February 4, 2012

coming around

Listen up you hockey pucks!  Okay who became famous for calling folks hockey pucks?  I bet more snowbirds know than do the younger generations.  FYI, stuff in this "It's Saturday" is not secretive but for some it's highly sensitive though.  There's no doubt about it. I'm not kiddin' ya folks!

Joesixpack says--I think she's coming around.  What does that mean anyway?  Is she becoming like a round ball or a round barrel?  Or is it that she is changing and starting to act the way he wants her to act?  Maybe she's like a boomerang and coming back (i.e. she's coming around)?  Joesixpack, I don't know for sure what "coming around" means but if HerbTheCankerSore doesn't come around soon,  he will find himself in a roadside ditch with dirt on his body or worse yet, lights out!  Talk about comin' around!  John and Roberta, snowbirds in Mesa, were touring their brand new house her in the Valley. It was a house that Roberta had paid for with her money, a fact of which she constantly reminded John. In each room of the house she said to her husband: "John, if it were not for my money, we would not be here." John didn't say a word.  That afternoon a truck delivered a load of new furniture...furniture which Roberta paid for with her money. After the furniture was in its place, they toured the house again. As they observed each room, beautifully appointed and magnificently decorated, Roberta reminded her husband: "John, if it were not for my money, this furniture would not be here." Again, John was silent. Late in the afternoon another truck came with a special piece of furniture which was to be the focal point of the family room. It was a combination stereo-television-computer center all wrapped into one gorgeous piece of furniture. Roberta paid for it with her money. When it was in place, Roberta again said: "John, if it were not for my money, that beautiful electronics system would not be here." Finally, John spoke:  "Honey, I don't want to make you feel bad, but...if it were not for your money, I wouldn't be here either!"

Around and around and around we go, where we stop no one knows.  The other day when playing pickle ball, the ball went off the court by the sidewalk.  As I was retrieving it, folks were coming back from the activity center where they were severing free coffee and donuts.  I came face to face with this very round lady and said--Soooooo you're coming back from free coffee and donuts!  She said, ya we are.  I said without thinking--Sooooooo how many did you eat?  Ouchy ouchy!  She came around with a right hook and that's how I got my back eye!  Only kidding about the right hook but she did give me a different look. 

Comin' around!  I was coming back from playing ping pong at Sun Life the other day.  I was riding my bike east on Broadway just before Power when there was a vehicle in the bike lane up ahead.  As I got closer I could see that the van had a flat tire and the guy had the rear door open.  I asked him if I could help him.  Jon (i.e. I know it was Jon as it said it on his shirt and also said Maintenance Leisure World).  Jon didn't really say much soooooo I just started helping him.  Then a big diesel pickup pulls up behind us and a guy gets out and asks if he could help--I said sure, more help is always good. Again Jon didn't say much.  Sooooo this guy and I are changing the tire and he says--I''m Tom Cooper and want to invite you to our church Broadway Christian.  I said, we go there and I know Pastor John a little.  Pastor John suggested I read the book, Who Stole My Church by Gordon  MacDonald (i.e. I just got done with it--bought it on Amazon used--it's a great read about church change--it's not a b c or 1 2 3 type of book but a story of a fictitious church and change--interesting read and very thought provoking).  ANYWAY back to changing the tire.  Tom is the Mission Director.  We talked about some of their mission projects they have going.  Jon didn't say much.  When we got done, Tom gave us his card and said to me--see you in church.  And he looked Jon right in his eyes and said to him--If ever I can help you in any way, just call me.  Jon didn't say anything.  Tom went back to his pickup and I got on my bike.  End of story.  Huh, interesting.

MissPerfect says--You are only one defining decision away from a totally different life (i.e. and what do you think would be such a defining decision that could totally change your life?)  Sooooo many folks seek the key to the meaning of life, not realizing it's a combination lock.  MissPerfect asks--When do you know when you are coming around anyway?  Good question MissPerfect.  When we were in Waukee last weekend, we went to a business that had some sayings on the walls.  I took a few pictures of them.  They were sayings about life.  Sooooo guess what kind of business they came from.  You IA folks might even know what business we were at.  Answer later.

Talk about comin' around!  My Daddy, Chester, would tell me--Most folks don't spend enough time thinking (i.e. think things out).  They don't take time to strategize but go off half cocked.  That makes them reactive instead of proactive.  I really believe that I need "strategize retreats" in my life.  Time alone so I can focus and plan and think and mediate and pray.  I really believe in order to be really constructive, a person has to have quit time.  That's my opinion folks.  ItchieBitchie says--Tooooo many folks waste there time 'cause they don't think before they act (i.e. sitting on the couch eating chips and watching TV).  Wasting time is wasting your opportunities. Thinking makes a person come around! We need to listen more for guidance.  James 1:5 says--If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him (i.e. God will give us wisdom if we just ask).  Pastor John says--God will give you wisdom but you still must make the decision (i.e. and decisions have consequences).  SupermanRich says--God  predestines everything sooooo I have nutten to do with it.  Total predestination, I think is hogwash (i.e. my opinion).  Maybe our prayer should be--Lord speak to me.  I'm listening! 

These guys make the highlight reel!  They are really that good.  These guys are sooooo full of wisdom (i.e. they just drip with wisdom) soooo I got them together and tried to learn from them.  They are a retired GM engineer, a wounded Koren War Pilot, and a ND beet farmer who flew helicopters in the service.  They are all very successful (i.e. age 85, 78 and 75.  I meet them through golf over three years down here in the Valley.  I invited them to come over to our condo patio and just talk.  I learned a lot from these guys.  I want to come around like they did.  I picked their minds!  The wisdom only cost me some popcorn and some beverage!  Pretty cheap wouldn't ya say! 

Bush gave Obama some guidance.  Did you know that?  When Obama took office, he had a short session with Bush.  Bush told him that he is popular now but it probably won't always be that way.  When that happens, I have put 3 envelopes in the desk drawer for you.  Sure enough, the public became unhappy sooooo Obama took out the first envelope and opened it.  It said--Blame me!  He did and it seemed to work for a while but things again went bad.  Sooo he opened the second envelope and it said--Blame Congress!  He did and it worded for a while but once again things went bad sooooo he opened the 3rd envelope and it said--Make 3 envelopes!!!!!

GeorgeTheCrook says--Ya gotta keep pressing on in life.  On and on and on!  Keep pressing on!  CadillacJack says--Your face is a reflection of your life.  Saturday question--What does your face look like anyway?  It looks like you have it all together it seems boy!  Do you really?  You look sooooo goood.  Is it as goood as it looks?  How do you see your future life?  "The Best thing about the future
is that it comes one day at a time." ~Abraham Lincoln~
Joesixpack says--Facts are facts and will not disappear on account of your likes. Coming around in managing his finances.  GeorgeTheCrook says--It's how you manage the small stuff that will determine how you mange the big stuff.  Instead of watching the dollars, you watch the quarters and dimes!  It says in the paper soooooo it must be right, that 75 to 80 percent of martial splits involve finances.  That is why maybe a good financial advisor could really help like a mentor or someone who seems to do well with their personal finances.  Saturday questions--Do you manage your money much like your parents do?  Did your parents teach you good money management? Where did you learn to manage your money? If you are married, does your spouse have the same philosophy of money management as you do? 

We have a tendency to do things very fast before thinking.  We live in a fast society...sooooooo fast that the cell phone companies advertise that they are 13 seconds faster.  13 seconds folks!  SusieQ says--You are what you think and what you do!  What you put in will come out.  I play with pickle ball players who get better 'cause they practice.  Huh, interesting! I try to mimic the good stuff of the stronger players so I can get better.  I suggest we all get a mentor and mimic him/her.  When you go fishing you catch more fish if you hire a fishing guide--in golf, we hire a pro to teach us a better swing etc.  Maybe we should have a guide to help us manage our money, a dating coach, a marriage coach and a death coach!  What do you think?  They might help us come around! 

AverageJoe says--I don't know much about life in general but I do know that all folks are not created equal.  Sooooo AverageJoe, what's really important to you anyway? Sometimes we do what we have to do in life.  Even when we don't want to do them.  Even things that we don't want to do!  But we do them 'cause it's the right thing to do at the right time.  Our lives are shown through our family, friends, other relationships (i.e. both social and business) Such is life.  WildWilly says--Everyone wants the good life, but too many people fail to find it because they're looking for it in the wrong places.  Society often promises that you can find the good life by pursuing goals that seem good, such as earning more money, gaining more friends, or becoming more physically attractive.  But those are just empty promises that can't really fulfill you.  Only a relationship with Jesus can give you the good life that God has designed you to crave. Placing your hope in anything less – even if it's something good that God has created
turns into idolatry that interferes with your relationship with Jesus and actually leads you away from the good life that God wants you to enjoy.  Saturday question--What does your life look like anyway?

LuckieEddie says--I'm comin' around now.  Things are going my way!  But MOST times, what you want and what you get are two different things-- We all want to know where we are going. We all want to know what we are aiming for. We all want to know where the end of the line is (i.e. what we are shooting for).  PlumberJoe says--It's like a dog chasing a car, when he catches it what is he going to do with it).  Many times in my life, once I get to where I want to go, I find out that it's not what I expected (i.e. I'm sometimes disappointed).  MissPerfect says--I hope when everything is said and done (i.e. death on this earth), I don't find out that I had my latter leaning against the wrong wall!  Ouchy ouchy!

I heard on TV sooooo it must be right that 1 out 10 folks take medication for depression.  I read in the paper sooooooo it must be right that they might be redefining mental illness.  The new guide might brand as metal disorders some common behaviors, including having temper tantrums three times a week or a lack of sexual arousal...everyday disappointments, sufferings and eccentricities are being redefined as psychiatric disorders and that could lead to medication treatment (i.e. sell more pills to make more money).  Seeeeeee, I always said, we are all mentally ill but just do different degrees.  Such is life.

Life is soooooo interesting, scary, happy, rewarding, amazing, disappointing, unbelievable, changing, exciting, unpredictable, fulfilling, challenging, and soooooo much more.  Lord, facing life today, we turn to You and ask for guidance to direct us to what is important and to cast off the unimportant plans of our lives.  Jack Welch, the former CEO of GE once said--When the rate of change inside an organization (i.e. or life) is slower than the rate of change outside an organization, the end (i.e. of that organization or life) is in sight. 

My golfbuddyJohn and I are volunteering at the Phoenix Open today.  We are working at hole #16.  That is the crazy hole where folks bet which caddie will touch the green first and boo bad shots.  It should be quite an experience.  My golfbuddyJohn is important and has connections (i.e. it isn't what you know but who you know).  Such is life.

The pictures were taken at Homemakers Furniture Store.

LuckieEddie says--Life is confusing at times; I don't know which way to turn. This is not secretive but for some it's highly sensitive--The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live our life!  Saturday question--What does our house look like (i.e. our internal house)?  Isn't there a song that goes something like this--This world is not my home, I'm just a passin' through...!

Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--It's not so much where you stand as in what direction you are going.

Bonus coverage--About life with Steve Jobs  http://pathwaytopurpose.ca/2012/01/steve-jobs-rules-of-success-and-the-bible/

No comments:

Post a Comment