January 12, 2013

old

Riley here-- We are in Waukee, IA (i.e. suburb of Des Moines) home of the new grand son, Henry James.  Our whole family is together to just have a good time.  That is what old folks get to do.  They have the opportunity to see the children and grand children. Such is life.

Disclaimer:  Take this "It's Saturday" with a grain of salt as I'm just another old codger, lost in his own weird world.

Ya gotta remember that AZ is one of the retirement meccas (i.e. that means that there are a lot of old folks compared to some of you).  Old folks are just that--old folks.  Old folks do stuff that old folks do.  They just do.  Such is life.  ANYWAY--A old wife texts her old husband on a cold winter’s morning in Iowa:  "Windowsfrozen."  Husband textsback:  "Pour some lukewarm water over it."  Wifetexts back 5 minutes later:  "Computer completely screwed up now."

Ya gotta remember that when men get old, many of them get grouchy (i.e. get off my grass grouchy).  Can they help it do you think?  A friend sent me a link about "grouchy men".  I don't know if he is saying something or not about me.  ANYWAY, the article said--Many guys get grouchy at 60 and above.  The biggest reason is that loss of testosterone.  That's it folks.  It causes old men to become cranky and grumpy and irritable.  There might be a lot of those type of guys around AZ maybe then as there a lot of old guys over 60.  Joesixpack says--Being grumpy is just my way of getting through it and laughing at myself.  Such is live in the Valley.  MissPerfect says--Where can I buy some of that testosterone for my husband, LuckieEddie?  He needs a boast; he's hard to live with; he's a regular sour puss!  WildWilie pointed to 2 old drunks across the bar from him and told his friend Bob, That'll be us in ten years."  Bob turned to WildWillie and said, "That's a mirror, you dumb shit!"

There is a reason why there are a lot of old but gritty folks around.  Here is the reason:  Year Male Female life  ~  1900 48.2 51.1  ~  1940 60.8 65.2  ~  1950 65.6 71.1  ~  1960 66.6 73.3  ~  1970 67.1 74.7  1980 70.0 77.4  ~  1990 71.8 78.8  ~  1996 73.0 79.0  ~  2007 75.4 80.4  ~  2012 78.5 avg male/female  ~  Arlene and I went our for breakfast after my golf one morning this week--I was walking past two senior old ladies--I over heard one of them say to the other--I felt terrible this morinng but then I took all my pills and now I fell better!!!  Such is life.

Winter can affect our attitude which can affect our lives.  It seems to be a lot easier to do stuff when it's sunny and warm compared to cloudy and cold.  Yes, older folks might have some limits physically but many make up for it with an attitude of "I Can" and "I Will".  I see a lot of that attitude with the snowbirds.  They are pretty gritty.  Many seem to have over come the "Fear of Failure".  Also in this environment, there is less competition and more an attitude of having fun and acceptance.  It appears that way to me.  Folks just accept each other as they are and help each other in many ways. MyFriendKen a.k.a. KenThePung a.k.a. TheDigger is a good example--He takes his neighbor golfing.  His neighbor is pretty blind.  He lines "theblindguy" up and lets him hit it.  Then he tells him how close he is to the green and stand on the green by the flag sooo he know what direction to hit it.  Tells him he has a 20 footer down hill with a right to left brake.  He does pretty good MyFriendKen says..  There is no "fear of failure" as it isn't present.  It's about having fun and enjoying others' company for the high percentage of the folks.

GeorgeTheCrook says--Not much really changes now does it. Seasons change, people come and go, and life goes on.  Many times it appears we don't seem to get it.  "Ignorant men don't know what good they hold in their hands until they've flung it away." ~Sophocles (495?-406? B.C.), Greek dramatist~  BingoSamTheGateKeeper at the park I play pickle ball at and I had this conversation this week.  How are you BingoSam--doing good on a nice morning like this--how old are you BingoSam--74--you look like you are doing well--ya, I don't know, each morning my wife sticks a pin in a doll to keep me workin' (i.e. it's all about the money folks)!!!

Us seniors here in AZ have come up with an brilliant idea, just brilliant!  We have changed our passwords to "incorrect".  Soooo when we type in our password wrong, it will say--your password is incorrect.  Brilliant idea wouldn't you say  Senior DK says--SeniorBigButtLena was standing nude, looking in the bedroom mirror.  She was not happy with what she saw and said to her old husband, BigBellyBen, "I feel horrible; I look old, fat and ugly.  I really need you to pay me a compliment."  I replied, "Your eyesight's darn near perfect."  And that is when the fight started!.

MyFriendGeno told me this true story of what happened at their Kiwanis club in Westbrook, MN.  A visiting/sharing member, Bob, visited their club.  Kiwanis pass around a happy dollar box which you can put in a dollar to tell something good about yourself or wife or whatever.  This guy says he went to his wifes' 50th high school class reunion in Iowa last summer.  On the way back home to MN after the reunion he says to his wife--Did you every in your wildest dreams think that when we met that I would go with you to your 50th high school reunion?  She said--You were never in my wildest dreams!!!!!  Ouchy ouchy!

Like RedGreen says, "If the women don't find you handsome, at least they will find you handy."  LuckieEddie says--My father-in-law, a former builder, can make or fix just about anything. My wife, having grown up in that sort of household, expects me to have the same skills. She is always disappointed.  Ouchy ouchy!

SwenFromMN says--When you were young, it was a privilege to stay up to see the new year in.  When you were middle age, it was something you were suppose to do.  When you are an ol' snow bird from MN, you really don't care.  AverageJoe says--Be reasonable out there.  Treat others like you want to be treated.  The other ol' snow bird might have some defects that you are not aware of (i.e. don't jump to some wild conclusion).  They might be covering them up with some "make up"!  Don't be a DuaneTheWorm and think you are God Almighty!  ItchieBitchie says--This is hard to understand but...!  Give me a place to stand and I will move the world boasted Archimedes!  But Job's intimate knowledge of his own utter helplessness made him oh soooo powerful.  Think through that folks.  Quite a contrast.  Best bumper sticker I saw recently here in the Valley--Dog spelled backwards is still man's best friend!  That, being humble, is sorta kinda a "bitter brew" for some.  Talk about bitter brew.  When we got here I thought my coffee that I made wasn't very tasty.  Thought maybe I was just getting old or something.  In fact I thought it was really bad.  The third morning, I noticed that when I rinsed out the coffee pot there was soap suds in the pot.  Someone really cleaned out the pot with soap but did not rinse it well sooooo my coffee was not good.  Such is life.

SusieQ says--There is pain in gettin' old.  As long as it's happening to someone else, pain is but an abstraction. But when it touches you the whole picture changes now doesn't it.  I must admit that many times I'm not very considerate to others like I should.  There might be a reason why they act the way they do and I just don't know.  And old age brings upon more of those pains and issues.  If we like it or not. CadillacJack says--The mystics teach us that to appreciate the joy and fulfillment of life we must experience pain. I really don't care what the mystics teach, I don't like pain.  PickleballPat and I were talking at pickle ball the other morning.  I told her that I just heard three folks' stories of how they are in pain of some sort or another.  PickleballPat said--I use to play in a 55+ softball league.  After the games, it seemed like most everyone was hurt (i.e. tried to do things that they no longer could do--trying to be a super, super hero). Then I joined a 65+ league and it seems like not as many got hurt (i.e. they finally realized that they can't do it the way the use toooo)!  Such is life.

OldSnowBirdJimFromMN says--Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, because if I'm not home in time for breakfast, my wife, OldSnowBirdHelen, tells me I'm going to be in a lot of trouble!  Old folks often do strange things, at least in the eyes of Boomers and Busters.  And you know what, Boomers and Busters do a lot of strange things in the eyes of the ol' folks toooo.  Such if life.

John Grisham's book Racketeer--The main character said his dad is 69 and came to visit him. He said--his dad never quites telling him how to live his life. I wrote that down. I think that is interesting. I hope I don't tell my kids how to live their lives.  It is very frustrating for many parents when their children want to do things differently than the parents think they should. Or when they think differently than the parents. Parents all learn that. many old parents think they are always right and many of the younger kids think their parents are just old. It's probably always been that way and will continue (i.e. it's just an old tradition maybe). Such is life.

I talked to WildWillie form MN the other day.  He was not a happy camper even though it was a beautiful sunny day here in AZ.  I wonder how you would act if you were WildWillie who has three adult children in all variances of delinquency, plus a wife who is crazy!  Ouchy ouchy!  OldDufferDuff says--The easiest day was yesterday!  Ouchy ouchy!  "Insufficient facts always invites danger." ~Mr. Spock, first officer of the Star Ship Enterprise~  WildWilly says--Don't worry about old age, it doesn't last that long!

FountainOfTheSunBetsy down here in Sunny AZ said--I very quietly confided to my best friend OldLadyBetsy that I was having an affair.  She turned to me and asked, 'Are you having it catered'?  And that, my friend, is the sad definition of 'OLD'!  I participate in a golf outing at the Fountain of the Sun Country Club each Saturday morning.  It consists of 124 old folks both male and female.  After playing, many have brunch together.  They call it the Mixers.  The old cronies I play with are fun.  We have a good time.  ANYWAY we are waiting on the tee for the foursome ahead of us.  84 year old ExChiacgoPoliceOfficerMel said facetiously--They shouldn't let those old ladies play; they are tooooo slow.  The Ex Chicago Police OfficerMel took a 8 with a three put on the next par four hole.  He said--I'm going to play another 20 years and then give it up unless I'm improving!!  Oh those bloody seniors as BadToTheBoneWayne a.k.a. WayneTheAce (i.e. ya he got an ace) says!!!  BadToTheBoneWayne wears an outy shirt (i.e. I didn't understand what an outy shirt was--it's a shirt that he wears outside of his pants).  This Canuck has a special language!!  He lifted up his outy to show me his suspenders!  That's what that old golfer wears!  Such is life.

When you get to the age of spending the winter in a condo in AZ, it's not a nail bitter any more.  You are pretty much what you are.  You pretty much know what's going to happen next.  You know it's coming at some point.  You are reminded every year with friends, acquaintances and neighbors who aren't back.  It happens every year folks.  Sooooo enjoy every day of your life.  Maximize each day. 

I brought along our $4 battery operated digital clock to AZ. We used it when traveling internationally for our back up alarm clock (i.e. our cell phones didn't work there). When I unpacked, I set it on the dresser Looked at it and the figures were all goofy a.k.a gobbledygook. I looked again the next day and it was the same. I said to myself--That's what you get with a $4 clock. Then the next day I realized I had the clock upside down. Da! There wasn't anything wrong with the clock but just with it's $4 old owner. I hope that doesn't carry over to my golf game! Such is life!

Ol'ChubbyWilmaTheWonder says--I just like to sit on the couch and eat chips and watch TV.  MagicMike says--And then there are others!  GeorgeTheCrook says--Bring on tomorrow, I can handle it!  I'll just do what I have to do in whatever my life brings.  Yagottafinish!  Bobby Jones (i.e. one of my heroes) says--We must all play the ball as we find it.  Such is life.

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans.  (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--When a man gets too old to set a bad example, he starts giving good advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment