April 23, 2011

Sacrifice

Disclaimer--This "It's Saturday" could get exciting and challenging  so some of you might want to sit this one out!  Or it could be to you just some sugar with flavor!  It seems that all of us look at things differently many times depending on "howwehavebeenprogramedbyourpast"!

Who is that guy anyway?  He's a mess!  Speaking only for myself, I really can't grasp the total sacrifice of Jesus dieing on the cross for the forgiveness of my sins.  I realize I'm not very smart but that just boggles my mind (i.e. I have a pea sized human mind compared to Jeusus' heavenly mind).  I guess that is why I have to have faith.  13 of us did "The Twelve Seats At The Table" last Sunday for Palm Sunday.  I was James--One of the many lines I had to memorize was this:  I just don't understand why Jesus choose me, a poor ignorant fisherman to experience all these things.  And remember James was one of Jesus' three special confidants.  He didn't select the rich or famous or the learned but the poor and ignorant.  Huh, interesting.  But I tell you what, memorizing a page of lines was a challenge for me.  I had to memorize, not tell the story in my own words (i.e. that is a lot easier for me).  I told myself that I would do it.  I did it the best I could.  If Jesus sacrificed his life for me, I could sacrifice some of my time and stubbornness and do it (i.e. but it was not easy folks let me tell you).  I didn't want to regret it later that I didn't do it.  I didn't want to be haunted by the "what-if", if only," and "I should'f" later.  I wanted to give it my best shot (i.e. I prayed about it and for the other guys in the little play).  Now this is my attitude towards Easter--I have put some time into some real thought about Jesus dieing on the cross for the forgiveness of my sins.  I don't want some day to say:  "what-if", "if only", and "I should'f"!  Such is life in my pea sized brain folks.  It's not much but like I said, I'm not very smart.  I basically am just a poor ignorant retired insurance man and real estate broker. 

Last Saturday morning, we were invited to the appreciation day for the volunteers at Fansican Health Care as a reward for our sacrifice of time and effort (i.e. really I wonder if the volunteers don't get more out of it than the hospitals do).  Joesixpack says--Compassion can really change a person's life (i.e. change our fickle hearts).  They rented the Crossroad Theater and we could watch any movie that was showing.  They also gave each one of us and our guest a $7 voucher for concessions.  Did you know that a big tub of popcorn costs $7.  I couldn't believe it (i.e. that is inflation folks).  ANYWAY we settled for the kids' combo that was a little popcorn, a small drink and a PizyStix for $5.50.  I asked the gal who took my order what a PizyStick was--she said--sugar with some flavor!  We watched the movie Soul Surfer (i.e. an inspirational movie about the true story of the gal who was a surfer who lost her arm surfing).

It's really just one massive huge rodeo folks and you're the bull rider. How much will you sacrifice for security in your investments? I read this in the paper soooooooo it must be right--Three month T-bills are on sale. The government received $4.82 in bids for every $1 in debt offered for sale. Yield is 0.05%! Wow!  Folks must really think you guys are going to pay for the interest. They have a lot of faith in you--DON'T LET 'EM DOWN FOLKS!! Folks must feel secure that you will keep paying (i.e. are in good hands with you). I really don't like it that interest rates are that low now that we're retired and want a big fat return--I don't like it but I guess things happen that way! Joesixpack says--Ya can't get to be a fat cat with interest rates of 0.05%--Goin' to have to live off the kids when I retire. Listen Joesixpack, they ain't going to like your idea soooooo suck it up and get a second job, get the wife a job or something! Such is life.

MissPerfect says--Compassion can change a person--RightRightRight!  Care givers are like sacrifice flies in baseball (i.e. they provide a very valuable service but don't get much attention).  You caregivers are really something, I think.  You sacrifice much to make some one's life better.  Many times folks could not be able to live in their homes if it wasn't for a caregiver.  Some of you folks are unbelievable good folks.  My hat goes off to you and your sacrifice.  And you know what folks, the public, in many cases, have not a clue how much you sacrifice for another.  It's much like that sacrifice fly in baseball!  I think you are really something.  GerogeTheCrook says--Self-centered folks are not true caregivers 'casue they won't do it unless they can get some glory (i.e. puff themselves up).  Usually the glitzy and showy folks!  Ouchy ouchy!

I also learned this week that their is a difference between a caregiver and a enabler.  Enablers protect people a.k.a cover up for them like a parent pretends that their child isn't doing drugs, a spouse protects (i.e. makes excuses when their spouse can't control their spending), a enabler who keeps making excuses for a loved one who is an alcoholic, a enabler who covers for someone all the time 'cause a loved one can't function normally (i.e always pretending for them that there is nutten wrong) etc.  Enablers don't face reality 'cause they think they are helping the person who is not functioning normal (i.e. but everyone else seems to know it but the enabler doesn't want to see it I guess or they know it but it hurts soooooooo much to face reality).  I also learned this week that there is a massive huge difference between being an enabler and just being a kind person a.k.a compassionate person (i.e. and that's not a sacrifice folks)!  Such is life.

My Mom Anna cooked, baked, canned food, froze food, had a big garden, sewed for us and really just took care of us kids.  She worked very hard and I never heard her complain.  She was the nicest woman I have ever met.  She was also the spiritual leader of our home.  She taught me a lot.  The one thing she really emphasised was--erv, always do what is right.  I haven't and probably never will but I try.  She really sacrificed her life for her family and others around her (i.e. and I don't think she ever knew it).  She was not flashy or ever wanted attention but she was just a servant.  I wish soooooooo much that I could tell her that.  She died when I was 24 and she was 56 from cancer (i.e. she suffered through that miserable disease).  ANYWAY when she baked bread (i.e. I wish I could have some now) I was given the opportunity some times to kneed the dough mixing the yeast into the bread and then letting it sit and experience it rising.  I was always amazed how that worked (i.e. still am).  Yeast is good in this situation but I read what Jesus said while eating my oatmeal with a half of an apple on it, this--Be on your guard against the yeast a.k.a. leaven of the Pharisees which is hypocrisy (i.e. evil disposition of the Pharisees).  I sometimes wonder if I have some of that yeast a.k.a. leaven that the Pharisees had.  I wonder, come on erv, I have it!  Don't be so Pharisaical erv!  Joesixpack says--We all think we are better than we are!   Ouchy ouchy!

Don't think you are toooooooo good to do something.  I know some folks who think their...doesn't stink.  My Daddy, Chester, told me--erv, be around good folks who don't know they are great instead of being around folks who think they are great but really aren't (i.e. sugar with some flavor).  It's a lot more fun to be around those who are great and don't know it compared to the others.  That's what my Daddy told me.

Look deep, deep into nature,  and then you will understand everything better.~Albert Einstein~  Spring means cardinals (i.e. my favorite bird) singing or preaching or lecturing to me on my early morning walks and the emerging, blooming spring flowers.  They are signs of new life and new hope a.k.a. Easter.  Ya those are signs of the changing of the seasons here on earth.  Some other signs of changing of the seasons in our lives are: knees hurting, allergies acting up, changeofseasonheadaches, aching feet and sore muscles from working int the yard.  Mother Nature was mean to us this week with about 3 inches of snow (i.e. It's spring but it's no day at the beach folks let me tell you)!  Ouchy ouchy!  I never did understand why those birds came back sooooooo early.  It seems like it always snows on them.  Isn't there a saying that it has to snow on the Robins before it's spring or something like that (i.e. I think the ol'timers say--the Robins have to have their feet in snow three times on the north side of the tree before it's spring).  I guess it's the birds' sacrifice (i.e. a birds' life)!  Well, spring might be here if that's the case!  Maybe!  I wouldn't bet on it folks--it's Iowa!  It usually doesn't get nice until the middle of May.  Maybe we'll just take off for a couple of weeks--now that's a good idea! Such is life.

One of the new volunteers at the hospital orientation was a 24 year old gal who was a single mother of a 6 year old son.  She told me that she has been on her own since she was 18.  She was a hair dresser.  I said to her--how in the world can you do all these things with a 6 year old?  She said--I have a neighbor lady who is in her mid 70s who is an unbelievable support for me.  She takes care of my son a lot and I pay her very little per her request.  It seems like it puts meaning into her life.  My son just loves her.  Folks, maybe this gal has sacrificed her time and part of her life to make some one's life better (i.e. sorta kinda being a mentor to both of them).  You think so?  The other day a friend was passing by on business and stopped to play golf with me.  We were having a sandwich at noon and the students were playing during noon hour on the school ground  behind our house (i.e. our house butts against the school yard).  ANYWAY some kids (i.e. old enough to know better) were in our yard.  That was no problem but they were in our perennial flower garden running around.  The perennials were being damaged.  I hollered at them to get out of there.  I said to my friend, you would think any kid would know better than that.  He said--Maybe some kids don't have a clue 'cause their parents don't have a clue (i.e. it isn't their fault but there parents).  Sooooooooooo folks, how important is it for some kids to have a mentor anyway do you think?   I was talking to our neighbor Sandy the other day.  She takes care of her 2 grand kids each Tuesday.  I don't know if it's a sacrifice or not but she said she is tired at the end of the day.  It seems like it's a pleasure for her (i.e. she really enjoys the opportunity).  But she is a mentor if she realizes it or not.  Grandmas can influence their grand kids a lot.  Oh yes! 

Joesixpack says--There are a lot of folks who sacrifice for others and there are a lot of folks who almost do (i.e. there are a lot of almosts in some folks' lives).  I almost did it but didn't--almosts don't count folks--ya gotta do it!  Ya, life produces a lot of questions and answers, yes it does but almosts get you nowhere.  GerogeTheCrook says--Being a good guy is okay but being a great guy is really something.  Great folks don't have almosts, they get it done.  Those great folks seem to do things "smooth as silk" with perfect rhythm and timing.  Why is that do you think?  I wonder if there is some sacrifice to all that.  If you  are going to be a great friend, do you have to sacrifice at times?  If you are going to be a great parent, do you have to sacrifice some times?  If you are going to be a great spouse, do you have to sacrifice at times?  I think soooooo folks.  LuckieEddie says--Yabut my ego gets in the way sometimes.  Well suck it up cupcake and just do it!  Any one can be average!  Iron rusts from disuse; water loses its purity from stagnation...even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind. ~Leonardo da Vinci~

I talked to a guy visiting at the church we attend a couple of weeks ago.  He asked me about retirement and what I thought of it and AZ.  They too visit AZ too but have a young family and is not at the retirement age.  I told him it's soooooooo different not to wake up in the middle of the night thinking about business stuff.  He said he could relate to that (i.e. sacrifice sleep thinking about business).  He said he keeps a legal sized yellow pad next to his bed, wakes up and writes down his thoughts and ideas during the middle of the night.  He said his kids can't understand that; they think there is something wrong with him.  Hey, I can relate to that; I use to do that.  Talk about sleeping, the other morning I was having breakfast with a friend when Larry came over and we talked about the price of corn!  He went on to say that he still has dreams of farming even though he's retired.  He said his doctor says that when you dream you are sleeping very soundly.  He says he has sleep apnea and has a machine now--incredible how much better he sleeps.  I'm fortunate that I'm a good sleeper and you know what--I dream a lot.  Do you?  WildWillie says--When we're sleep deprived, our ability to handle stress decreases.  When we're well rested, it's much easier to handle life's ups and downs.  When we are tired and/or tired we don't operate very well (i.e. lose our focus and our cool).  Such is life.

SusieQ says--Life has many battles. But some of you are warriors. I have had three friends tell me that they have sacrificed by eating less food and exercising more this winter.  They have lost 65 pounds, 30 pounds and 20 pounds (i.e. my hat goes off to you folks--I'm proud of you). They all told me that they feel--oh, sooooooo much better.  Huh, interesting.  LuckieEddie says--Winning goes into every win!  Ya, that winning is sorta kinda infectious now isn't it.  Yabut you have to have discipline.  My Daddy, Chester, told me--The best kind of discipline is self-discipline (i.e. sacrifice). And-U-KnowWhat--life is not fair (i.e. the only thing that's fair is the Butler County Fair and that's in June).  GeorgeTheCrook says--We need to press on and try to clear that old image from our minds and replace it with--I can do any thing, any where, any time! Some folks can only see negatives while others only can see possibilities!  CadillacJack says this about his brother-in-law ItchieBitchie--He has very poor self-discipline; he says--I can't do nutten !  At this point in his life with that attitude, he's who he is and that's not much!  TheCandianHonker says--Stretch yourslelf:  GetBackOutThere and met the Easter Bunny!  Sooooooooo what's the Easter Bunny in your life anyway.  Such is life.

I think what they are trying to say is if we all sacrifice a little and pick a little litter up, the world will be better.  What do you think?

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

ErvinJamesMellema not TheJames and not to be confused with LaBronJames

JeanMyFriend says--When faced with a challenge, look for a way, not a way out.
AtipfromKipspecializingingolfrelatedmentaldisordersfor50years--BkSwg--rotate heels slitely rt.--CHINUP!

No comments:

Post a Comment