December 3, 2011

HO-HO-HO!

HO-HO-HO!  And not Ho-HO-HUM!  Don't have such high expectations about this "It's Saturday".  It just like Christmas, if your expectations aren't soooooo high, then you  won't be disappointed.  Joesixpack says--Christmas Expectations are many times different than Christmas Realities.  It seems like everyone has expectations for Christmas. Some of these expectations are realistic, many are not. Kids and lots of adults are expecting – presents. Sometimes they are expecting something that is just never going to happen. One child put on her list that she wanted a chimpanzee. Not gonna' happen! One woman staying at a shelter was adopted by a church for Christmas. She put on her Christmas list: bath towels, wash cloths and a karaoke machine. Not gonna' happen! Many families are expecting family unity, reconciliation and behavioral change. May happen, but probably not. CadillacJack says--If you don’t get what you want for Christmas, you shouldn’t be all up set. It ain’t your birthday anyway!  SusieQ says--Being Santa "big responsibility"!

LuckieEddie says--A picture is worth a thousand words.  ItchieBitchie says--You really have to be careful with how you word your emails/Christmas cards as the readers don't not have the opportunity to see your facial expressions, body language, etc to know if you are joking around or not.  It's sorta kinda like when we were in CO last week.  Heather had on Easton the little outfit we gave him.  Heather says--I can smell Von Maur when I put it on him!  What!  You believe that?  SusieQ says--We believe what's convenient to believe and believe what fits our own thoughts! You think sooooooo? Personally, I think some gals can smell Von Maur. And you know what, Heather might be one of those gals! HO-HO-HO!  ByTheWay--I think I already got my Christmas present--How can that not just melt Grandpa erv's heart.  That's good enough for me.  The picture says it all.  No faking it there folks.  They really like to look at pictures that I take of them through the years.  That is what we are looking at.  Such is life.

I realize that what I write, many times might bore you (i.e. HO-HO-HUM!).  Some times what's important to me is not important to you.  Sometimes you misinterpret me, sometimes you don't really understand what I'm trying to express, sometimes you just plain disagree with me, sometimes you don't want to hear what I'm saying, sometimes you are in a bad mood, sometimes you don't want to face reality, sometimes you are tooooo busy with your own thoughts, sometimes you think I'm crazy and sometimes you have no idea what you think. I understand.  For the times you do read "It's Saturday", I appreciate you reading it and am always open to comments and suggestions a.k.a. Christmas presents to me. Such is life.

Sometimes we read toooooo much between the lines.  It happens folks. The average college graduate does not read one serious book a year (i.e. HO-HO-HUM!).  If you read one book a week you will be considered over the years one of the greatest thinkers of your generation. If you read one hour a day on any given subject you will be considered an expert on that subject in five years." ~Dr. David L. Baldwin from the course The Theology of Serving~

Dr. Rick Warren says--Keep your character by treating everybody like an angel. “Never…refuse to extend your hospitality…sometimes men have entertained angels unawares” (Hebrews 13:2). You never know who will end up being your boss. There is a saying that we should be careful who we step on as we climb up the corporate ladder – they might pass us on our way back down! Never fret when people that use others get ahead, because they usually end up losing their head. “I once knew a wicked man who was like a tyrant; he towered over everyone…but later I passed by, and he wasn’t there; I looked for him, but couldn’t find him.” HO-HO-HO!

Before we left for AZ, I had the opportunity to read test questions to four 6th graders for the Iowa Assessment Test (i.e. a few who have a hard time reading).  These tests are hard for them sooooooo many times they just guess at the answers (i.e. I remember doing that).  By doing this, it doesn't take very long to do the tests sometimes.  I have to sit with them for the rest of the test period.  Sooooooo one day I brought along our old connect four game and we played a double elimination tournament.  They liked it.  It was really fun to see how some were sooooo much more competitive that others.  It gave me a great opportunity to talk about being a gracious winner and not a sore looser (i.e. what's humility).  We played for the championship and for the cellar (i.e. one kid didn't know what the cellar was).  When playing for the championship, one of the guys said--this if for life or death!  I asked them if they could keep secrets--they said--ya somewhat.  Now that is a classic! Such is life.

Put me in, Coach... I'm ready to play.  I heard a sports figure respond to Joe Paterno's situation this way--In the culture of a 84 year old person, many things were done differently than they are in our culture today.  Think about that folks.  What was an acceptable way of handling something years ago, might not be acceptable today.  LuckieEddie says--There is not easy off ramp on this one folks.  I asked about how the troubled Country Club is going here at the Fountain of the Sun.  Our RE gal told use--It won't change until they go broke (i.e. the old culture of the old folks ain't going to work in our current culture).  I wonder if that applies to our churches and church denominations?  What do you think?

I was reminded a while back by a neighbor. She took a elderly gal from our community shopping. That was very nice of her especially as my neighbor said--she doesn't have one friend. Now that's a HO-HO-HO! What if you didn't have one friend? Uhhhhh! That would not be good. I just can't imagine that. Maybe this lady has caused her situation. And maybe because of her mental health this has occurred. Or maybe because of her husband's past has caused this. What ever the deal--What if you didn't have one friend. Ouchy ouchy! Maybe you and I need to show some attention to someone who doesn't have one friend. You think soooooo?!

It's beginning to look like Christmas every where you go!  I laugh at the TV ads from Kay and Jerad Jewelers.  They try to make a guy think that everything can be fixed by throwing some money at them for some jewelry for HO-HO-HO Christmas.  Kay Jewelry ad says--Every kiss begins with Kay!  I bet more kisses start with a Budweiser than by Kay.  I remember what one of my fishing buddies told me maybe 25 years ago while fishing in Canada.  He said--Before we were married my wife wanted to kiss all the time.  Then we got married and it's been down hill ever since.  I think my fishing buddy either needs to go to Kay's or Joe's Bar.  Probably a few Buds would be cheaper!  BigBertha says--I'm always a step ahead of Ol'Jake.  He can't confuse me likePeggyTheCreditCardGuy does to his customers?  I won't fall for the ol' few Buds trick!  Such is life.

GeorgeTheCrook says--Ya can't make a jackass a thoroughbred no matter how many times you tell me. He's still a jackass! DuaneTheWorm is full of all kinds of deceit and trickery (i.e. a lot of HO-HO-HUM!).  GeorgeTheCrook says--He makes me sweat bullets. Christmas season (i.e. consumerism) uses jealousy as it's best buying trick.  And you know what, it works in many cases. The commercial media is designed to make us feel unhappy and dissatisfied with our lives so that we buy whatever the advertisers are trying to sell. Just like folks fall for DuaneTheWorm's tricks and deceit soooooo do many consumers fall for the jealousy trick.  Both prey on the weak (i.e. they go duck hunin' where the ducks are).  Ya gotta find those suckers!  CadillacJack says--I want to remind you that one of the laws of nature is that the stupid usually remove themselves from the gene pool. A financial tip from JoeThe FinancialWizard for Christmas--I heard on the TV that one airline says--Bags fly free!  Soooooo if your mother-in-law is flying in for Christmas and she qualifies, make sure you tell her about it!  Ouchy ouchy! 

We are in Mesa via Bryce National Park and Zion National Park in Southern UT.  They were pretty but not as pretty as Arlene!  Oh no. From Grand Junction, CO to I-15 (i.e. middle of UT), there is nutten but pretty scenery.  That's maybe a couple of hundred miles.  There was a stretch of maybe 150 miles that there were only 2 exits and they said "Ranch Exit".  But the scenery was pretty--beautiful!  When we got on I-15 the speed limit was 80 soooooo I drove about 82.  Everyone else was passing my going about 90 or 90+.  Such is life.  I was reminded that erosion and time can really change the landscape--much like it does to our lives, our values, our morals, our churches, our believes, our families, and our country.  HO-HO-HUM!

When we were driving through the little towns out by the National Parks, I was reminded again about expectations.  Many of those little towns are in such scenic areas.  In those little towns are cute little businesses that are closed, being foreclosed on, boarded up, and just didn't make it.  The expectations were probably greater than actual reality.  It takes folks with money to make money.  There just weren't enough to make the expectation of the original cash flow of dreams.  This happens all over America--The business ideas sound oh soooooo good but they just don't generate enough cash.  HO-HO-HUM!  It says in the paper, so it must be right, that house prices have gone down another 1.2% for the quarter here in the Valley--If you bought a house 5 years ago, it would be worth 50% less or maybe even a lesser amount.  Our RE gal said that there is not as much demand for rental units this year.  Sooooooo...!

Saturday question--When is the last time you thought about what you think about?  Your thoughts can be HO-HO-HO or HO-HO-HUM!  AverageJoe says--What you think is what you'll be!  Such is life.

"Have we not groveled here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?" ~Walt Whitman~    MissPerfect says--The barbarians are at the gate!  It's time to close this week's "It's Saturday".  Oh ya!

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--Nothing is opened more by mistake than the mouth!












No comments:

Post a Comment