June 15, 2012

What's happening

I won't have access to Internet in the morning soooooo "It's Saturday" is a little early this week.  I am participating in the Iowa Senior Olympics.  Thursday my friend Secretariat and I did mixed doubles, men's doubles and singles in pickle ball in DesMoines (i.e. 17 games.  It was a hoot.  Saturday morning, we are doing the 5K and the 100 meter dash.  Secretariat is doing a couple more of the running events.  ANYWAY my mixed doubles partner, Captain Diane (i.e. met here as part of our pickle ball club in AZ last winter who is from West Des Moines) said to me into our third game--I was soooooo nervous!  Then she hiut a great shot.  I said to here--Great shot.  She said--That isn't where I planned to hit it!  She a real gal alright.

You might think this "It's Saturday" is a boondoggle!  Everyone has different opinions.  That is why we have horse races and the Olympics and wars and NBA Championships and U.S. Opens and soccer games for 4 year olds!  Talk is cheap but let's see who's the best..

What's happening?  We had the opportunity to take care of Easton and Erin Saturday night as James and Heather went to the Concert at the Red Rocks.  They heard Big Todd and the Monsters and The Bare Naked Ladies.  I didn't ask if Todd really had a big head and if his buddies were really monsters or if the ladies were really bare naked.  6,500+ made it a sell out.  Some folk must like them!

A friend gave me the book, The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri J.M. Nouwen.  I like Nouwin's philosophy and Rembrandt's paintings sooooo I really enjoyed it.  I suggest you give it a read. You can buy it on Amazon for a dollar used plus shipping (i.e. pretty good buy compared to a six pack of beer). The book made me realize that I'm not near enough compassionate, not near enough generous, and not near enough forgiving! I think I think I'm a lot better than what I am (i.e. I over rate myself--over rated over rated!). Oh ya! Soooooo many times I behave like a fool and not like a prudent person. I have been watching some NBA playoff action. They are sooooo physical and occasionally they get upset with their opponent (i.e. can't take it anymore) and retaliate (i.e. fight back). They can't handle it anymore so they explode (i.e. some times it almost creates a bench clearing brawl). Not good. Are we that way sometimes--I've had enough and retaliate. After SusieQ retaliated she said--If I would have know the residual effects of my retaliation, I would not have done it. BUT I didn't think of that when I was in the moment. Think before you retaliate SusieQ. It makes life much easier.

I recently had the opportunity to have lunch with a very nice, pretty, young female executive who has much responsibility.  She and I have a strong connection as she is one of my mentor's daughters. We are also friends.  I wanted to meet with her in her business setting (i.e. face to face) and tell her some things her father told me about her in our many years of being friends.  It was touching for her and made me fell very good.  She needed to hear these things from me I thought.  She cried several times. 


A friend sent me this response to the ice cream comment of last week--Love that I Scream comment.  For five years, yes, I was rather dumb, I played basketball against Strawberry Point.  Their cheer.. "I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.  What flavor?  STRAWBERRY"  Those of us from Edgewood in the stands would yell "Chocolate" at the same time as their Strawberry.  I've taught this to all the grand kids.  They love it!!!  Hey folks I want you to know that I only take Erin out for ice cream to make sure she gets enough calcium!  She looked low!!!!  It seemed to work.  If you have trouble with understanding that you might not understand fractions either.  I saw this on a bumper sticker on a Outback at The Rock Sunday in CO--4 out of 3 folks have trouble with fractions.  Oh ya, next time we will get strawberry ice cream for Erin.  That will take care of her calcium and fruit for the day!  Sounds good to me!!

When in CO we went to Erin's soccer game (i.e. a game of 4 year olds).  Well, it's sorta kinda a  soccer game.  Some cried, some didn't want to play, some picked grass, some looked at the sky and some really didn't care at all.  They all liked the donuts let me tell ya! Erin scored a goal.  It was a great kick right into the opponents goal!  She thought she was great.  It really didn't make any difference to her.   It was really fun to watch the parents let me tell ya!  Oh those parents.  Some are much more competitive than others let me tell ya!  Such is life.

BigPete a.k.a. theturnitonandturnitoffguy and I were talking strategy of pickle ball.  There is a balance of using techniques to win or just playing socially.  We question ourselves when to do each.  We were talking about playing doubles and always hitting to the weakest player's backhand (i.e. good move to win).  BigPete sent this comment back to me--Yes, it's kind of unfair on the surface, and I tend not to do it much in fun situations.... but when you are in tournaments... or against Duane the worm... hit to the weak player always... he he.. p.  Saturday question--BigPete, do you ever let others win on purpose?  Do  you ever hit shots back to folks that are real easy for them so they can hit it back and feel good? 

I called a friend going down I-80 @ 80 mph.  He and I had a short conversation on the golf course and I wanted to hear more.  I asked him the difference between religion and faith.  He said he has a very simple answer--religion is something outward and faith is something inward.  Soooo I ran in Parersburg's Run to Remember a few weeks ago.  I ran in the division 60 to blank, meaning no limit of age.  They are being nice.  I saw in another run they said--60 to death as the division!  Talking about that death.  Sooooo when you die can you're family hire a pastor for $100 to say that you're saved and it's a done deal, you're in heaven with Lord.  ItchieBitchie says--I read John 3:16 and it says--For God so loved the world tht he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  ItchieBitchie, I thought you altogether clueless but now I have changed my mind.  Soooo do you have to go to church to be saved?  Answer that one ItchieBitchie! My opinion on those issues comes from Isaiah--His understanding I cannot fathom.  God is God and that's just the way it is. SusieQ says--I do know that when folks think they have all the answers (i.e. think they are God) they are not very wise.

Let me tell what's happening folks.  Sitting in the recliner in CO late one night thinking about my day (i.e. reflecting and giving thanks) I read what another Jimmer had to say (i.e. I call Easton Little Jimmer 'cause his middle name is James, his dad's name is James and my middle name is James).  ANYWAY this other Jimmer says--What causes fights and quarrels among you?  Don't they come from  your desires that battle within you?  You want something but don't get it.  Joesixpack says--I can testify to that happening!  Oh ya!  Saturday question--Do you get offended easily?  If you do, why do ya?

I was taking some notes at Church Sunday.  Heather said--I bet you are writing down that stuff which describes DuaneTheWorm.  I am.  She asked me who DuaneTheWorm was?  ANYWAY  there are two kinds of folks:  those who build folks up and those who build themselves up.  The pastor went on to say--DuaneTheWorm is a resounding gong and a clanging cymbal.  Yep, that's DuaneTheWorm alright.  You all know who DuaneTheWorm is.  He's something isn't he!  The pastor also said--If you are going to error, error on the side of scripture!  Preach it preacher!

We went to Jazz in the Park at one of Denver's parks Sunday evening.  There are thousands of folks with kids, dogs, food, games, beer and God only knows what else (i.e. one huge massive picnic).  It's just a fun realized time.  ANYWAY there were four guys close to use that were doing something strange (i.e. strange to me anyway).  They took cans of beer and used their car keys to slice a hole in the side of the full beer can. Then they put it to their mouths and popped open the can and drank the whole can of beer without stopping.  What!  Then they threw the cans to the ground and stomped on them.  It looked crazy to me.  Sooooo I emailed James to find out what he called that again--shot gunning he said.  I told James I was going to get my foursome together on the first tee and do that with our Diet Mountain Dews.  He said--I bet you $5 you will puck.  I didn't see any of those guys puck.  I bet one of the four pucked before the night was over he said.  Sooooo James, help me connect the dots.  First you buy a can of beer, pour it down your throat, stomp on the can, and then puck.  I must be missing something here.  Maybe I will get some of my church buddies together after the service with 12 ounces of coffee and do the same.  I bet that will really impress everyone in the coffee room.  You think sooooo?

Have a FUN my friends unless you have other plans.  (-:

erv

MyFriendJean says--Think you can or think you can't, either way you're right.

No comments:

Post a Comment