April 9, 2016

her story

I was sitting in the back of the room helping a student with math when the teacher, Julie, told something to her class about her falling either hiking or biking or something. I just heard bits and pieces of it. I was curious and later asked her if she would share her story with me. We all have stories but many times we don't have the opportunity to share them for many reasons. After reading her story, I though it was a perfect time for her to share her story on my blog. It just seems like a great fit. Sooooo here is her story (i.e. used with her permission).

ItchieBitchie says--Stories are really powerful things, and it’s in our hands whether we use them for good! Maybe they are opportunities. Maybe!

Hi Erv:  


I would love to share my story about my mountain biking accident.  It was 15 years ago.  On a typical morning, my husband, Brian and I would head out for a hike or a bike ride in Usery Park. Our home borders the park, which makes it very convenient for daily work outs.  That morning I decided to go by myself.  About a half an hour into the ride, I found myself sitting on the ground and looking about 25 feet down into a giant wash and saw my bike, helmet and riding gloves laying at the bottom.  I was stunned, bleeding and had no idea how I had gotten there.  I found my cell phone and called my husband.  I said "come and get me".  He said "where are ;you?" I said "I don't know, but they are coming to get me."  Needless to say, Brian, panicked.  He had an idea where I was, so he got on his bike and headed for the desert.  After riding for about 20 minutes and not finding me, he called my phone back. By that time, the people that I had seen hiking toward me, answered my phone.  This helped him to relax a little, realizing that they were helping me. My initial phone call gave him reason to think I was being attacked, since my speech was slurred, due to my injuries, and I was very confused after being knocked out.  They had called 911 and a helicopter was on its way. The fire fighters had hiked in and were with me, by then. The hikers directed Brian to where I had fallen.  When he finally arrived, I said " does it look awful?"  He said, "You've looked better."  I have no memory of the accident, accept for the recovery, that followed. 

I had broken my jaw in two places, knocked out eight of my front teeth, broken my nose, had over 100 stitches in my upper lip and nearly bitten off the tip of my tongue.  As my three young children watched from our house, I was air evac'ed to the hospital, where an amazing surgeon put me back together.   My husband and I were both teachers, and had  just begun our summer vacation.  My jaws were wired and I had flippers for teeth, but that didn't stop us from enjoying our annual trip to Michigan.  My children  enjoyed taking care of me.  My son, Wyatt, who was 8 years old at the time, thought it was cool to feed me through a syringe.  

It took about two years to complete all of the dental implants and a minor plastic surgery, but I made a full recovery.  This experience helped me to be patient and to trust that all of life's  twists and turns can teach us something. I definitely learned to be more empathetic with people suffering a trauma in their lives.  I have not continued to mountain bike, but I do enjoy a ride around Mackinac Island every summer, when we visit. 

Thank you for asking about my experience.  It's funny to talk about it, so long after it happened.  We have had a lot happen in our lives, since then.  My children have all graduated and headed off into their adult lives.  My son, Wyatt chose to join the Army in 2012, at the age of 19.  Unfortunately, he was killed by an IED in Afghanistan 15 months ago. My bike accident seems kind of small, compared to the adjustments we have had to face this past year.  I know now that all the events in our lives, no matter how big or small, create a  foundation for coping to help us navigate through the rest of our lives.  Brian and I have been very fortunate to have a strong marriage and faith.  Along with our two amazing daughters and a big extended family we share memories and continue to see the good around us.  Wyatt was doing what he wanted to do, so we continue to be very proud of him.  He was planning to attend Michigan State University on the G.I. Bill after his service.  So my students help me to continue that legacy for him.  

I  know this story was a little more than you were expecting, but I think it is important, as you do, to share our stories and maybe help to give others a sense of perspective to each of our individual journeys.

See you next week,

Julie

How did her story affect you?  Can any of you relate to it?  If you have anything you would like to tell Julie or share something in your life with Julie, send it to me and I will forward it to her. OPPORTUNITY! CadillacJack says--Never pass up an opportunity; it might not ever come again.  WorldClassLarry says--If you can uplift someone, it's great for the person but it's great for your own heart as well!  

Joesixpack says--You always can't plan your life now can ya!  When in CO, I played UNO with little Jimmer and Erin.  Little Jimmer (i.e. 4.5) was dealing out the cards.  He stacked the deck by giving himself all the wild cards, skips and draw four cards. I said he couldn't do that; that's cheating. He said--Grandpa, I'm just getting ready for the game! He did it 'cause he wanted to win of course. Everyone wants to win and have live their life that way.  No surprise!  He didn't win.  He crawled under the coffee table and pouted!  I tried to tell him that he has to learn how to lose as he will lose a lot in life (i.e. I don't think he understood).  Such is life.

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-;

erv

MyFriendJean says--Peace is the absence of trouble. Peace is the presence of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment