June 23, 2012

Senior stuff

OlManJones ran in the 100 meter dash last Saturday at the Iowa Senior Olympics . He was about 100 years old and ran well. Everybody complimented him on how athletic and well-preserved he appeared. "Gentlemen, I will tell you the secret of my success," he cackled. "I have been in the open air day after day for some 75 years now."  We were very impressed and asked how he managed to keep up his rigorous fitness regime. "Well, you see my wife and I were married 75 years ago. On our wedding night, we made a solemn pledge. Whenever we had a fight, the one who was proved wrong would go outside and take a run."

There were a lot of seniors at West Des Moines let me tell ya.  We stopped for a water at a convenience store and had quite an experience.  The senior guy ahead of me in the check out line either couldn't hear or was a was a bit confusion. The cashier said, "Strip down, facing me."  He did as he was told. When the hysterical shrieking and alarms finally subsided, he found out that she was referring to his credit card.  They asked him to shop elsewhere in the future.  They need to make their instructions to  *seniors* a little clearer I think!

Joesixpack says--Don't think stupid about running erv.  You're not 18 anymore sooooo don't be soooo aggressive.  At the Iowa Senior Olympics I hurt my hamstring running the 100 meters.  I hurt a muscle in my side playing pickle ball.  I ran soooooo slow in the 5K that I couldn't possible hurt myself! But it was a fun experience. 

It's all Chester and Annas' fault that I enjoy crazy things.  Yes it is.  I read this while eating my oatmeal with a half a banana on it--With a father like Jehoshaphat, how could Jehoram turn out so badly?   On the other hand, we have his wife and his in-laws to take into account. Misguidedly, though with the best of intentions, the king of Judah had married his son to the daughter of the king of Israel. With a father-in-law like Ahab, and a wife like Athaliah, how could Jehoram not turn out badly?   He was going to not only die of a horrible disease but also with a terrible reputation. You could blame it on Ahab’s bad influence; there would be truth in that. Or you could blame it on Jehoshaphat’s bad judgment; there would be truth in that.  The blame game is as fashionable now as it was then. (“It’s the government’s fault, society’s fault, my parents’ fault, anyone’s fault but mine.”) It is human nature to want to shift responsibility. When he came to face the judgment of God, however, it was Jehoram’s own free decisions that counted in the end. Prayer:  Today’s decisions may be more far-reaching than we realize. Keep us alert, Lord. Author: Michael Wilcock  Oh ya, decisions have consequences and you get to make the decisions.  WiseOldLawernce says--Be careful who you hang around with and who you get your advice from and who you pattern your life after.

The best of all the preachers are the men who live their creeds. ~Edgar A. Guest~

 MissPerfect says--As  I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of  myself.  I've become my own friend.  As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You  care less about what  other people think. I don't question myself  anymore. I've even earned the  right to be wrong.  I like  the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am  still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or  worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if  I feel like it) or play pickle ball or hike or bike or run or golf or...!

Coming back from Des Moines the other day, I came behind a SUV.  It had something written on the back (i.e. no bumper sticker but actually painted on the tail gate) so this person must be serious.  As I got closer it read--If you are going to ride my butt you are going to get a new hood ornament.  Soooo I passed the SUV as I was interested in who the driver was.  It was a little old lady!  Go figure.  I bet an aggressive little old lady.  She made it easy for me to make an impression of her (i.e. an impression that might be entirely wrong). 

Talk about wrong impressions.  CaptainDiane and I were playing a couple in mixed doubles pickle ball games at the Iowa Senior Olympics.  About half way through the match with this couple, CaptainDiane said to me--I sure underestimated these folks (i.e. meaning that she didn't think they looked like much competition before we started).  They beat us!!!  What a hoot!  Good stuff!

I'm not going to take the chance that they might thing I'm...!  I played some golf with Luke and Cade (i.e. age 13) the other day. Luke played the round in his stockings. No shoes. I asked him how that came about. He said--he forgot his shoes one day and so he played in in stockings. He liked it soooo that is what he does. I don't think I will try it. You try it and report back. Now really a 13 year old boy can do it and it's okay but if a 66 year old codger would do it, well they might think he's losing it or something!  This action would probably produce sly and stinging remarks. Okay, I'm admitting that yesterday I hit some balls on the range barefoot.  It was fun!  Such is life.

Here is some pickle ball advice from SeniorBigPete (i.e. his advice could be used in many parts of our lives)--Erv, Yes, if both opponents are weak, I hit easy shots to them, .... until we are in danger of losing the match... when I ramp it up. So the real answer is no, I won't let them win , but I'll let them feel good by coming close. The interesting scenario is when playing a team with one very strong player and one very weak. I always hit the ball to the strong player, never to the weak player, even if it means losing. Winning by hitting to a very weak player would have no satisfaction to it. It also gives me more practice receiving tougher shots. But interestingly, most of my opponents in a similar situation, still hit it to the weak player! I can't see the thrill of that in any way... but to each his own!

I was talking to a friend this week who was telling me that her daughter-in-law was taking care of her great grandson.  Now that summer is here, the mother will be taking care of him as she is a teacher.  My friend told me that her daughter-in-law was ready for a break.  She was tired.  Taking care of an infant is a lot of work.  My friend told me that she and her husband took care of three of their grand grand children for a rather long period of time as their mother got divorced.  Soooooo I asked my friend--Do you think younger parents appreciate what grand parents and great grand parents do?  She thought maybe not as much at the time but they will maybe understand as they get older.  Huh, interesting.

I talked to SeniorMelvin this week.  I had to put my glasses on to read something.  I asked Melvin if he wears glasses.  Ya he does and pulled out a pair from his pocket.  He said--I can usually read if the lighting is good but...!  I'm just a little far sighted. We discovered that both of us did a lot of shooting with our 22s when kids back on the farm.  We both thought we were pretty good shots (i.e. that is how we remember it).  Melvin said his dad allowed him one box of bullets a week (i.e. 50).  Then Melvin went on to say--We have a lot rabbits out on our farm that have been eating my wife's flowers.  Soooo I took my 22 and 3 bullets out there but couldn't hit a thing!  What!  Melvin said--Sooo I put on my glasses to see the sights better but then the rabbits were blurry!  Man-o-man!

More memories for you seniors.  This week I noticed our neighbors kids (i.e. Sam a sophomore in college and his kid sister Katie a high school senior) carrying a 7-gallon pail of water across our yard to the school ground behind our house.  They had their dog with them.  They would pour the water down a gopher hole to get the gopher out and the let their dog chase it.  That sure reminded me of my summer days back on the farm a mile and a fourth south of Roseland, MN.

LuckieEddie says--Everyone should keep a mental wastepaper basket, and the older he grows, the more things will he promptly consign to it.

I got this picture from BigJim (i.e. our friend from the ice cream capital of the world, LeMars, IA--home of Wells Blue Bunny--we got to know them in AZ the last couple of winters).  BigJim and and his sweet wife Karen (i.e. good folks with huge massive hearts--my kind of folks) run in the Senior Olympics in IA and also in MN.  BigJim writes-- #503 is Harold Bach – World Record Holder in the 50 meter dash in his age division (90-94) at the age of 92 – at the Minnesota Sr. Olympics.  He also is very competitive in the 100m, 200m and the 400 meter.  I think I can beat Harold????, not sure but I think I can J  ----- By the way – not to confuse you Harold is #503 and I am #537 J

BigJim placed 3rd in the 5K in the 65 to 70 age bracket (i.e. 24.50).  Hank a.k.a Secretariat got 2nd (i.e. 22.43).  I got 5th I think.  There were only 6 guys running in our age bracket.  Sooooo I beat one guy! I heard he got lost and also had to stop to pee.  And I still had to sprint to beat him at the wire!   All I have to do is continue running at my same speed and get to 92.  I might have a chance for a gold!!!!  BUT I will still need to beat BigJim and Secretariat!  Such is life.


Have a FUN day my friends unless you have other plans. (-:

erv

MyFiendJean says--You are never a loser until you quit trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment