January 19, 2013

money money $$$

Disclaimer:  If  you are rich or will be rich 'cause of an inheritance or you married into money (i.e. married a true purebred) or if you have a big pension plus expecting a huge social security check or if your spouse is a massive huge money maker (i.e. a true hybrid cash cow)--you don't need to read this "It's Saturday".  For the rest of you, you might want to read this. I read in the paper soooo it must be right, that if you are 55 and have nutten saved, you would need to save about $6,000 a month with a return of 7% (i.e. no one gets 7% return sooooo). More realistically you need to save $8,000 per month to have a $1 million portfolio.  A $1 million portfolio will give you $50,000 for 20 years plus your SS and any pension.  Of course if you and your spouse both have pensions and SS that will make a difference.  Only $8,000 a month folks!!!!!  We know what we spend in our retirement.  Many folks have no idea what they spend or will spend.  But reality is--I read it in the paper, soooo it must be right, that the median income of a medicare recipients is $22,000.   Huh, interesting. 

MissPerfect says--Don't let it get out of control. That is in many things and everything (e.g. love of money, eating, drinking, etc). Money and power are both related to the "greeneyedmonster'. Moderation my friend, moderation!  Here's what to do if you're really, really determined not to use your credit cards.  But them in a tin can, add water and freeze.  Doing that might keep you from making those impulse buys.  To get to the cards, you'll need patience and hot water.  You can't microwave a tine can!  Discipline, oh that discipline.  Some folks just can manage their money better than other (i.e. it's always been that way and always will).  Joesixpack says--My budget is, I spend what ever I make and sometimes more!  Ouchy ouchy!  LuckieEddie says--My objective reality is obscured by my subjective illusions many times.  Ouchy ouchy!

It's only money!  Dick and Paul, a couple of pickle ball buddies, and I were talking the other day.  Dick said he hit a shot the other day that hit Paul in the head and knocked out his hearing aid.  It feel to the court and broke (i.e. $4,000 hearing aid).  Paul said--That was bad enough but I have a watch that controls all the functions of my hearing aid.  I went into the hot tub after playing pickle ball and forgot to take it off and ruined it toooooo!  Now that was an expensive morning.  Such is life.

GeorgeTheCrook says--Be wary of outward appearances. We tend to judge people according to our perceptions – what we see and hear. What we perceive, however, can be inaccurate. The novelist Joseph Heller who, at a lavish party on Shelter Island, N.Y., was ribbed by another guest, author Kurt Vonnegut, that their host had probably make more money in a day than all the money Mr. Heller had earned from his best-seller, "Catch-22." Mr. Heller's retort: "I've go something he can never have...enough."

There are money pictures and then there are non money pictures.  We usually keep our money pictures and show others our money pictures but others don't get to see our non-money pictures.  Pictures were on Chet's screen saver and this one came up of our family taken a couple of years ago.  It is our non-money picture (i.e. our family as it really is).  Where's James--oh, he's taking the picture.  I have a golf buddy a.k.a. DoyleTheClick who can make anyone look good with the new techniques of photography (i.e. besides, he's good).  I bet for enough $$$ he could alter our picture and make us all look good.  It just costs a few bucks and he can make you look like a million dollars.  He will remove your zits, fix your makeup, make you hair look good and make your smile better.  Why you ask?  He wants your business.  He doesn't want you to look like you normally do (i.e. it's hard on business).  MissPerfect, I suggest you bite on the $89.95 upgrade--it removes your jowls, removes your double chin, removes your facial hair, decreases the size of your ears, straightens your teeth out and also whitens them, flattens your nose and fixes your wild eye brows.  Also I know how vain you are soooooo I suggest toooo that you bite on the $19.95 super upgrade.  This super upgrade will remove the bags from under you eyes, slims your body, increases the size of your boobs and uplifts them.  Money$$ can do most anything folks (i.e. make a person not sooooo pretty look pretty).  Such is life.

Maybe this tells me something about money in our economy.  Maybe and maybe not.  The representative with the company we work with doing our rental of our condo will here in the Fountain of the Sun (i.e. about 1,300 houses of about an average value of $170,000, 865 condos with an average value of about $120,000 and maybe 200 double wide manufactured houses of an average value of $75,000) says that values have stayed about the same (i.e. have gone up some).  But, this company manages 36 rental properties and this is the first year that some are vacant--no tenants for them (i.e. 4).  Usually there is a long waiting list.  Huh, interesting.  Also she told me that there are quite a number of forclosers in the park.  Huh, interesting. It use to be when folks bought a property here, it was almost always cash.  Not any more.  Most are with a loan.  Huh, interesting.  But filipthepancake, I read in the paper that values of Valley houses have gone up 20% in the last year.  Also, we see more building than past years.  Huh, interesting!

ItchieBitche says--How bad do you want to change?  Do you want it bad enough?  Your change of path will only come when either you make up your mind that you are going on a new path because you are determined to change OR the pain becomes unbearable on the current path. The problem with the latter is that once the pain eases you often return to the old path.  Ya gotta be a super super strict self-disciplinarian to change.  Don't forget, you are what  your record says your are!  As ItchieBitchie says--Here you are, appearing as your witness!  SusieQ, you got my vote of no-confidence!  Ouchy ouchy!  I have seen your past record.  Flipthepancake--Now WeightLoserPickleBallKaren (i.e. lost 30 pounds over summer), you have my vote of confidence!  I have seen your past record (i.e. labeled).  But there are always those greatsurprisefolks who change their record.  Oh ya!  I applaud you who are in that group (e.g. non savers to savers).  Yes I do.  You can do it.

Jessica said that Charlie had to act a certain way 'cause she was a big girl now.  Charlie (i.e. our three year old grand daughter) said--I don't want to be a big girl anymore.  Do we really want to be responsible for your own money management?  Maybe some might want someone else to manage their financial destiny.  SusieQ says--I'll let the government do it for me; I don't want to be a big girl. I don't want to be responsible for my actions. 

My daddy, Chester, died when I was 17.  He taught me much about money when I didn't want to learn about money (i.e. didn't want to be a big boy).  I'm thankful that he made me learn about some business stuff.  I graduated from high school that year and was just starting college.  I know my junior year in high school our family lived on $4,200.  My Daddy shared a lot of his money stuff with me.  He also taught me not to make money your idol.  I remember when I was 15, he paid off the farm, bought 4-row equipment and told me that we have the world by the tail now; we are going do a lot of fishing.  Then he had his heart problems.  The rest is history folks.  My Mom, Anna had to work at a nursing home as she didn't have a lot of money and my kid sister was still at home.  We had no life insurance and no health insurance.  She sold the farm for $350 an acre.  15 years later, the new owner sold the rock piles off the farm for more than he paid for the farm (i.e. and I hauled many of those rocks).  My Mom was a trouper folks.  The best Mom I could ever ask for.  She died 5 years later of cancer.  Ouchy ouchy! 

BillyBigDollar says--The two groups were loggerheads.  Neither would budge.  Each thought the other was unreasonable. and believed their own position was entirely fair and justified.  Violence seemed a real possibility; indeed it was quite probable.  How often this scenario plays out, whether between party and party, labor and management, political advocacy group and state government, or nation and nation.  There seems little chance of peace.  ItchieBitchie says--Most wars are about money and power.  That's just the way it has always been and always will be.  Such is life.

DK says--LuckieEddie and his wife HotFlashTenna were in  bed watching Who Wants to be a Millionaire. LuckieEddie turned to HotFlashTenna and gave her "his wink".  'No' she answered.  LuckieEddie then said, 'Is that your final answer?'  She didn't even look at him this time, simply saying, "Yes..'  Sooooo LuckyEddie said, "Then I'd like to phone a friend."  And that's when the fight started!

It's all about the money folks.  Rory McLlroy is getting an estimated $20 million a year to do this ad with Tiger.  Now that's some serious cash folks!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NCDYjHtEcU&feature=youtu.be  I played golf with a couple of guys from Ankeny, IA the other day.  We talked about the Barrett-Jackson car auction as one of the guys is a car collector.  The conversation went to the guy from Ankeny who is a huge car collector and has a private 18 championship golf course right on I-35 in Ankeny.  I asked how he made his money--chemicals; ag chemicals in South America.  But the rescission has hurt him tooooooo is the talk on the street.  Street talk is that his net worth went down from $4,000,000,000 to $1,000,000,000.  That's street talk folks.  Now that seems to be a lot of cash folks (i.e. serious cash).  Especially when the average family income in U.S. is $50,054 according to goggle. 

I don't understand how folks can do it.  Really!  We were talking about the cost of Henry James' birth last weekend.  I goggled it and the average cost of virginal birth in the U.S. is $9,000 to $17,000 plus $2,000 to  $4,000 for the child.  Cesarean birth is from $16,000 to $25,000 plus the cost of the child.  This does not include any complications (i.e. complications can run up to a million bucks).  Sooooo if folks have insurance, folks will pay generally from $500 to $5,000.  And those who don't have insurance, I have no idea if they pay anything or how much.  We were talking and I learned that circumcision costs about $650.  Heather who is a roving RN clinic nurse with the Denver Children's Hospital says that she assists a doctor with circumcisions sometimes.  She said, this doctor won't do it unless he's paid $500 before the surgery.  Why, he obviously doesn't get paid by many folks probably!  Huh, interesting. 

Our conversation went to cost of day care, pre-school, kindergarten cost in CO and then to logistics of all this stuff.  Many many households are very innovative to make all this happen.  It just makes me tired to think about it.  And then to save some money for retirement!!!!  Soooo how do families that are larger in number dooooo it?  I have no idea.  They just do it or have someone else help them do it in some form or another I guess (i.e. maybe look to the government).  They also told me (i.e. I also read it in the paper sooooo it must be right) that health insurance cost will go up 15% to 25%.  How can they do it!!!  Something has to give doesn't it.  Especially if you make the average U.S. income.  How do families do it that make $12 a hour? 

MurkyMarvin says--If you don't win coach, we will cut you in pieces, boil you in oil, and pee on your grave!  You got it coach?!  We can't afford to have a loosing football program.  I heard on ESPN during the ACC/Big Ten Challenge that Kentucky's football program makes 2.5 times more money than the basketball program does.  Sooooo when the football program talks, folks listen.  In reality, the football program funds most of the athletic programs both male and female.  That's why they can pay a big salary to football coaches.  It's all about the money folks.  Such is life.

Janet Jackson once said--"There's nothing more depressing than having everything, and
still feeling sad."  The saying, "The ones with the most toys wins' is attributed to the late publisher Malcolm Forbes.  Joesixpack asks--Wins what?  LuckieEddie says--When you leave here, you'll leave what you have, and take what you are.  JoeDollarTheDragonOfJackAssFame says--I put all my money into my Visa account; I can spend it all over hell! 

I read it in the paper, so it must be right (i.e. the talkingheadssay), that higher income does not necessarily equate to the same percentage of being happier.  Actually a very low percentage relationship if you start with a sustaining income.  Under indulgence and spending money on others are massive huge factors in being happy with your money.  Such is life.  The pastor at Hope Lutheran in West Des Moines last Sunday said--If you put your money into your idols, at some point you are going to be very disappointed.  Saturday question--Who are you?  Where do you put your faith?  Who/what do you identify with?  Where is your foundation?  Who is the real you?  The pastor said--If you put you confidence in your money, it's a false confidence.  Don't let your money be your idol.   God's understanding I cannot fathom (i.e. God is God and I am human--there lies a massive huge difference folks)--God is God folks--That's just the way it is.  We went to the movie Flight last night (i.e. cheap date--$2 movie theater).  The movie ended this way--His son asked his father--Who are you?  The father answered--Now that is a good question.  Such is life.

ItchiBitchie says--I want to upgrade.  It seems that everyone in America want an upgrade.  It's capitalism at its best folks.  For only $9.95 more you can upgrade to this finer service, model, quality etc.  For only $9.95 folks!   Okay, go ahead if only $9.95!!!  Gottcha.  You can upgrade your Internet service, your meal at McDonald's, your car warranty, your car wash, your kitchen counter tops, your car model, your windows, your shoes, your makeup, your hairstyle, your golf balls, etc.  Almost everything is upgradeable!  And for only $9.95!!!  Such is life.

I went for a long hard run up'er'in'em'er mountains yesterday and relearned a very valuable lesson.  I said hi to 2 gals maybe in early 40s.  It went like this--Hi gals--how are you--great--yourself--marvelous--great day to be alive--I'm living my dream (i.e. the gal had on a cancer saviour tee shirt on).  I stopped and talked to another gal as she had a search and rescue tee shirt on.  She was 70 (i.e. great shape and had a great attitude).  What did those gals have in common?  A love of life.  Here is the lesson I relearned--Money can't buy what I just experienced--ya gotta get around positive folks.  That is what I have to do.  That is why I like being around a lot of you guys.  Depressing folks just drag a guy down.  I like to be around real folks (i.e. folks who have massive huge hearts and attitudes).  Of course maybe the 75 degrees and sun had something to do with all of this toooo.  I don't know!  Such is life.

AverageJoe says--Keep your legs moving--that keeps your mind going!  Besides, folks who exercise are much more positive (i.e. have stronger positive attitudes).  I saw a sign on Southern that said--The only think I gained in 2012 is weight!!  Soooo there you go!

A smart, good money manger sent this to me.  You might like to read his about money.  And maybe not.  I think it's good.  A certain perspective about money. 
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertglatter/2012/07/27/how-much-money-do-you-need-to-be-happy-2/

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans.  (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures.



No comments:

Post a Comment