoon sip of wine sitting in front of our condo.  Our neighbor across the street came out and was getting in her vehicle.  She was all dressed up and walked over to us (i.e. smelled good tooooo).  Her name was Fran and she was going out with her Monday night group on Tuesday night.  I gave her a hard time that it was nice to know who was responsible for the loud music and wild parties late at night across the street keeping us awake at night!  Fran, I guess was maybe 80 and her home is in SW IA.  We talked about IA weather and then she told us she was originally from MO but came to SW IA to teach.  One day she went to the local store to buy something and that night the owner called her and wanted to have coffee with her.  She said she didn't have time as she was correcting papers and besides she had to go to choir practice.  He said, I need to start to go back to singing in the choir, I'll meet your there.  3 weeks later they were engaged and 4 weeks later they were married.  I said to her--He must of been one good kisser!--that's another story, on our second date he asked me what I would do if I really wanted to do something but didn't quite know how to do it; I said I would make a plan and then act on it; he then hugged me and kissed me; I sorta kinda walked right into that one!  They were married for 40 years and he died.  She was a widow for 7 years saying she would never get married but then this guy came along and talked her into marriage again.  He has been dead for 2.5 years.  I asked her if she was gritty?  Gritty, what does that mean.  Like tough.  She said--you gotta be!  Okay Fran, when you come home late tonight, don't make soooooooo much noise and wake us up.  She just laughed.

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans.  (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--Some folks can not be worked with, they have to be worked around.
Atipfromkip--specializingingolfrelatedmentaldisorders--squench toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment